Author Topic: when is it time to move your stand?  (Read 1185 times)

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
when is it time to move your stand?
« on: December 01, 2003, 04:08:44 PM »
I have hunted this same spot for about 4 weeks and have seen deer most days tho I could not get a bow shot. I would just let them go by with out them ever knowing i was there. I have been seeing fewer and fewer deer every dayand  the last time I saw a deer was opening morning of gun season it was about 9 am then nothing for the past 3 days.

I am hunting in very thick cover on the center of a hill with a small stream behind me and a bunch of draws on the other side of the stream. on top of the hill is about 100 yard wide field of grasses and then a well gone over cut corn Fields. on the bottom of the hill is a nother 100 yard grass field then a stand of thick woods and a nice duck pond.

Just before gun season I noticed a lot of new scrapes and rubs around my stand 1 rub was just beside my stand. but now they are not being used at all.

I am still seeing deer in the corn field at dark when I am coming out of the woods.

I am thinking about moving my stand to about 1-200 yards off the corn field  (on this side of the field is a very large wooded lot)tomorrow afternoon.

what i am thinking is, the deer are starting to catch on and not using the trail by my stand any more and are just coming out a few hundred yards down from me in the very thick stuff.

any input??

Offline Daveinthebush

• Trade Count: (0)
My theory
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2003, 06:19:48 PM »
My theory is that once gun season opens all bets are off, almost.

Deer think of four things: Food, sex, security and escape.
(Not in that order like men do :)

So once gun season opens I use 3 plans:

1. Funnels - where the deer are forced into a restricted path such as a ravine crossing, river crossing, narrow strip between two sections of woods or such.

2. Escape - Finding where the escape trails are and setting up on them is usually productive.  I like to get there early and let the other hunters push the deer to me.  I used my son for years to do this before he caught on. :roll:

3. Security - I find the most God awfull mess to hunt in.  I go into it wearing orange and camo.  Usually restricted to handgun shots and set up against a tree with a makeshift blind. I then remove the orange and hang it on the tree above me. You gotta go very slow, almost crawling to get in. If you don't, who ever read number 2 has the deer.
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2003, 04:21:22 AM »
:D  Gun season does change things. I would move my stand. Sometimes when I'm standing I see deer using an area away from where I'm standing. I move my stand to take advantage of their route. I've had very good success doing this, gun season or bow. Food changes, cover changes, deer change. Change with them.

Offline Tony D

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2003, 09:49:44 AM »
Another possibility is the deer are seeing you move in the stand.  If they know you're there, they'll avoid that area.  If you move your stand, do it with as little disturbance to the area as possible (ie, scent and noise) Try moving it during mid-afternoon if not close to a bedding area and hunt it that day.
Tony D ><>

Offline Dutch/AL

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2003, 10:53:12 AM »
Deer are really good at not only detecting where you are, but also where you have been. A deer can come into an area in the middle of the night and detect human scent long after a hunter is gone.

I know a fellow who has killed several hundred deer with a bow, and he rarely hunts the same tree twice. He NEVER hangs stands and leaves them to hunt a spot repeatedly. He does do a LOT of scouting looking for fresh sign and hot food sources though. He says to be very careful and try not to touch anything.

Some spots you can hunt over and over and nearly always see deer, but some areas have deer that are so educated after having been heavily pressured, it's hard to get away with much.

Wearing clean rubber boots and clean cotton gloves entering and leaving a stand can cut down greatly the amount of scent you leave and not educate the deer as quickly. Don't wear your rubber boots in the gas station parkinglot unless you are hunting near a gas station. :idea:

If I were going to hunt a stand repeatedly, I believe I would give it 3 to 5 days in between hunts minimum. Even then, it might take the deer longer to figure you out, but they will eventually anyhow.

If you're still seeing deer at dark in the cornfield, they have simply changed bedding and staging areas, but they are still in the area. I would follow the trails off that cornfield a couple hundred yards and see if I could guess where they are bedding. Usually either a super thick area, or an elevated area where they can see better. Try not to spend too much time close to, or in what you think is the bedding area.

Once you figure that out, hang a stand off the edge of the cornfield far enough back to see deer before dark. Once you see deer or kill deer from this spot, look for the deer to relocate. The more pressured the deer are the quicker they will react to your presence. If they are unpressured, you might get away with a lot more. Some unpressured deer act almost like cattle, and pressured deer can easily go nocturnal. They are really nervous high strung animals. The ones that we don't kill prolly die of heart attacks. Good luck.
Sportsman 700 Twin

The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on. He took a face from the ancient gallery and he walked on down the hall.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2003, 11:29:17 AM »
I don't like to hunt the same stand more than a couple days in a row. Then I'll move to another. Don't always have to move a long way but move.

For instance since '88 I've been hunting on a 40 acre tract of private land which is surrounded by several hundred acres of wooded land and butts up against several thousand acres that used to be Ft. McCllelan before it closed. The old fort land is about a mile away from the 40, maybe a bit less.

I have several permanent stands set up on this place. Between any one and the next closest one is hardly ever more than 100-150 yards. Some are in sight of the others. I've killed a lot of deer from these stands over those years and still do. Took two from the oldest one I call "the original stand" and also "Faye's stand" as it is the one she usually hunts from on opening day this season.

If I were the only one hunting from them my kills would be higher I'm sure but while I'm trying to give the stands and area a rest someone else is in my stands using them. Just the other day I added new camo burlap around one and fixed a hook and eye system to hold the entry gate in place to completely surround you in the stand. Today when I went back to it some #@$&$^%^)) had busted the hooks completely off and the gate was just hanging. I guess they went into it in the dark and wasn't able to figure it out and just broke it to get in.

