Author Topic: Short barreled hand gun accuracy  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Woodsman1

• Trade Count: (0)
Short barreled hand gun accuracy
« on: December 29, 2009, 07:25:58 AM »
Hello all, im new to the forum, and i have a question you may be able to help me with. I have a new S.W. 686, it has a 2 1/2 barrel, Ive not had a chance to shoot it yet. I was wondering from those of you out there, that own short barreled handguns, what kind of accuracy can i expect at a reasonable distance ?  Thanks you so much for your feed back.
I do it better outdoors !

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Short barreled hand gun accuracy
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 08:02:14 AM »
Woodsman1, a big welcome to the forum.  That revolver you have is capable of more accuracy than most shooters, probably including me and you.  I saw Bob Munden shoot a short barreled S&W J frame at a balloon 200 yds away and break it with the first shot.  The only thing that makes the longer barreled wheel guns seem more accurate is the longer sighting plane.  I had a S&W 586 6" shortly after they hit the market and it was the most accurate handgun I have ever owned, but like a dumb a$$ I sold it to fund another gun.  I would like to build one of these K frames into a custom 44 Special sometime, as I think they are the perfect platform for these calibers.  Good luck and good shooting.

Offline Noreaster

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 08:36:01 AM »
That is a great firearm. I wish I had one to take along bow hunting. I use to shoot an older S&W, (Model 66 I believe,) with a 2.5 inch barrel. Very accurate firearm. The adjustable sights are perfect on the model 686 + a good trigger right out of the box.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 08:54:19 AM »
I had a Dan Wesson Pistol Pack for a while and it had a 2" barrel for it.  Very similar in frame size to My 686.
Out to 50 yards you will be able to hit a deer.  Not worried about that.  You will need to practice with it.
My 686 is a 6" silohuette model and I have it sighted in out to 150 yards and off hand can hit a clay pigeon.  It may take me the whole cylinder to do it but I can.  Have played with my 2" Det Special out to the same distance and once you figure out where to put the front sight you cna come real close.
If you are talking about 7 yards for IDPA or other shoot.  If you take your time and the smallet the target the smaller your group. 

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 08:56:30 AM »
I shot my highest LE qualifying score ever with a completely stock 21/2 inch K frame, but police courses are a whole different world then trying to shoot minute of coyote at 75 yards. I am learning to appreciate 6" barrels now that I don't have to carry them all day every day.  I'm sure the potential accuracy of the 2 1/2 incher is fine, but I'm finding that I can make shots I couldn't have dreamed of making with a smaller gun.

Offline Jack Magnum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 10:49:55 AM »
Hello all, im new to the forum, and i have a question you may be able to help me with. I have a new S.W. 686, it has a 2 1/2 barrel, Ive not had a chance to shoot it yet. I was wondering from those of you out there, that own short barreled handguns, what kind of accuracy can i expect at a reasonable distance ?  Thanks you so much for your feed back.
Like almost everybody here agrees, More accurate than your likely to hold. My father used to win matches against the cops and won quite a few trophies using a 5 shot lightweight S&W revolver. I had a model 19 snubby and would ride to the sand pit and shoot at swallow holes and really be surprised at how close I could shoot at 100yds.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 12:14:22 PM »
It is not that short barreled guns are less accurate than their longer barreled counterparts it is that they are more difficult to shoot accurately.  This is due to the short site radius and generally rudimentary fixed sites that 'snubbies' are usually equipped with.   Put a set of Crimson Trace laser grips on a 2" J-frame and you will be amazed at how accurate it can shoot.

With much practice even a non laser grip equipped snubby can shot with surprising accuracy.  I can hit 6" plates at 25' from a two-handed, unsupported, standing position with regularity with my 2" Model 60, often scoring 5 for 5 shooting at a fairly fast clip.  One day years ago I sat at a bench and shot the heads off of stocks of grass 50' from the firing line using a sand bag and shooting single action.  I didn't score 5 for 5 but probably 2 or 3 for 5, enough to prove to myself that it wasn't just a fluke. 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 06:48:59 PM »
I agree with Brett.  I have a 2.25 Ruger SP101 in 357 and once I got the Crimson Trace grips I could make 2 inch groups at 15 -20 yards easily - plenty good for discouraging bad guys.  BUT, if you plan to take it hunting, check your regulations. In some states its illegal to use electric lights for taking game.

Went out yesterday tho to practice with the 101 for the first time in over 8 months - my "accuracy" was BAD.  I need to get to practicing again on a regular basis.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 12:09:50 AM »
You can 'dong the gong' (12" steel plate) at 100 yds with a snubbie once you figure out where to hold the sights; it's a hoot - actually, a 'dong'..............

Offline Woodsman1

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 05:43:59 AM »
Thanks everyone, I guess i need to get out and fire a few rounds though it.
I do it better outdoors !

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 09:25:12 PM »
In my younger days I had to qualify every year, and I never scored under 100 with my 2.5 in. S&W 19. Awesome little gun.

I never had one, but I always thought that the 2.5 in. 686 was the best balanced hand gun I have ever picked up. It is just like pointing your finger. The short barreled K & L frames are terrific combat guns. You're really gonna enjoy that 686. Congratulations on a fine choice.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 02:10:21 AM »
I would guess that your smith tied down in a ranson rest would shoot real tiny groups but as much as i like short barreled guns a 2.5 inch 357 would be tough to do any precision shooting with. I need at least another inch of barrel lenght to really shoot well.  Very cool self defense gun though
blue lives matter

Offline oldhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 02:22:44 AM »
Using the proper rests and shooting off a bench, my S&W .44special, model 696 with a 3" barrel is very accurate.  Although a bit heavy for extended concealed carry, of all my handguns, this is the one I prefer to carry.

oldhunter

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 05:11:54 PM »
I have a S&W, Military & Police  Model 10  38 special that I bought in 1972 with 2 inch barrel and fixed sights---at 25 yards I can keep all 6 in a paper plate standing--using a two hand hold, single action.  Been so long since I last shot it off of a sandbag--I can't remember how it shot that way. You will just need to practice with it. Might want to consider taking up reloading if you don't reload already--makes shooting more affordable, and people who reload--usually shoot better than people who don't becouse they can afford to go shooting more often.

cybin