Author Topic: Do you use a charcutrie board?  (Read 1451 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Do you use a charcutrie board?
« on: December 26, 2023, 02:59:36 AM »
    When my grandson explained them to me, it was a totally new field...myself not being a  full blown sophisticate.  For those who may be as
      unfamiliar with a charcutrie board as I was...a charcutrie board is basically what most of us would consider a serving dish.

A charcutrie board is for serving cheese & sausage nips etc...where even the board is meant to impress.  Below is a photo of a walnut board I
   picked off the net.

Below that is a sample photo of the boards my grandson makes..combining several artistic endeavors.  He used select burl wood, acrylics and
  ammo (deactivated)...adding a hand forged handle..each handle a different design, depending upon where his fancy takes him as he forges..

He does get a premium price for his boards, and many items other than ammo can be included.. depending upon the customer.  He can include
    small gears, watch parts, electronics, gun parts, coins, jewelry...or what have you.

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
Re: Do you use a charcutrie board?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2023, 05:51:30 AM »
    I am surprised that there seems to be no interest shown in this item, since so many here are involved in hunting, shooting ...and eating !  ;)  :D  ;D

There must be some who are interested in the arts or handicrafts, whatever the medium.  I have tried to get the guys to display their talents and
     artistry....

Come on guys... surely this is not a 'designer desert' !
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Bob Riebe

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2023, 07:07:50 AM »
Technically the CB refers to the edible items served; it was originally for cured meats but now usually has cheeses, crackers, nuts , etc.

The other half prepares one often on plates designed for said same, but her niece actually has several true wooden  boards on which she serves hers.

The least expensive wooden ones are 30 dollars, with fancy wooden ones going for  over 100 dollars.

What does charcuterie mean literally?

The term charcuterie comes from two French words: “chair” which means “flesh,” and “cuit” which means “cooked.” While you may travel around Europe and find charcuterie-type shops serving cured meats and accompaniments, the trend and appreciation hadn't really taken off in the United States until more recently.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2023, 07:56:56 AM »
Technically the CB refers to the edible items served; it was originally for cured meats but now usually has cheeses, crackers, nuts , etc.

The other half prepares one often on plates designed for said same, but her niece actually has several true wooden  boards on which she serves hers.

The least expensive wooden ones are 30 dollars, with fancy wooden ones going for  over 100 dollars.

What does charcuterie mean literally?

The term charcuterie comes from two French words: “chair” which means “flesh,” and “cuit” which means “cooked.” While you may travel around Europe and find charcuterie-type shops serving cured meats and accompaniments, the trend and appreciation hadn't really taken off in the United States until more recently.

Thanks for your enlightenment Bob, so far as the term charcutrie is concerned...I was wandering around in a vernacular jungle... ;) ;D

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2023, 12:14:14 PM »
It's become kind of a fad in this
region, but it's really not much
different than what my folks
did for years on holidays,
without the nod to europeans.

My folks have always made up
a plate ( usually) with assorted
things like are used on the new
to many wood trays.
It's always been referred to as
the pickle tray or relish tray.
The folks ( fairly) recently started
using a dedicated decorative
large platter or plate or tray
since just before my generation.
When my folks were young, they
didn't have the spare cash for
any specialized tableware.

Much of the same foods featured
though- different pickled vegetables,
slices of different cheeses, sausages,
etc. etc.

Some years back ( around the 70's)
my granny had come up with an
elaborately decorated platter with
painted grapes and grapevines and
olives and ears of corn etc. and the
relish tray was served on that.
A relative that stayed mostly impaired
thought the painted olives were
real, and repeatedly tried to stab a
couple with a fork until everybody
was silent and staring at the spectacle
of him jabbing at the plate at nothing
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .
Funny Funny x 1 View List

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2023, 01:04:41 PM »
It's become kind of a fad in this
region, but it's really not much
different than what my folks
did for years on holidays,
without the nod to europeans.

My folks have always made up
a plate ( usually) with assorted
things like are used on the new
to many wood trays.
It's always been referred to as
the pickle tray or relish tray.
The folks ( fairly) recently started
using a dedicated decorative
large platter or plate or tray
since just before my generation.
When my folks were young, they
didn't have the spare cash for
any specialized tableware.

Much of the same foods featured
though- different pickled vegetables,
slices of different cheeses, sausages,
etc. etc.

Some years back ( around the 70's)
my granny had come up with an
elaborately decorated platter with
painted grapes and grapevines and
olives and ears of corn etc. and the
relish tray was served on that.
A relative that stayed mostly impaired
thought the painted olives were
real, and repeatedly tried to stab a
couple with a fork until everybody
was silent and staring at the spectacle
of him jabbing at the plate at nothing

Interesting to hear your comments, Ranger... I bet there were some red faces, as folks watched somebody poke at the painted olives..

As I mentioned earlier..the boards my grandson produces, do command a high price..but there are some folks who want things that are very
    interesting and one-of-a-kind, and reflects their own interests..

THe original mold he uses has a handle form as part of trhe original...but he had one where the handle broke off.... and you can see that with the
   acrylics, the costly burl wood and the inbedded material, there was already much invested..   So what to do?

That is when he decided to Forge a custom handle, such as he made for cutting boards, when he was working in my smithy, before I turned the smithy over to him.

Now, with a hand forged handle...all the more assurance it will be one-of-a-kind..