So my advice is to never hunt the same location more than two days in a row and then give it some rest. At least move 100 yards or more away to another location nearby as a mimimum. Even doing that I personally don't like to hunt on the small 40 acres I have access to more than 2-3 days a  week max.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rickyp

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2003, 02:04:49 PM »
Today at about 1030 I moved the stand on the other side of the corn field just off a nice trail.  When I started to walk in the fiels a doe came out of the trail and stopped and looked at me. we both where like where did he come from? I took a shot but missed. This evening just after I lowered my shotgun (it wanted to "go for a walk" today) I heard some rustling and looked it was a small doe watching me pack up. she trotted only about 30 yards stopped and looked at me then walked off. she was not scared of me at all. I think i am gona hunt this spot for another 2-3 days then move down the line a little bit and just keep working my around this field.

I am not too worried about my scent. this is a small farm with about 6 housed on it. the deer are use to the smell of peopleI have actually watched a buck stand beside the farm road and watch a 4 wheeler drive by with out even moving a step and when it was gone go right back to eatting.

Offline rickyp

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2003, 02:07:42 PM »
one other thing i noticed today was, about the same time as gun season started a rather large hawk moved in the area and is hanging around it is so bold that i pearched in a tree not more them 20 feet from me. I was wondering if this could be a reason as well

Offline freddogs

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2003, 03:43:05 AM »
:D I don't think a hawk will bother deer much but you have the right idea. Keep moving. If I'm on private land where I can leave a stand I usually have several out and a couple of ground spots too. :lol:

Offline rickyp

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2003, 06:50:06 AM »
well as you all know I did move my stand and hunted this place for 2 days and this morning this walked by

he was with 3 other bucks 1 was a small 6 pt this one and a small spike. I was about to shoot the 6 pt then thisdeer steps out in the open and I saw the rack and my scope quickly found his chest and bang. I wish I could say it was with a handgun but i was using my 835

Offline grouper sandwich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://members.fishingworks.com/groupersandwich/
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2003, 06:54:54 AM »
Excellent!

Those antlers have some seriouls height.  Way to go!

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2003, 08:48:34 AM »
Nice. Apparently he wasn't walking fast enough for his own good.  :eek:  Why didn't ya use a handgun?

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dutch/AL

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2003, 09:57:34 AM »
WOW Ricky that is some serious height on that rack! Congrats on a great deer! 8)
Sportsman 700 Twin

The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on. He took a face from the ancient gallery and he walked on down the hall.

Offline rickyp

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2003, 12:58:18 PM »
The reason I didn't use my handgun is; In the part of Maryland I live and hunt we  can not use a handgun for deer hunting unless it is a blackpwder.
That is why I had to buy my bullberry 209x50 contender.
   anyway I have been seeing 3 and 4 does together in the fields early in the morning and late in the evening. so i decided to go after the meat and be greedy and shoot as many does as i could. (we are able to shoot up to 4 deer, all 4 at the same time if we can) and if i was using the 209x50 i wouldn't be able to get off a second shot  fast enough.
Now that i got some meat rest assured I will be taking the 209x50 back out.

Thanks for the kinds words about my deer, Now i have to decide to have it mounted or just mount the rack. what should I do?

Offline grouper sandwich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://members.fishingworks.com/groupersandwich/
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2003, 02:56:40 PM »
If you can afford it, get the full mount done.  That's way too sweet of a deer to just mount the antlers.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2003, 06:30:25 AM »
Unless you have several bigger nicer heads on the wall now I'd vote to mount it full shoulder. It's a nice buck. If you already have a wall full of bigger ones then go for the rack mount.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline rickyp

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2003, 10:53:10 AM »
this isonly the 2 nd buck that i have shot that had a any kinf of rack. I only have 1 private farm that i can hunt on as a guest and the reast of the hunting is public land. the farm is not known for nice deer most of tehm are spiles of small 4-6 pointers and is loaded down with does.  so for me this might be the buck of a life time  :?

I just got of fthe phone with a taxadermist it will run $375 and a year to get done

Offline GBO MGMT

• Administrator
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2003, 12:05:46 PM »
That is more expensive and much longer than around here but if it is your first nice buck have it done. If you don't you'll always regret that you didn't.

GB

Offline rickyp

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2003, 12:19:07 PM »
how much does a shoulder mount and oak wall plate go for ?  I have called around to the few that are close to my home. and this one was the cheapest by at least $25 he is slower then othersbut he does good work.

Offline freddogs

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2003, 05:05:16 AM »
:D Congradulations. Boy am I glad you moved. If you get this one mounted i raises the standards pretty high to get a better one mounted. This is a real nice buck anywhere in the country. I would mount it. :-D

Offline Drew25

Or, do a skull (english) mount
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2003, 05:26:32 PM »
it's pretty easy, and in my opinion, makes for a pretty classy trophy.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2003, 05:41:42 PM »
I think prices run from around $200-250 around here. Might be up a little as I've not had one done real recently. Delay usually runs from a couple months to at most 3-4 months. Never seen it take over 6 months on anything.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline HoCoMDHunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2003, 05:04:22 PM »
A friend of mine found an old taxidermist in downtown Baltimore (!) that only wantes $75 to mount a grouse.  That's less than half the expected price.  The finished product has not been produced yet, but this guy has been doing this for a long time.  If you are interested in making the trip, I'll find out more info on the guy.  Congratulations on a great looking buck!
Doin' my best to keep up with Maryland's one handgun a month law.

Offline rickyp

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2003, 02:18:11 AM »
downtown baltomore is about an hour drive from me on in traffic about 2 hours. you can give me his number. I did find one that is just down the street from me I have to call him to see    how he is/