Author Topic: Hammerless H&R 20 gauge  (Read 1091 times)

Offline larryd1945

• Trade Count: (0)
Hammerless H&R 20 gauge
« on: January 07, 2010, 11:40:47 AM »
Went into a small shop today and spotted this 20 gauge single shot right off the bat. We've got a lot of snow today so I thought I'd go rabbit hunting tomorrow.  This H&R kept calling to me eventho I certainly don't need another 20 gauge single shot.  Needless to say I walked out with it at a very good price.  I was hopeful that someone on this site might have some info on it such as how common and approx date they were made.

It is a 28 inch 20 gauge with nice grade of walnut, great case hardening on receiver, and is marked in very large letters on left side of the receiver "HAMMERLESS" and in smaller letters Harrington & Richardson Arms Co Worchester, Mass U.S. A. Made in U.S.A.  On top of the barrel it says Made in U.S.A. 20 ga. choke.  It has a opening lever up on tang, steel machined trigger guard and a safety on the tang that resets to safe when open the action.  On the bottom of the tang behind the trigger guard are the number CH13x.  The gun is in excellent condition, very tight, super clean bore with just a few wood nicks that look like came from moving around in a closet or some such.  The barrel is tapered from the breech to the end w/o the normal step you see in current H&R and NEF guns.

Would really be interested in any feedback anyone might have on this shotgun.  I'm sure its full choke so I'll load up some spreader loads tonight and we'll try it out on rabbits tomorrow.  This shotgun has a lot of drop, excellent condition and just calls to be out in the woods again.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: Hammerless H&R 20 gauge
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 11:47:39 AM »
I had one like that and it was made in 1940.  It had the prettiest case colors I ever saw.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline larryd1945

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 12:04:22 PM »
This one also has very nice case hardening on the receiver.  I notice a couple of small imperfections that are obviously from when the receiver was cast.  I'm sure these were very inexpensive guns when new but the workmanship on it is very good.  The stock was a little lose so I just took the butt plate off to tighten and the bolt is within about 1 inch of the butt plate.  I'm really looking forward to shooting it tomorrow.  Thanks so much for your input.

Offline c1skout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 12:24:26 PM »
got any pics?

Offline larryd1945

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 12:43:49 PM »
Sorry I don't know how to post pics to forum.   Be happy to send to your email if you like.

Offline c1skout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 12:53:36 PM »
at the bottom of the message box where it says "Additional Options". Click there and it will open a box for you to browse the pics on your computer.

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 01:47:08 PM »
  Interesting shotgun.  Like you had I the opportunity, I'd have been force to buy it too.  For some unknown reason, I have a fascination/affinity for single shot firearms of any type, shotguns being foremost.

Offline TxGun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
  • Retired
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 07:07:10 PM »
Dang...that sounds like a very nice find! Congrats!