Author Topic: Using a Barrel De-resonator on a Slug Gun  (Read 1470 times)

Offline hunterpat

• Trade Count: (0)
Using a Barrel De-resonator on a Slug Gun
« on: January 21, 2010, 10:25:20 AM »
I took my new Savage 220F out last weekend and the accuracy was not as good as I hoped for (best 3 shot group at 100 yd was 3-4").  I tried several types of ammo, but a 3-4" group is as good as I got.  Has anyone tried a Limbsaver barrel de-resonator on a slug gun and does it help improve the accuracy?  Since it is a shotgun, I assume I would need to use the bull barrel version.  I have one on my Savage .270wsm and it seems to help that gun, but I have never seen anyone try it on a slug gun.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Using a Barrel De-resonator on a Slug Gun
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 11:06:30 AM »
It would be interesting to see what would happen... BUT, even the bull barrel version is far to small I fear for a 12/20 ga shotgun.

I have used them on a rimfire with excellent results. I have them on a couple other barrels, but haven't really "wrung" them out. I dont see what they wouldn't work just as well...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline JimFromTN

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 04:46:06 AM »
Have you tried Remington Accutips, Federal Barnes Expanders, and Winchester Partition Golds?  People have had good luck with these slugs in their 220's.

Offline hunterpat

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 06:42:46 AM »
I have tried both the Rem Accutips and Fed Barnes exp. tipped.  Both are giving 3-4" group at 100yd.  I have not tried the Win partition golds yet.

The Accutips and Barnes ammo that I have used have all been 3" - has anyone had better accuracy with 2.75" than with the 3" shell?  I figured since the sabot has less distance to travel to engage in the rifling with the 3" that it would be more accurate.

Offline JimFromTN

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 07:10:41 AM »
I shoot 12 ga slugs and the 2 3/4 inch slugs are more accurate than the 3 inch slugs.  It could be different with 20ga, I don't know.

Offline ptpalpha

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 12:16:06 PM »
As for 2.75 vs. 3", my opinion is that it's up to your particular gun.  Some prefer the 3's, some the 2.75's.  Kind of stinks that in addition to paying all that money for different brands of premium slugs you also have to buy two different sizes of each, but I guess it falls under the "accuracy ain't cheap" category.

Offline chromeslayer

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 12:37:34 PM »
the slugs Savage suggested shot the best out of my 220.. with the Federal Barnes Expander Tipped being the best... make sure you base, rings, etc are all tight.. and make sure your using a solid rest.. shooting off a car hood dont count as a solid rest  :)