Author Topic: check these out! let me know what you think.  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Hunter Fishman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
check these out! let me know what you think.
« on: December 09, 2009, 02:12:23 PM »
I shed hunt allot!
I found a few matched sets this year & wanted to share these pics with you guys & get your opinion on them.
I know what kind of deer they are from but don't want to tell until I get a few guesses. ;D

This first pic is of my best set of the year.

1st. what kind of deer do you think they are from?

2nd. do you think this is a nice size rack? mass & length ? there aren't any hidden tines, what you see is what it is.

This next one is my favorite & also a birthday gift from the good lord above, Thank you sir!
What do you think about this deers unique characteristics?
He is a cull buck right? well if he was harvested he would be. right?

Cool looking deer huh? By far the coolest deer I have ever had my hands on. Its a shame he has been dead for over a year. Most would say that these are the deer you want to take out of the jean pool.
I dont agree. I like the more unique, uneven or odd racks. He measured over 16 inches tip to tip, 20 inch outside spread, has a 3 1/2 & 4 1/2 inch brow tine & has almost 5 inch oval bases! :o
He's in a bucket soaking right now so no unofficial full score yet.

Well, what do yall think???

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: check these out! let me know what you think.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 05:57:16 PM »
If you'd use the photo URL rather than page URL you could have them show up like this. I'm not doing the others cuz of all the dang popups on photo bucket. Use www.myhostedpics.com offered by us and there will be no popups.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Hunter Fishman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 11:29:08 AM »
No reply to this yet? ???
WOW! I thought I had somthing good here...

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 11:32:01 AM »
A skeleton won't last 3 weeks around here.  Hair would be all you'd find.  It looks like a whitetail rack to me.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 11:36:47 AM »
For some reason there has just never been much interest in shed hunting on this site. I once had a guy who seemed to live for it and we set up a shed hunting forum for him but no one participated so I deleted it and move the posts back into this forum.

Folks are all ga-ga over big racks during hunting season but seem to have no interest in the racks once they are shed. I pick them up and keep them when I find them but make no special effort to go out looking for them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Hunter Fishman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 12:15:17 PM »
I was just hoping to get an opinion on weather people thought these were nice racks or less than average to them. I think they are great racks given the area & state they came from! I guess thats all that really matters to me. 70 some odd people looked at this so far & two people replied & one answer to my questions... :o
my feelings aren't hurt, I just thought it would be interesting to share with everyone.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 01:09:29 PM »
Would be very nice racks for here. The pair in you hands in the photo above has more mass than any I've personally run across here tho I've seen bucks taken by others with that much mass.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline pozoutdoors

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 05:27:39 PM »
My lil brother found these last spring. They were side by side!!!!

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 05:47:20 PM »
I'll guess Coues deer. the background in pics looks dry to me.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Hunter Fishman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 07:04:08 PM »
OK, I'll let the cat out of the bag.
Believe it or not they are all from southern mule deer.
I live in southern California & that is the only kind deer we have down here.
I think its really cool being able to hunt mule deer with whitetail like antlers.
I have only found 1 antler with four points that even resembles a mule deer antler.
The rest of them are either 3x3 with eye guards/4x4's or small forkies 2 pts.
heres what I got this year.

Its not much but this year I think I will find the mother load... I hope.
most people who do this in oregon or canada fill high country packs with antlers in a single day!
The most I ever found in a day was 2! or 1 and a skull.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 10:28:33 AM »
i've only ever found 2 and one of those wasn't a shed it was abroken off main beam. would've been a nice buck here in central N.Y. though.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline mrbigtexan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 04:34:04 PM »
hello, the best place to find sheds around here is along fences. when they jump fences they rattle them loose. can you post up some pictures of live deer. i am interested in the southern mule deer that you have and would like to compare them to my mule deer here.

