Author Topic: Best Brass for 32-20 in Contender  (Read 510 times)

Offline buckeye509

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
Best Brass for 32-20 in Contender
« on: December 16, 2009, 02:03:48 PM »
I am looking for thoughts on the best brass to buy for the 32-20 WCF. I will be reloading in an RCBS setup. I plan to use it for General Purpose plinking, and "just for fun" target shooting. The round will be exclusive to one 10" barrel in a TC Contender. The choices are Starline, Remington, and Winchester. I've read that Starline rims are a little thinner than the other two. Does that make much difference? Any help appreciated.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Best Brass for 32-20 in Contender
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 11:19:23 PM »
Get what you can and don't worry about it.

The 32-20's only problem is thin brass, its the way it is, no manufacturer can really fix this. But careful single stage loading practices will greatly reduce losses. It's a great old caliber!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline buckeye509

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 02:00:30 AM »
It's a great old caliber!!!

That's one of the reasons for getting the barrel. I guess I'm somewhat enamored with these fine old cartridges. Provided you want to wait for it, a Bullberry barrel can be had a very reasonable price. I've had an order for it since July and will probably get it in January.

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 08:42:55 AM »
I have some Starline and some Winchester.  Both perform well in my Contender.

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline Echo4Lima

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 07:11:38 PM »
Starline probably the best.  Thicker than others.

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 07:15:04 PM »
They are all fine.  Starline brass is a favorite among wheel gun enthusiasts because it fits well into star clips, though I prefer Magtech (a little tighter, but not as tight as winchester), though the last point is irrelavent to your question.  Bottom line, it's all pretty good stuff.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 04:54:15 AM »
For rimmed cartridges, I prefer Remington. For non rimmed. I prefer Norma, then Winchester. Norma is irrelevant in this caliber.Remington brass seems more like mil-spec brass,which is fine in rimmed brass. On the other hand,for non rimmed, Winchester is thinner,and this allows a little better load density before I get too much pressure. I reach higher pressure signs at a lower charge with Rem brass,thus lower velocity. In the 32-20,brass choice is probably irrelevant.

Offline Echo4Lima

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 01:33:44 PM »
The thicker the brass the easier to load.  Less chance of crushing/tearing.  Some of them are so thin it can be a problem.

I've used both Winchester and Starline.  I liked the Starline better

Offline buckeye509

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 03:15:25 AM »
Thanks for you comments. I ended up with Starline. You're right about it being thin walled. Patience, a soft touch and attention to detail will also be key components in putting rounds together.