Author Topic: Question about rings and bases  (Read 335 times)

Offline holahead

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
Question about rings and bases
« on: December 12, 2009, 07:04:33 AM »
  I have a question for those smarter than me. I have always used Weaver type bases and rings. I have never had any problem with this set up. But I am wanting to try something new. I am looking at the Leupold rings and bases. What are the pros and cons of the standard set up versus the dual dovetail set up? Is one better than the other? Are they about the same? How about one piece versus two piece? Can someone please educate a brother. Oh yeah these will be going on a 243. Thanks

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Question about rings and bases
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 09:57:21 AM »
I'm of the option that nothing is stronger than the Leupold and Burris Dual Dovetail set up. The Talley Rings I just put on one of my ARs fit tightly into the picatinny base and likely are equally as strong. Standard Weaver type rings aren't quite as strong or solid but the worst of the worst are those silly windage adjustable types on the old Redfield patent as made by so many companies these days.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Question about rings and bases
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 11:46:22 AM »
I like Weaver type bases and Burris Zee rings. I have used Talley light weight one piece rings and Leupold dual dove tail rings. All are good.  The Talleys are light and have less to come loose.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein