Author Topic: Messed up new from factory Tracker II 20 gauge  (Read 710 times)

Offline ShotgunTony

• Trade Count: (0)
Messed up new from factory Tracker II 20 gauge
« on: December 28, 2009, 11:11:30 AM »
Sorry for the second post last looks messy.  Has anyone here bought a tracker II that was junk out of the box. I was excited to get it two weeks ago took it out to shoot with Hornady SST's and Winchester Supremes.  The gun shot incredibly low, in the dirt low. I was shooting at a target from seventy yards pointing 3 to 4 foot of the ground with slugs that are supposed to be +8 inches at 100 yards and the slugs were hitting the dirt.  Do the math, that is screwed up.  I am supposed to get a box from H&R in a couple weeks to mail it back to them. They say that then it will take 3 days to process the gun when they get it and after that at least 6 to 8 weeks to fix it or replace it.  This was a huge dissapointment since I planned on hunting with it this weekend.  I have a 30 30 with a scope but I live in illinois so that's a no go.  If anyone has had any really crumby problems with these guns let me know.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: Tracker II H&R ?'s and Problems Scope & Accuracy Poor from factory
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 11:13:09 AM »
It's a simple drill and tap for the 20ga. as far as mounting optics. Any gunsmith should be able to do it for you.

Spanky

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: Messed up new from factory Tracker II 20 gauge
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 11:19:44 AM »
What do you mean that the slugs are supposed to be +8 inches at 100 yds?

Try starting out at 25 yds. and see if you can hit the target. You should be able to hit it without any sights at all from 25 yds. If you're still missing... it's you.

Tracker II's are generally noted as being good shooters.

Alot of what you're saying just doesn't make sense.

Spanky

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 11:24:12 AM »
I'm assuming this was with open sites.  The regulation is incorrect or somehow the worng sites where installed.

Why not just scope it? Then return it after the season...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline ShotgunTony

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 11:32:18 AM »
Hey thanks for the suggestion.  I don't have time to scope it before the next season.  Yeah it is with open sights.  This isn't an issue of my shooting I may not be olympic quality but I'm not 4 foot of target quality shooting from any position. The gun is defective. The barrel when looking at the muzzle doesn't look like its uniform the thickness of the barrel varies.  The forend is also not centered on the barrel, touching on the left side and a gap on the right. Maybe the wrong sights were put on, but it doesn't look like it.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 11:51:40 AM »
Take the barrel off the frame and look down it to see if it's straight. It wouldn't be the first time a shotgun barrel was crooked.

Spanky

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 01:02:54 PM »
Did you shoot the gun at 25 yds? Did you attempt to adjust the sights? I don't undestand the part about +8 inches at 100 yds. I suppose the gun could be defective and it wouldn't be the first time.

Offline ShotgunTony

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 12:26:27 PM »
I adjusted the sights. The gun is so far off in the multiple feet low range that there's no way there's enough adjustment. By 8" +,  I mean that the chart for the ammo I am using shows the trajectory or arc off the slugs path being 8 inches above the straight path at 100 yards and flat at 150 yards or in other words exactly where your aiming. So if you were sighted in for say 150 yards and took a shot at 70 yards you should more than 8" high more or less. According to the ballistic chart on the side of the box.

Offline ShotgunTony

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 12:29:04 PM »
None of this matters though cause this ain't my first gun, or my first time shooting. The gun is just plain messed up. I guess I'll be hunting with a smooth bore tommorrow.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 04:31:17 PM »
I just can't see how the gun could be shooting several feet low. ::)  It doesn't make a bit of sense.

Spanky

Offline mike@nds

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
    • NoDak Spud, LLC
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 01:27:51 AM »
If they put the wrong front blade on it (too tall) the gun will shoot low.

I'd just bring a file with me to the range and trim the front blade down until I get the proper zero.

If the barrel is bent I would send it back.

Good luck.
NoDak Spud, LLC
www.nodakspud.com

Offline a4beltfed2000

• Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 02:50:33 AM »
I would check the barrel with a strait edge to make sure that it isnt bent. I too would start by sighting the gun in at 25 yards. I just can't fathom it shooting several feet low. I have a .22 rifle that was hillybillized by the last owner, and they got crazy with a file. now that rifle shoots  2 ft high at 50 yards.

I would make sure that the sights are adjusted as low as they will go. I would also mount my target on a 4x8 piece of plywood and fire from rest or bench. there has to be a reason for it.....
H&R/NEF 10, 12,16 20 28 ,410 .243 45 357 45lc. 1919a4, uzi, sten mK 2,3,5 M2HB, 1917a1, ak74(2) amd 65, RPK (2) 11 aks and 50 other guns....