Author Topic: Night shooting with ported handguns  (Read 640 times)

Offline redawg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Night shooting with ported handguns
« on: October 19, 2003, 09:10:05 AM »
I've been thinking about a 4" barrelled double action in either a 44mag or a 41 mag.  I've read alot of good comments on Taurus products and was just wondering about night blindness with their ported barrels.  I was also curious if anybody uses Buffalo Bore or Cor Bon ammo in these guns.  Haven't checked anywhere to see if this would be too hard on them.  Thanks!

Offline HappyHunter

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2003, 01:51:43 AM »
I find that you get star eyed using a four inch barrel in a 44 mag without porting...your ask a good question.  

This may be another thing we men can do that will make us go blind! :shock:

Good luck, stay safe with you eyes.

Fred
Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.

Offline Questor

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2003, 07:17:47 AM »
Unfortunately I don't have a total answer, but it may help.  I shot some 185 grain Remington ammo in my 44 revolver once and the muzzle flash was by far the most spectacular of any sporting arm I have seen. Since then, I've used heavier bullets (various 240 grain and 300 grain loads) and have not had such a brilliant flash with any of the loads.  My point is that  you may want to try some 300 grain bullets. It may give you less flash.
Safety first

Offline redawg

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2003, 12:26:59 PM »
Thanks for the replies!  Using heavier bullets for less flash makes sense.  Hey cknight98, how well do you like that Mountain Gun?  I'd also considered that one and was just wondering what kind of loads you use.  BTW, is $450 a good price for one NIB?  That price is before transfer fees.  Thanks guys! :D

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2003, 02:18:36 PM »
the muzzle flash is nothing more then unburned powder once it reaches the end of the barrel it all ignites. If you use a heaver bullet more powder is used up in the barrel that is why you see less muzzle flash if you use less powder you will see the same results

Offline redawg

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2003, 02:32:17 PM »
Thanks for getting back with me about that Mountain Gun cknight98!  I'll probably have to order one after I get a scope squared away for my SRH.  Thanks again! :D

Offline jfruser

Ported Handguns at Night
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2003, 08:48:48 AM »
If you're going to use the weapon to shoot without a light of any sort & rely on your night vision, forget about ported bbls and almost all the magnums.  Even if there is no muzzle flash out the bbl, the flash at the cylander gap is blinding enough.

OTOH, if you're going to use a light to aid your shooting, ports are not going to hinder your performance.  For example, when things go "bump" in the night, and my wife pokes me in the ribs to check it out, I take whatever pistol or revolver I keep in the nightstang along with a quality light.  I use the "top-of-hand pressed to top-of-hand" technique (can't recall the actual name).

I am not about to shoot at anything I have not positively ID'd while in the house, so that means a flash goes with me or the gun stays behind, too.  Same goes for ANY room clearing activities anywhere.

After doing this for a while, I came to the conclusion that tritium night sights are not all that useful in most light-reduced situations.  At these short ranges, with a decent light a flash image of the front sight post is all you need, if that.  One of those fiber-optic front sights might be just what the Dr. ordered.