Author Topic: Reloading hornady sst  (Read 3546 times)

Offline loggy_bayou

• Trade Count: (0)
Reloading hornady sst
« on: October 28, 2008, 06:41:45 AM »
Does anybody know what bullet and sabot to use when reloading the sst.Tried reloading some lightfield comanders but didnt get good groups.

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: Reloading hornady sst
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 03:53:52 PM »
I believe the bullet's are the hornaday 300 gr sst. I would love to hear the information myself....Drop

Offline loggy_bayou

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 02:10:01 AM »
I contacted hornady about it and they said the sabots were made in house and not offered and the bullet was close to the 500 s&w and also was not offered.That sucks.

Offline Muddyboots

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 05:54:06 AM »
Hornady SST may not be available but they just released .50 cal 300 gr. FTP bullet for the 500 S & W. I plan on using them in Ballistic Products sabot as test. One of the issues with the BP sabot is possibly the interior bullet cavity is too slick and doesn't transfer twist to bullet well. Had discussion with BP on this and may have answer that I am trying once weather breaks here in MI. Seems like every weekend is 20-30 mph wind and snow. Have bronchitis so not going outside anytime soon. I do think the BP sabot has promise just need to identify how to improve twist transfer. I tried the Hornady new .50 cal 350 gr. muzzleloading bullet in sabot but that didn't work all that well. Will post up once weather breaks down a bit. BTW - I will try in both  870 Hastings heavy barrel and Encore as well.
Muddyboots
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety." Ben Franklin

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 04:25:47 AM »
I knurl the bullets on a file and recovered sabots show the imprint and no slipage at all. I also use .511 dia. bullets . I have shot .45-300gr. SST's as a duplex load using a cut down Harvester .50 sabot inside a BLS-12 sabot. Caution don't put more than one pointy bullet in magazine.!
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline IOWA DON

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 05:29:06 AM »
I've got a 20-ga fully rifled barrel for a TCR-87 and was looking into loading some 300-grain .45-caliber SST's into custom turned brass cases. I bought some Ballistic Products sabots and found that I could not force the sabots with bullets into the cases. The neck areas of the cases would have to have the thickness reduced. I was planning on using 5744 and hoping I could get a velocity of about 2200 fps with OK pressure and good accuracy. There is a lot of room for powder in those cases. Also the barrels outside dimensions are the same as the 10-ga barrells for that gun so it would stand well over 10,000 psi. Would the H&R slug guns be similarly strong? If so, it may be possible to get slug loads good for 250-yards for a fairly low cost.

Offline Hntr2506

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 08:06:39 AM »
Does anybody know what bullet and sabot to use when reloading the sst.Tried reloading some lightfield comanders but didnt get good groups.

This is my first post here and I saw the topic and had to bring it back to the top.

For the last 5 weeks i was on a mission to handload the SST for my 20ga ultra slug.I looked everywhere for info on how to do it.I have reloaded slugs before but not sabot slugs.About 3 weeks ago I saw a post with the component list and build for a SST 20ga.I contacted the genleman and he gave me an Email address for where he was buying the sabot.i contacted Emmy Young in NJ. and the quest was over.

Long story but great results.Wednesday the 26th of Aug, me and my son with 25 handloaded SST lugs shot some of the best 100yd groups you could ever see.If anyone would like info just post or pm me.

Offline bakabob

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 04:34:49 PM »
I don't need any info on the sabots that Emma Young sells but I would like to add that I have been loading the sst slug with their sabots for the last couple of years and they are super accurate.  Also loading them is very easy and one can save a little money by loading your own too.  I am hunting with the 300 gain slug and they have downed 8 deer in the last two years for myself and a friend that I load for.  The last deer I shot was a quartering shot towrd me at about 60 yards.  The slug hit the right shoulder going through the shoulder blade and down on through the deer smashing the left ham bone.  That is the only slug I have recovered.

Offline Hntr2506

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 04:03:07 AM »
Thanks....quick question.What sabot do you use and where do you get it from.The sabot I have is costing my .70 each.If I can get one cheaper it will mean a whole lot more shooting from me.