Offline ihookem

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 04:44:32 PM »
I knew it was a southern deer, but wouldn't have guessed Kalifornia. The shed from pozoutdoors is a northern shed, I can usually tell. There are no wolves where the skeketon was found, it would be in 1000 pieces after 2 weeks.

Offline Hunter Fishman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 05:39:34 PM »
can you post up some pictures of live deer. i am interested in the southern mule deer that you have and would like to compare them to my mule deer here.

sure, I have had several photo worthy encounters with my mule deer, I dont have access to the good ones from previous years until I fix my computer.

I have allot more. I was only able to post these because they were still on my camera to download on my folks computer.
We have small high dessert southern mule deer. Over on the north side of the high country on the same mountain range that I hunt, There are some really nice big muleys but I would rather hunt where I do for smaller deer rather than run into more people than deer. Its a small zone with 1500 over the counter tags & its elbow to elbow hunting. theres over 2000 that hunt though!
I don't hunt specifically for large deer, I hunt for the experience.
I will have my computer back up in a few weeks... hopefully, & then I can post more pics If they can be saved.

Offline D Boone

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 06:10:18 AM »
What good tips for a shed hunter in easter nc?  I have never found a shed, found skulls of all kinds, empty turtle shells, arrowheads... Where do you look for sheds if you don't have fence lines?  I have scoured the woods before looking with no luck, thats probably because they are in the brier thickets!

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 06:36:33 AM »
Try hedge rows along the edge of food sources, I've herd that when the antlers get loose they annoy the deer so they will rub to try and knock them off.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline Hunter Fishman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 10:37:15 AM »
What good tips for a shed hunter in easter nc?  I have never found a shed, found skulls of all kinds, empty turtle shells, arrowheads... Where do you look for sheds if you don't have fence lines?  I have scoured the woods before looking with no luck, thats probably because they are in the brier thickets!

I have found that deer all over the country shed them at different times during the winter.
My deer are ready to shed right now, & some of the bigger ones may already have! It varies from year to year because weather is not often consistent from year to year.
Remember, the bigger ones get seniority for breeding rights & have no use for carrying antlers any longer there after.
In allot of states antlers get eaten quickly by rodents & critters for calcium. you have to get on them fast!
If its not eaten by critters, they are picked up by avid shed hunters like myself.
watch these shed hunting videos by a friend in Canada.
his youtube name is hunter0055, real name is Mike.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=shed+hunting&search_type=&aq=f
you can learn allot from his shed hunting videos, he shows dates he finds them, new sheds,old sheds, live deer & he got a heck of a deer this year & on video too!
Some deer knock them off while most let them fall off naturally. Talk to some folks in your specific area to find out when they shed as well as laws & regulations of when or if you can legally pick them up. Some public areas are closed during the winter & other places say you cant remove anything from the forest, not even a pine cone. Its like that here in southern CA. Its just not enforced,forest service doesn't care & gave me permission because most antlers don't get eaten by critters & the rest get picked up by everyone any way. The forest service office is full of em that they pick up while on patrol.
If I find any antlers that have been chewed on I like to leave them because I know they are being used & are important to the health of small critters.
Some areas in certain states have a shed hunting season. watch firefox9277's shed video from montana.
There season is may 15th & is a county wide event!

Back to where to look for sheds, your guess is as good as mine! I have found them out in the wide open, along tree lines,next to large shrubs,next to downed trees,under bushes,on top of bushes, on deer trails...
Timing is key to finding them before they are gone. 

Offline Hunter Fishman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 02:18:24 PM »
I just found this one yesterday!
I found it right next to a heavily used bike trail. Its the biggest one yet I think. Not as many points as others, he's only a 2 pt. but has a base the size of a beer bottle! :o
It is probably 2 years old & still in perfect condition other than staining & mild cracking.
usualy they would be eaten by rodents but some get missed.
Who says you cant find sheds year round? I found 3 yesterday, 12/20/09
Another month & I'll be finding fresh ones!

notice how close it is to the bike trail?