Author Topic: Rossi Single Shot guns ? ?  (Read 1781 times)

Offline preventec47

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Rossi Single Shot guns ? ?
« on: December 10, 2009, 10:08:15 AM »
I have never inspected up close but these guns seem very similar
to the H&R guns.  Has there ever been a connection ?

From looking at website it appears they have significantly fewer calibers
and barrel options but they do show a 7.62 x 39   which I have seen
some interest here with the H&R rifles

If anyone here has ever owned one of the Rossi guns, do they
do anything better than the H&R guys as far as a particular
aspect of the rifle or shotgun etc?

Thanks

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Rossi Single Shot guns ? ?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 10:18:00 AM »
I do not have any expirience with Rossi.  But just today I was considering picking one up in 410 for my 6 year old to start out with. I would also like input on these guns. For only $170 3 lbs I would think it would be a great starter shotgun.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 10:27:37 AM »
Rossis are made in Brazil, H&Rs are made in the US, always have been except the imported NEF repeater shotguns, there's some similarity in the single shot design, but that's where it ends.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,189294.msg1098944259.html#msg1098944259
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 12:09:32 PM »
I do not have any expirience with Rossi.  But just today I was considering picking one up in 410 for my 6 year old to start out with. I would also like input on these guns. For only $170 3 lbs I would think it would be a great starter shotgun.
I have a rossi 410/22 youth set. It weighs 3.36 pounds with the 410 barrel  and it does kick more than a 410 H&R youth  for a small child  I would stick to the H&R. The 410 combo in the only thing I will even look at that they make. because of being made on a 410 sized frame it is 2- 2 1/2 lbs lighter than anything else, and there are times I'm just out woods bummin I don't need anything heavier. Any time I am seriously hunting I take my H&R 20 or 28 ga
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 12:27:06 PM »
I have a Rossi 223/20ga combo. It is actually a very nice little package and came with a couple of goodies (strap, carry case). I would probably use it a lot if I didn't like my H&R/NEF's so danged much.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 04:15:57 AM »
Rossis are made in Brazil, H&Rs are made in the US,

That is enough difference for me.

Offline TYM2MOTR

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 06:42:11 AM »
Here's another one to add to the equation.  Comparing my H&R Tamer 20 (USA), Rossi 7.62 X .39 (Brazil) and .410 Sure Shot Model 87 (China) I see both differences and similarities.  The pins in the frames are all in the exact locations, and the overall frame size is very similar, but they differ slightly.  Just picking up the model 87 suggests a close connection to the H&R / Rossi design.  It's interesting that the Model 87 comes with the ATI stock / forend set / barrel heatshield, the exact same one they make / offer for both the H&R and Rossi.  The only difference in the set up is the adapter plate for the butt stock. 

For myself overall I think the H&R is a better built gun than the Rossi, which is fine too.  The Sure Shot is a bit crude around the edges in comparison, but it's a tight little gun and I like it as well.

http://www.clearviewinvest.com/detail.asp?product_id=SSG8700

Offline SteveHawaii

• Avid Poster
  • Having fun at the Koko Head Shooting Complex
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 10:37:23 AM »
I have the Rossi Trifecta.  It's got a youth synthetic stock with .22, .243 and 20 gauge barrels.  The .22 shoots pretty good.  Not a tack driver, but 1" at 50 yards is pretty good for such a short barrel. Broken down the .22 will fit in my briefcase.  The .243 and 20 gauge kick like a mule.  I put a limbsaver slip on recoil pad and that has improved things a lot.  The 20 gauge barrel is simply too light in the Trifecta.  Definitely not for children!  The muzzle rise is pretty radical too.  I shot some slugs out of it the other week and it kept knocking off my ear protection.  The gun is good for packing because it's light, but not so good for shooting for the same reason.  It is however, well made.  No complaints there.  Get the full sized gun if you plan on shooting it a lot, or use reduced loads.
We rarely think people have good sense unless they agree with us.
- Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 10:26:10 AM »
I have a rossi ss 357 mag and it's one of the best brush guns I have ever had. Nice and light and shoots 1.5" at 100 yards with the hornady LE ammo. I also had a rossi 308 and that was accurate enough when I finally got a scope on it that could handle the recoil, it was absolutely brutal. The H&R ultra varmint 308 I have now seems to kick less than my stevens 200 in 308.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 05:25:55 PM »
2 things no one has mentioned...Rossi 410 is Mod. choke and the newer Rossi's have a safety switch on them.  Major differences from the H&R's.  Never owned a Rossi, can't say anything about how they shoot.  I like my H&R's.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 05:51:33 PM »
looked at on in the store the other day the latch shelf had a very bright wear spot on it on the right side  about half way up and only 1/4 of the way across.Good price right at 200 for a rimfire, center fire and a shotgun barrel, but i'll stick with the handi
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline Dustyvance

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 06:03:14 PM »
I have owned both and as long as the Handi's are around, I will never own a Rossi again.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 06:19:42 PM »
the 357 mag rossi is the only one I have now, wouldn't give it up for the world. I would bet it shoots as good as any 357 handi. don't get me wrong I have a few handi's and love them too, but that 357 mag is a great gun.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline MLN1963

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 05:26:28 PM »
How do the triggers on the Handis and Rossis compare?
TC Omega Dream Season
CVA Optima
CVA Electra