Author Topic: Survivor .308 - thought was a lemon, now have lemonade =)  (Read 640 times)

Offline karlel

• Trade Count: (0)
Survivor .308 - thought was a lemon, now have lemonade =)
« on: January 12, 2010, 05:13:08 PM »
Long time reader, first time poster here...

Wanted to say first off how informative this forum was and to thank all the posters I've learned so much from.

Bought a Survivor .308 about a year ago.  Been to the shooting range off and on, total rounds through it were probably 400 to 450 rounds, stopped counting.  I've always been fascinated with the science/art of reloading and gotten the dies for the 308. I'm running 168 grain Speer HPBT, IMR3031 powder, whatever large rifle primer I happen to find, and whatever brass I have (mix of all kinds).

First time I got the rifle and went to the shooting range had premium Federal rounds (hadn't got the dies yet).  Didn't expect much from the rilfe since it wasn't one of those "nice" bolt guns, shot and after some few rounds for break in and scope sighting, had a 1.5 to 2" group at 100 yards.  Figured reloading would get me better results.

Reload some rounds (200) and went again to shoot.  I was running 41 grains of the IMR 3031 which is the middle of the pack, figured this was the best results for the charge.  I was getting 3" groups!!! and sometimes even more!!  I thought with premium manufactured loads, the best this gun would get me was 1.5" groups.  NOT BAD really, figured I could probably have it as a "fun gun". 

Didn't shoot this one for a while and whenever I did shoot only a few rounds through it as even though 1.5" isn't bad, was a bit disappointing to me.

One day I decided to reorganize my reloading bench and found out that my scale was incorrect, I wasn't putting 41 grains of IMR3031, I was putting more like 42 grains which is max for this bullet and powder.  I said Waoh!! got myself a digital scale and reloaded some rounds at 39 grains (lowest load for this bullet). 

Decided to go shoot again. At 100 yards, I was getting 1/2" groups and on the money (dead center).  I was so happy, I could have jumped but stopped as I might have looked like a crazy person and the range master might have thrown me out.  I just wanted to share my experiences with this little tack driver of a rifle.  I love this rifle!!

Have fun!! Be safe!!

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Re: Survivor .308 - thought was a lemon, now have lemonade =)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 06:26:38 PM »
Thanks for joining and sharing, looking forward to some more! :) :)
found elsewhere

Offline dangerranger

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 10:02:11 PM »
glad to hear it worked out for you! I have a Win 94 in 30 30 that when I first got it came with like 400 rounds of 150gr Corlokt remington . its scoped and with the rem would shoot into 1.5" at 100yds. I was pretty happy with that but had always heard that with careful reloads I could tailor a load that will tighten that up some. well after alot of differant bullits,powder,and combos of both I have never bested the factory Rem loads. other guns its worked but that one I just keep it fed with the Corlokt 150s. not that Im unhappy but I could have saved a bunch by sticking with what worked first. you never know tho. DR

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 11:26:15 PM »
WELCOME!!!

Glad you figured this out scale before it bacame a problem!!! The 308 Survivors are generally good shooters. That shorter stiff barrel certainly helps!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 06:56:30 AM »
glad to hear it worked out for you! I have a Win 94 in 30 30 that when I first got it came with like 400 rounds of 150gr Corlokt remington . its scoped and with the rem would shoot into 1.5" at 100yds. I was pretty happy with that but had always heard that with careful reloads I could tailor a load that will tighten that up some. well after alot of differant bullits,powder,and combos of both I have never bested the factory Rem loads. other guns its worked but that one I just keep it fed with the Corlokt 150s. not that Im unhappy but I could have saved a bunch by sticking with what worked first. you never know tho. DR

I have to agree!   With an inexpensive rifle and for your purpose sometimes it's just not practical to try to raise the bar too high for the Handi, but it's like anything, where you work hard enough, you can usually get more out of it than what it's meant to be.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.