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 05:22:37 AM »
I don't need any info on the sabots that Emma Young sells but I would like to add that I have been loading the sst slug with their sabots for the last couple of years and they are super accurate.  Also loading them is very easy and one can save a little money by loading your own too.  I am hunting with the 300 gain slug and they have downed 8 deer in the last two years for myself and a friend that I load for.  The last deer I shot was a quartering shot towrd me at about 60 yards.  The slug hit the right shoulder going through the shoulder blade and down on through the deer smashing the left ham bone.  That is the only slug I have recovered.

More info would be great!
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline bakabob

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 04:02:25 AM »
Be glad to help you out anyway I can.  The best thing that you can do is call Emma at 609-261-7373 after 5 pm on a week day and she will send you all the loading data required for their sabot and the price list also.  They are very friendly and helpful.  Once I started using their sabots I gave up on all the others.  If there is any specific question I can answer for you just ask and I will do my best to answer it.

Offline Hntr2506

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 07:17:20 PM »

This is my first post here and I saw the topic and had to bring it back to the top.

For the last 5 weeks i was on a mission to handload the SST for my 20ga ultra slug.I looked everywhere for info on how to do it.I have reloaded slugs before but not sabot slugs.About 3 weeks ago I saw a post with the component list and build for a SST 20ga.I contacted the genleman and he gave me an Email address for where he was buying the sabot.i contacted Emmy Young in NJ. and the quest was over.

Long story but great results.Wednesday the 26th of Aug, me and my son with 25 handloaded SST lugs shot some of the best 100yd groups you could ever see.If anyone would like info just post or pm me.
]

I got great results handloading the SST but you know had to try loading Barnes Expanders.Did some reading and found that Barnes expanders were re-labeled to sell as Knight muzzy bullets.These bullest are .451 diameter,SST are .452.I bought 36 from Knight for $24 and just handloaded 10 for the range tomorrow.I'm real interested in what kind of accurracy I get from this set-up.I will post results tomorrow.

Offline mospurs

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 07:59:07 AM »
I've got a 20-ga fully rifled barrel for a TCR-87 and was looking into loading some 300-grain .45-caliber SST's into custom turned brass cases. I bought some Ballistic Products sabots and found that I could not force the sabots with bullets into the cases. The neck areas of the cases would have to have the thickness reduced. I was planning on using 5744 and hoping I could get a velocity of about 2200 fps with OK pressure and good accuracy. There is a lot of room for powder in those cases. Also the barrels outside dimensions are the same as the 10-ga barrells for that gun so it would stand well over 10,000 psi. Would the H&R slug guns be similarly strong? If so, it may be possible to get slug loads good for 250-yards for a fairly low cost.

WARNING***
NEF 20 GA SLUG GUNS USE THE SHOTGUN ACTION (SB1)
NOT HEAT TREATED LIKE SB2
QUESTIONABLE STRENGTH VERSUS TCR-87

Offline Hntr2506

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 08:13:30 AM »
                                    GUN SERVICING, LLC

101 GILBERT ROAD

BORDENTOWN, NJ 08505

609-261-7373   

They can supply you with sabots and loading data

Offline ptpalpha

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 01:11:54 PM »
Great info.  Question:  how much is it ending up costing per round? 

Offline Hntr2506

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 11:43:15 AM »
$1.49 but half is the sabot.70 a piece.Wish i could find them cheaper but this is the only place I have found that sells them.I'm sure you can lower the price just by using different bullets than me.I used the hornady FXT 250gr.

Offline Bucker

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 08:03:07 AM »
where did you find the sst slug?  We are thinking of starting to load for our 12 gauges.  Is this as easy and reliable as it looks?
Please be sure to check your gun at the door.  WHAT!

Offline Hntr2506

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 01:13:06 PM »
I bought 5 boxes off of gunbroker 250 FTX 250gr bullets for $140,Just doing a quick search on gunbroker and found bullets that would be perfect for 12ga  

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=157452949

And it is really simple to handload these.My 14yo  son does most of these handloads with little supervision