Author Topic: 20 gage Encore base  (Read 796 times)

Offline FredWT

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
20 gage Encore base
« on: December 31, 2009, 03:48:32 PM »
Didn't know where else to post this, I figured you guys would have an answer. I picked up a 20 gage rifled barrel for my Encore, what weaver style base do you use that uses all 6 screws. The only thing I see offered is for 12 gage, no. 9949T, is there a difference?

While I am here, how well does your 20 gage Encore barrels shoot and with what ammo?

Offline FredWT

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Re: 20 gage Encore base
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 01:47:27 PM »
I guess I stumped everyone. Called T/C they said the 12 Encore has a special/different base, the 20 just uses a standard base. Now I know.

Offline pozoutdoors

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 02:07:02 PM »
That good to know!!! I plan on getting a .20 ga. slug barrel for my encore in the near future!!!!

Thanks,
Poe

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 03:34:22 PM »
My  Blued 28" 20ga Prohunter Liked the Rem. Buckhammers and the Hornady SSTs.  Do a search in the T/C rifle forum!   
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline ptpalpha

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 07:40:17 AM »
Just a quick warning on the SST's...they shoot great at the range but in my experience they're performance on game leaves a lot to be desired.  I'm switching to Winchester Partition Golds, as they actually expand when hitting deer and don't leave an exit hole the same diameter as the entrance hole (which is what the SST's have done on three seperate occasions.)

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 11:40:33 AM »
Really?  I have used them In a 12ga Encore barrel since they came out .  I thought they performed great.  I can't actaully tell you how many deer I killed with them. but has to be close to 10.   I have a Nice 8 point on the wall that the slug peformed great on.   It killed it.    I used the Hornady H2k's Before the sst's . they did the same.
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER

Offline ptpalpha

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 03:51:27 PM »
I guess I should clarify that my experience with the SST's is in 20 gauge. 
I'm curious as to where you hit the deer you killed (not trying to stir the pot, I'm honestly curious as I would love to continue using these slugs...they are very accurate).  I've read that sticking with shoulder shots is the way to go with these, but I hate to destroy the extra meat. 
Also, did you recover any of the bullets and see how they expanded?  I didn't recover any, and have only the tiny exit wounds to draw conclusions from.

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 04:25:32 PM »
I have never recovered One always pass through shots.    I always shoot Behind the shoulder through the lungs and neck shots ( if close enough I feel I can make the shot.)   I personally could care less if it expands or not. The deer Is dead..   I can say with the 12ga sst's  the exit is always a little bigger than the entrance.  Think of it as using hard cast Bullets.  Do they expand?   Also you don't have much body mass or bone when shooting behind the shoulder.  That could be why you don't think your getting expansion.  As long as you hit the lungs, heart or spine you have a dead deer. How many deer have you shot with the 20ga sst's ? I'm curious as well  whats going on.
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER

Offline ptpalpha

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 02:28:28 AM »
3 deer with the 20ga SST's, all behind the shoulder shots, two deer recovered after long, long trailing sessions with 2 guys helping me, third not recovered.  No blood trail to speak of, drips here and there at the point of impact, dwindling to nothing within 20 yards.  Neither of the two deer recovered were quick kills, with the deer living for 3 hours in the first case, and 5 hours in the second.  Both had to be finished off with a second shot after finding them, which doesn't sit well at all with me.  The second one left me so sick that I didn't hunt for days afterwards, and even then I hung up the Encore and hunted the rest of the season with my muzzleloader.

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 06:28:13 AM »
Sounds Like Bad shot placement to me.   If you hit a deer in the lungs and have two holes,  1 in and 1 out your going to have lots of blood.  Sounds like you hit them too far back and High or low in the diaphram.   I have done this a few times . The deer taking a step Right when you pull the trigger is the cause most times. 
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER

Offline ptpalpha

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 09:05:31 AM »
That's really the only conclusion that can be drawn, unfortunately.  I need to hug the shot closer to the shoulder.  :-[