Author Topic: grunt tubes  (Read 731 times)

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
grunt tubes
« on: November 10, 2003, 12:53:09 PM »
how does one use a grunt tube the right way?

I have tried several and yet to have a deer come in to me. most of the time the deer will just walk away and pay me no attention

Offline Myk

• Trade Count: (0)
grunt tubes
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2003, 05:32:52 PM »
If it's a buck either a challenge grunt or a tending grunt usually will draw them in. Some times I'll do both. "I'm after this hot doe. Hey you SOB, stay away from my woman."
Tending, uhh uhh uhh uhh uhh uhh
Challenge, buwaaaaaaaaaaa uhh

If it's a doe or a fawn (does grunt just as low as a buck) an occassional buwaa just to let them know you are there.

When you are sitting around seeing nothing blow it short every few minutes for a bit every half hour. It gets boring blowing it all day long, try to time it so any deer that may have had time to walk in will hear it.
I had a tree creaking once that I think called in a little doe. It was creaking the whole time I was there. She came in looking for something and bleating.

Once while searching for a downed doe I heard, trot trot trot, buwaa, trot trot trot, buwaa, trot trot trot, buwaa. That all this buck did the whole time he was in my view.
If you're prepared to hunt from the ground blow it while you're walking to your stand. But this can catch you with your pants down. They can come in pretty fast when you add crunching leaves to the call.

If they are ignoring you they may not be hearing it. I start soft and blow it louder until I get some response. They may look up and continue to walk off but I've never had one spook at a call.
When they are close and you're trying to get them in closer, bend the tube around to throw the voice behind you. When they are far aim it right at them.

Also use your hand on the end to give it a mouth, like with a duck/goose call. Slowly open and close so it sounds like it's coming from a mouth.

I also like voice calling but it's hard for me to get a grunt to come out loud enough.

Offline Myk

grunt tubes
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2003, 05:46:07 PM »
I just grabbed my grunt tube. I had the challenge wrong. It goes

Bwa bwa buwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
grunt tubes
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2003, 02:12:46 AM »
I know for a fact  that the deet that walked away heard the calls. unless they are deaf they all have been with in about 30 yards. When I grunt i want them to move out of the cover so I can get a shot
it must be my calling or that we have way to many does around amd they dont carre to fight over just one

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
grunt tubes
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2003, 06:14:42 PM »
The ONLY grunt tube I've ever been able to call a deer in with is my old wood barrel Primos. They still make one that looks just like it but it is now supposed to be adjustable for different vocalizations. Can't recall if mine was supposed to be or not. I own and have used other brands but never ever one single time have I had a deer  react positively to one of them.

I have also never had a deer come into to blind calling. Only if I saw or heard the deer first and determined I wasn't gonna get a shot and then used the grunt tube have I gotten the results I wanted or needed. But under those circumstances I usually do.

The sounds I make are a long drawn out bleat/grunt sound. I have no clue how to properly represent the sound with letters but let's say it is more or less like this: baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. I blow into the call rather softly for a gentle sound that I stretch out to perhaps 10-15 seconds. I make it 3-5 times with a few seconds of pause between. I'm not trying to sound aggressive but rather to sound like another deer that has seen or heard the deer and is saying to it "hey, I'm a deer too and I'm over here. Come on over and socialize." What the hey it works.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Myk

grunt tubes
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2003, 07:29:19 PM »
The one I like the best (but I haven't tried any new ones lately) is a H.S. Calls Super Slam Quad Grunter. I set it somewhere between young buck and the middle of mature buck depending on the time of the season and what I'm seeing and hearing.
The one with the push button tuners has me thinking about trying it.

I don't know if you'd call it blind calling but both bow deer this year came in when I was trying to call another deer into range. The deer I was after either left or bedded down, when I was trying to call them back or call them in another came up from the opposite way. When I was trying to call back a doe and shot a buck it was with a bleat call. When I was trying to call in a bedded buck and shot a doe it was with a grunt (acting like a mature doe, not a challenging buck).

Maybe it's just coincidence but I've had many deer chose the trails near me when blind calling. It could be that I'm in about a 200yd wide funnel so deer can be passing through at any time. Maybe my cold calling has a better chance of finding a deer passing through and steering them my direction. I don't blind call when hunting fields.

If they don't look up to the call I wouldn't be sure they heard it. My friend was positioned for an ambush rather close and he said he couldn't hear my grunt calling. Set a friend up to see how loud you are. I've had to get pretty loud to call bucks down into the ditch (about 125yds). Grunts don't seem to travel as far as bleat calls.
If they look up that's all you can do. Once they look up I shut up and hope they work around from a different direction.