Author Topic: Yet another quetion on the 45-70  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
Yet another quetion on the 45-70
« on: January 06, 2010, 03:10:41 AM »
I was informed by my wife that I had a 30-06 there was nothing in America that warranted buyin a 45-70! I would really like one in the Ultra Hunter SS or a Marlin Guide Gun. Is there any true reason I can give her other than "I want one!" as to why I want a 45-70. I hunt deer, hog, and coyote. Hope to go to Yukon on a bear hunt in 2 years.

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
Re: Yet another quetion on the 45-70
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 03:37:08 AM »

uSE THE Yukon hunt as a Need it to get her bear skin rug, take 2 yrs. to get loads work up
 and sight in so you want dinner for the bear. Datil

Offline pvtschultz

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 03:38:46 AM »
It's a lot of fun to shoot  ???

It really is a hoot to shoot and you can load it from mild to wild.  It bigger is better, right?  I use my Handi for hunting out of trees and my sporterized Mauser (it happens to weigh ~13 lbs) for ground level hunting off of the bipods.  

So there, it is much safer to hunt out of a tree with a short, 7 pound rifle than it is a long (maybe heavier) rifle.  That's my excuse anyways...

Offline Daman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 04:10:55 AM »
Datil

We are in the order or planning or new house now, so the bear skin rug idea my work! Thanks man!!!!!!!!!!!

pvtshultz

I know right! That was the excuse for my .7mm-08 Handi for deer!

And for the others

Any opinion is welcome!

Thanks
Daman

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 04:28:00 AM »
If your wife knows the difference between a 30-06 and  45-70,  I am impressed. 45-70 is the caliber of Marlin Guide Guns. 45-70 is more of a fun plinker than a 30-06. Cast bullets are cheap to mold. On the flip side, do you really want a single shot for a Yukon bear hunt? I'd start working up 220 grain loads for the 30-06.

Offline Stuart C.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 04:30:19 AM »
You're in a tough spot.  
And she obviously knows her calibers, so that's another strike against you.
The safety angle is good, but it doesn't work with my wife; quite the opposite.
I always like to tie in economy, ex. cheaper to shoot more.
Usually works for me.

Offline rockrat

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 05:04:56 AM »
So I assume you have a house now?  Then by her logic, why a new house, doesn't that one keep her warm and fed, she doesn't NEED a new house.  The one you have will do everything the new one will.

After you use this logic, I guess we can visit you in the hospital ;D
Its not that Life is too short, its that Death is too long!!

Offline dmitch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 05:07:01 AM »
Daman,

I have a friend that, many years ago, used his 25-06 for 30-40 woodchucks in the summer......not a lot of usage.  He told her that since he wanted to use that rifle for pronghorn someday (never happened) that he needed to buy another chuck rifle SO HE WOULDN'T WEAR OUT THE BARREL ON THE 25-06! 
At your ripe old age of 21, you need to be totally honest with your wife and totally realistic about your finances.....a new house, family and hobbies are all fine if you work as a team........does your wife get to spend $300 on her hobby, house or massages when you purchase the 45-70?  Will it be her rifle to use or the '06? Or neither?
Yes, rifles, shotguns, reloading equipment and the shooting sports are wonderful and truly additive, but building a collection the wrong way will only have you admiring it as you write your monthly alimony/support check.
Not trying to be negative, just passing along what has worked for me and my wife of 40 yrs and my acquaintences who haven't been so lucky.  Note:  My wife was actually a big encourager when I hunted Africa a couple years ago.......but we are still discussing whether a second trip is in the future, if you know what I mean!

dmitch

NRA Life Member, New York State Rifle & Pistol Assoc.

Offline Daman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 05:53:59 AM »
dmitch

Thanks for the honest opinion and advice! I know what you mean. I would never let my hobbies come before my family! She is very supportive of my hunting and shooting and actually has a larger gun collection than I do! (Her father thought guns were the perfect gift for everything!) We will definitely talk it over well before an investment. Again I appreciate the advice.

I know the 30-06 will suffice for bear, but the historic 45-70 seems to draw my attention when we talk about that trip!

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 06:09:29 AM »
MAN UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
walk in right now and tell her that you are infact buying the 45/70 of you choice.
You need to get her squared away. :o ::)
That is what some guys will say they do, in between hospital stays. :'(
if she has more gins than you, talk it over maybe she will come around.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 06:32:20 AM »
Rex6666 and I swapped .45-70 barrels some time ago.  His extractor for my ejector.  I believe we're both happy with the trade.  It really is a "Gotta Have".  Good luck,

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline BrianB

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 07:00:05 AM »
I have read too many articles about hunters being killed by bear and hogs while using a 30-06.  I personally lost four childhood friends doing that same thing...three to hogs, one to a bear.  It is just not enough gun! A 45-70 on the other hand, well, I've never lost a friend to a wild animal who was carrying a 45-70.

