Author Topic: 1 st. Michigan Regiment  (Read 1370 times)

Offline gary michie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • michigun3.com
1 st. Michigan Regiment
« on: March 05, 2009, 09:12:51 AM »
Hi: ;D
Well  it's been a while and I've been snowed in toooooooo long were down to about 3 feet of snow on the flat and melting.
This winter I turned out a 12 lb M.H. (waiting for wood) sending it to seattle to be bronze next week.
Our battery will spin off a new battery for it with a rifle squad to do close support for the infantry,  we even have a horse and rider to move on and off the field.
I'll post pic as soon as I get a host( the one that I'm useing to display my eagle here says I'm useing all my bandwith or what ever just doing that) . The closer I get to retirement the more brains go.
Any way this makes three 1st Michigan batterys our two and Pokes Battery who portrays bat.B when they galvanize. We wish to establish  a 1st Michigan Regiment here in the north west and are inviteing any other 1st.Michigan battery to post there name on the roster.It may be just fun to know where we all are and maybe even share the same field one day. My email for this  michiegr1@msn.com 

Rampa room,and or Cannonmn could you post this over at North-South Skirmish Association
my account there is not working right, my password doesn't match my user name but when I go to change/fix this I'm told  they do. :-\
Artillery Huzzah
Gary

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: 1 st. Michigan Regiment
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 07:09:56 PM »
Gary -

THANKS for the update!

Tim K
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline navygunner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 07:25:59 AM »
Gary,
   Hey redleg, what battery are you with? Will the MH be a separate battery? I'm with Battery D 1st Michigan also with the U S Naval Landing Party which is fielding a section of Mtn Howitzers back east. They should have one gun at Zoar Ohio I think. I'm over in flint.

Offline gary michie

• Avid Poster
    • michigun3.com
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 08:23:14 AM »
NG: ;D
So pleased to hear from you
We are 1st. Michigan Light Artillery, Battery E. We are based out of Spokane Wa.
There is a landing party here in WCWA all so they are the USS Tahoma.

In the 1st. we are coming out of the winter with 18 members and at last count 10 new recruits. A good deal of our cannoneers are war vets lots of ground pounders, some Air force and Navy ,two Marine Artilleryman both "lifers", they know ther stuff.

The MH. will be a separate battery, "E" didn't have a MH we had Parrotts. We are LOOKING for a Michigan battery that had a MH in their Barttery, Do You Know of One?
Please tell  1st Michigan Battery "D" we would be honored to put your Company on the roster that will be read of at ever company paraide ( speak their name and they are immortal)
Please sent the info.

your servant
Captain Gary Michie
!st.Michigan Light Artillery
WCWA
Spokane wa.
Gary

Offline navygunner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 08:49:33 AM »
Captain,
   Battery D also had parrots, all but one were captured are Chickamauga. Currently we have 3 parrotts, a mtn howitzer and a 12 pounder bronze napoleon in the unit. Off hand I can't think of any unit that was outfitted with the MH's as they are more a cavalry support weapon. Just too far outgunned to be effective at counter battery fire. If you are members of the NCWAA you can contact Captain James Newkirk of Battery D from their website.

Your Servant Sir,
Geo Dailey
gunnersmate USNLP (western waters)
Pvt battery D 1st Mich.

Offline gary michie

• Avid Poster
    • michigun3.com
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 10:35:52 AM »
Well I got the pic. up and running(I hope) so here goes.
I made the barrel of 1026-519 dom and the breech of crs 1026. Here in WCWA we can not use cast anything barrels so we build steel ones. I didn't want to bore 4and 5/8" the length of the barrel so I used the thick wall tube. I wanted a strong breech/powder chamber so I made 1 piece then screwed then together using 4 threads per inch for 6 inches then welded.  If my math it right there is about 1000 foot pounds of torque on the threads me on a 6' bar.
I pocket my trunions using a tappered radius these are set in 1/4" with a .150" trench around the trunion for a good weld fill, then polish and plating it's in there now will show you the bronze finish product as soon as it back home. http://s633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/garymichie/?action=view&current=018de3f2.pbw
Gary

Offline gary michie

• Avid Poster
    • michigun3.com
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 03:59:18 PM »
Well getting the wood for this cannon was a fight but the outcome is pretty good here is the photos I posted last time with 2 of the finish Mountain Howitzer.
I am now drilling 33" barrels for the gatling.
http://s633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/garymichie/?action=view&current=018de3f2.pbw
http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/garymichie/mountainhowitzer007.jpg
http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/garymichie/mountainhowitzer003.jpg
Gary

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 06:12:35 PM »
Gary Michie ,You did yourself proud , the bronzed Mountain Howitzer is gorgeous. :o Having it bronzed made all the difference in the word , I was involved in 2 full size builds of Mountain Howitzers with cannonmike and they didn't shine like that . Do you have a feel for how durable the bronze plate is ? Robin

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 08:31:26 PM »
Quite impressive! Thanks for posting!
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 02:24:21 AM »
is it electro plated or hot spray plated ??
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline navygunner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 04:33:13 AM »
The bronze sure makes the MH look impressive well done Battery E.

Offline gary michie

• Avid Poster
    • michigun3.com
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 01:06:08 PM »
Hi ;D
Thank you for your kind words.
On the plating, I think its going to hold up. I asked for a heavy plateing and I had a mishap, and because of it I see I got somewhere between .005 to .010" of coverage. In the bore Im sure that it will wear from cleaning but a reenactment gun making just noise and very little heat being retained at the mussle I don't think it will peel.
Yes we do look very clean but that was at the first of the battle at the end we are pretty bloodied up and 1/3 of us are helped off the field. We are a bunch of HAMS.
Gary

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 08:46:18 PM »
Gary,
Your photos show a top-notch build, for both barrel and carriage. I know that bronze plating of steel has been talked about here before, but I think you're the first to do it; it'll be interesting to hear how it weathers the burning of black powder.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline dynomike1x1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 12:26:29 PM »
Anyone know about what it cost to bronze a mountain howitizer?
There are very few probablms that can't be solved with explosives.
2/115FA

Offline gary michie

• Avid Poster
    • michigun3.com
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 01:13:26 PM »
It cost $500 to do the mountain  Howitzer so $750 maybe $850 for the big boy.The problem is the weight.
Gary