Author Topic: The Ethical Sportsman  (Read 881 times)

Offline Heartland

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Heartland Outdoorsman
The Ethical Sportsman
« on: October 27, 2003, 03:23:23 PM »
What do you do that  makes you feel you're an
"Ethical Sportsman"?
Don't hold back, long rants and diatribes are most welcome.  :wink:

Thanks!

Mike
Win A Coleman Tent!
Heartland Outdoorsman

Offline Dave in WV

The Ethical Sportsman
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2003, 03:30:41 PM »
Obeying the law, being safe, being considerate to others, respect what you hunt, respect others, don't take questionable shots, hunt within your ability and limitations. Help others learn about good sportsmanship. I'm sure there are other things to add. Dave
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline High Brass

• Contributor
The Ethical Sportsman
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2003, 09:38:50 AM »
I'll second what Dave in WV said and add some more.  Around here in eastern NC, you see alot of dead deer missing antlers and heads just thrown in ditches.   That's one thing that chaffs my rear.  If you are gonna kill something, eat it or take it to someone that will.  Another big one is realizing that on public land, you aren't the only one that has the privilage to hunt there.  I could go on about that one but I figure you get the idea.

Offline billmaly

ethics
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2003, 01:50:44 AM »
I try and learn from my mistakes, and not repeat them. I've done some misguided and stupid things in the woods, I learn from those errors and do not repeat them (often  :-D ).  Not doing stupid things often leads me to being a better, more ethical hunter.

Another thing I don't do is describe my hunts in grisly, bloody detail to people who are sensitive to such things. I know a few guys who like to shock and disgust the non hunters by describing how a deer went down, whether it was quick or slow, how much blood was spilled, showing bloody pictures of a hunt, etc. These tales do not do us hunters any favors, they paint us with a wide brush as cruel, bloodthirsty savages. An ethical hunter is not cruel, nor bloodthirsty. By respecting the sensitiviites of non hunters, even anti hunters, I like to think that I bring credibility and respect to other hunters, myself included. Am I pulling a few punches? Sure I am.  

One other thing I hear a lot is "I'm going out to kill something!" NO NO NO. Again, painting us as bloodthirsty killers. I hunt to get outdoors, to enjoy time alone and with others, to observe animals, and to put meat on the table. I am not out there to kill for the sake of killing. Any hunter who allows others to think that he is out there simply to kill is not doing his sport any favors.

How do I practice ethics? I try and show myself and other hunters in as positive a light as possible, I don't try and shock or offend non hunters, and I try to cleanly kill and process all game that I take.

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
The Ethical Sportsman
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2003, 05:01:22 AM »
Follow both the game laws and ethical laws to the best of my ability which sometimes can be a problem when they conflict, especially when the game laws are in direct conflict with ethics.  Examples include: including wounded/lost game as part of your limit, Stop hunting before legal shooting hours when lighting conditions are poor, realizing and sticking to your skill limitations.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline Heartland

• Heartland Outdoorsman
The Ethical Sportsman
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2003, 01:51:28 PM »
I've posted this question on many sites and email lists, and the answers (over 200 logged!) resulted in an article for a local outdoors publication.
I'm working on Part 2....
If you've read this and haven't responded, please do, it's important that these thoughts are presented in the public eye.

Thanks!
I'll let you know when the new article is printed.

Mike
 8)
Win A Coleman Tent!
Heartland Outdoorsman