Author Topic: Brass for 22 Hornet  (Read 1444 times)

Offline LarsG

• Trade Count: (0)
Brass for 22 Hornet
« on: December 22, 2009, 09:18:13 AM »
Wich brass for the 22 Hornet is best to buy, Remington or Winchester.
Maybe it dosnīt matter wich brass i buy, just wondering.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
Re: Brass for 22 Hornet
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 11:33:04 AM »
I prefer the Winchester brass for the 22 Hornet. I shoot Remington brass in my 22K Hornet, because I can keep the head stamps straight. I think the Winchester lasts a little longer and most of the load data is with Winchester brass for the 22 Hornet. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 11:36:00 AM »
I don't think any brand is superior to the rest. It's all super thin as that's the SAAMI spec for it. Ya best treat it gently.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 11:46:22 AM »
I have had good luck with both Winchester and Remington brass.  The brass is thin, but what a cartridge ;D  Those little 35 grain vmax bullets make it sing.  Almost shot 3 bullets into one hole today at 100 yards.  12 grains of H110 is the load that works for me!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Bulletstuffer

I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 12:48:59 PM »
Choose which ever one you can get. Like everyone said, the brass is fragile because of design inherent to the caliber.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Jay HHI6818

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 01:49:01 PM »
Buy Winchester. Several years ago when I started shooting silhouette, I bought a 22 Hornet for field pistol. Several shooters told me to buy Winchester because you will get head separations with Remington after 3-4 firings. I bought Winchester and I'm on the 6'th loading of the brass without any separations.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 02:33:21 PM »
  I have herd many people talk about this with Rem brass. Personally I find it to be softer than others and many of the case mouths will be dented. I size all my brass, both new and fired so the deformation is of little consequence to me. But saying it will inherently cause case head separations is flatly false. It will become "work hardened" with as little as the first firing.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline tc scout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 03:33:09 PM »
I have loaded Winchester, Remington, and Frontier(Hornady) cases many times without ever having a head seperation.
Have to agree with Graybeard, not much difference between them. Only problem I ever had was with Remington, bought 100, 4 were severly deformed. Company I ordered from sent me some extras.
Buy what you can get at the best price. MHO

The strongest reason for the
people to retain the right to keep and bear arms
is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline LarsG

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 09:55:17 PM »
Thank's for your answers, everone talk about how good V-max 35-40 gr are, anyone tested a fmj bullet 35-45 gr with almost the same accuracy like the V-max.
I don' want the explosive expansion like varmint bullets have.
Lars

Offline tc scout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 10:59:59 PM »
LaesG, Strange as it might seem, my most accurate bullet is probably the cheapest bullet you can buy. Although it is a HP and not full metal.
It is the Rem. 45 Gr. HP bulk bullet.  Went through a lot of different loads and powders with the 35 gr. V-Max before I just gave up on them.
I have not been loading the 22 Hornet for very long, but IMO it is a very temperamental caliber to find the best accuracy.
Bought a bag of the Rems at Cabelas because they were on sale, didn't expect much, but I figured what the heck, they were cheap practice bullets.
Probably will be my exclusive bullet now, although I might try some 50 gr. bullets.
Seems my barrel just doesn't like light bullets.
The strongest reason for the
people to retain the right to keep and bear arms
is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 01:17:14 AM »
ive used them all and prefer win and rem but one thing to keep in mind is in a small case like the hornet do not mix brass. I dont even like working up loads with brass from differnt lot numbers with the hornet. It may sound a little anal but the hornet has kind of a bad rep for accuracy and alot of it is due to the fact that loading that little case means you have to take more pains to make sure everything is consistant.
blue lives matter

Offline HL

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 02:15:28 AM »
I don't believe you will see the accuracy with 50gr bullets as you do with 45's or smaller. At least I have not.

But for the brass question, I have reloaded much of my hornet brass as much as 10 times with no separation or loose primer pockets. Of course, my loads are not pushing the envelope. If you keep velocities down, the brass will last longer.

I started reloading the hornet, trying to get the most out of the cartridge, as in velocity. Brass was only lasting for 4-5 firings before primer pockets became loose. Since, I have backed down a little, have better accuracy and brass is lasting twice as long.

The best thing is, the varmints don't know that I reduced my load.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 09:06:38 AM »
Let's see here. The case listed for the 22 Hornet in the following manuals...Lyman 48th edition - Winchester; Hodgdon's 2006 edition - Winchester; Nosler (newest) - Winchester; Hornady (newest) - Winchester; Sierra (newest) - Winchester; Speer (newest) - Winchester. I see a pattern. I am not saying that Remington is inferior, I am saying the load data for all these companies were developed using Winchester brass - so that is what I use when I can. As has been stated, the Hornet case is very thin no matter which brass you use, so high pressures will shorten case life considerably no matter which one you use.

As far as bullets, powder and primers are concerned - you will just have to see what works for your gun. Many have had good results with Lil'Gun, I have not. Some have had good luck with 35 and 40 grain v Max bullets, that has not been my experience. Many use small rifle primers, I prefer small pistol primers. If you try Lil 'gun, V Max bullets, small rifle primers and find it to shoot well - great, many have. If you find they do not do the trick for you, try 12.4 grains of H110, CCI 500 primer and a 34 grain Mid South bullet and Winchester brass, which is a starting load in the latest Speer manual using their 33 grain bullet. I have had good results using Hornady's 45 grain Hornet bullet also, but you will need to back off the H110 considerably. For me, the journey to load success is the fun part, it is so satisfying when I get it right.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.