Author Topic: Powder for .30-30 and .30-06?  (Read 1337 times)

Offline MZ5

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Contributor
Re: Powder for .30-30 and .30-06?
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2009, 02:48:55 PM »
748, definitely.  Ease and consistency of metering the powder charges is important to me (in addition to accuracy & performance), and that puts 748 light years ahead of any of the stick powders.  Ramshot's Big Game may work nearly as well, though I don't have any Big Game data in front of me and haven't tried it in the 30-30 before.

Offline jlchucker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2009, 01:54:50 AM »
Not to track off of your question too far, but since you're just starting, I recommend getting at least two manuals (not just the loading data you can print off the internet).  Lyman, Speer, and Hornady are the 3 I use most.  Plenty of info in them about processes in addition to loading data.

Second, be careful with that collet crimper in your hand press.  I've got one for my 8mm Mauser dies, and after following the directions for it exactly, have succeeded only in crushing shoulders with my Lee hand press.

Third, that hand press will give you more than a forearm workout when doing bottlenecked rifle cases.  Forearms, biceps, shoulders, pecks and back, maybe a little ab workout, too.

As for powders for both, I could consult a manual and tell you powders that are listed for both, but since I don't load .30-30 or .30-06, I can't help you with actual experience.  Sounds like the guys here have given you good advice, though.

Good Morning Securitysix,

I agree with your comment about loading manuals. A loader on a budget can also get pretty good info for free when going to a gun shop by picking up catalogs published by powder and componenet manufacturers.  These often contain loading data for their products, applicable to most common calibers.

As for the Lee collet crimper, I use it on every caliber I load for--including the bolt action ones, only I do most of my loading in a bench-mounted press.  The Lee hand press, IMO belongs on every loading bench--you may not use it all the time but it can come in handy. I've had one for years--bought it when I had to live temporarily in an apartment.  I used it to load pretty much everything, and you can full-length size with it if you have to.  As you pointed out, as a side benefit it will help keep you in shape.

Have a Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year.

Offline KeepTryin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2009, 07:53:24 AM »
Well, Priority mail beat it's own delivery estimate by 4 days (boggle!) and my dies just showed up. I'm going to enjoy being shut in here in NW Wisconsin due to weather and try to figure out what is what with these. Off on another learning curve...

I'll be posting as soon as I get a stuck case, right?  ;D

I got the Lee progressive sets for both.

Merry Christmas to All! And It sure looks like it out there, lemmetellya!

Offline kyhareraiser

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2009, 04:12:52 PM »
VARGET !!!!!!!!i've loaded from 223 to 30-06 with it :)
i wish i was just half the man,that my dog thinks i am