Now, if you can keep a straight face, that line of BS might work.

Offline Daman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 07:47:20 AM »
Brian

You are a braver man than me! My wife would laugh in my face if I gave her a line like that! She grew up with me from the time we were in middle school. She knows when I am BS'ing her.

Daman

Offline shvlhead.45

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 07:49:39 AM »
That Handi in .45-70 is half the price of the Marlin Guide Gun, it will do for now to do load development, get use to shooting the .45-70....yata yata yata.  Cause you know, you have to have a guide gun for when you go to the Yukon.  

I have both now.

SH.45

Offline BrianB

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 08:17:57 AM »
Brian

You are a braver man than me! My wife would laugh in my face if I gave her a line like that! She grew up with me from the time we were in middle school. She knows when I am BS'ing her.

Daman

OOhhh! You failed to mention that important piece of information. In that case, disregard my advice...it could result in a trip to the emergency room much like the "MAN UP!!!!" approach. ;)

Offline Daman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 10:47:52 AM »
Yeah there is a no BS rule at my house. When you grow up with your spouse they can see right through you anyway!!!!

I should be able to talk her into one before the Yukon trip. Besides my hunt will be the side show on the way back from her Prince Edward island vacation! (Now fella's that is how you get your wife to let you go bear hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 10:48:57 AM »
Buy a barrel. Then buy a stock. A year later, buy a receiver. Maybe all from the same guy. Handis are easy to get into the house. Unlike fishing rods or motorcycles. Unfortunately if she knows guns, then she knows the price of 45-70 ammo. Ie shoot 3 boxes in an afternoon, that was $120.

Offline Daman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 10:53:22 AM »
We reload together with her her dad. So we have two presses and all the molds......

It is much cheaper than off the shelf anyway. She loves to reload and we both have good jobs and no kids so the ammo isn't a real big concern.

Offline LeeNJ

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 12:12:55 PM »
And, where are you returning to when the Yukon is on the way back from PEI???? That's a bigger stretch than ANY of the 45-70 arguments.  ::)

Offline Daman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 12:24:10 PM »
That was just by deal for taking her to Prince Edward Island! Don't ask long story!!!!

My theory was that if we go to trouble of getting the passports, I may as well get to go hunting while I had it. If time runs short due to vacation from work, I may settle for another Canadian Bear Hunt, but I am holding out for the Yukon trip!!!

Headed back to South Alabama!

Daman

Offline blacksan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 01:00:39 PM »
I own more calibers then I will ever effectively use and freely admit that 22LR, 30-06 and the venerable 12 gauge will take care of everything here in north america if you practice and know your equipment. On the other hand I must say that life is toooooooo dam short and that is why I shoot and enjoy everything from my 20 cal spring piston air rifles to the 458 Win Mag as often as I can. Who gives a flip what others think as the most important thing is what you think cause each sweep of the second hand brings us all closer to the end.............. ;)

Offline Daman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 01:05:47 PM »
Blacksan

I agree. It is not always about being practical and using what you have. To me part of the hunt is pitting rifle against prey. For example, when my wife and I go on the African safari we want to she will probably shoot a gun she has in the cabinet while I will go get a new 375 H&H. Just my style!

Offline kite

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 04:34:38 PM »
I have an allowance.  Yup PW I suppose.  But it's $125/month and I'll be darned if I can find a reason to squander more than $25 a month.  Make my lunch and coffee to bring to work, fuel is on the house, etc... 

That leaves me $100 bucks a month to rat hole for MY goodies.  That coupled with B-Day's, CHRISTmas, tax refund, etc. leaves enough room for most toys.  The real belly aching for stuff I (think I) NEED is pretty rare and usually and easy go.

Steve

Offline Chas.

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 05:08:16 PM »
A 45-70 on the other hand, well, I've never lost a friend to a wild animal who was carrying a 45-70.

I ain't gonna hunt an animal that carries a rifle - any rifle.

Offline jather

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2010, 05:24:37 PM »
you can always try the old adage-"easier to ask forgiveness than for permission!" hehehe, jather...
i beleive in one christ, and him crucified&arisen at OUR MAKER'S side.

Offline BrianB

• Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2010, 02:28:49 AM »
A 45-70 on the other hand, well, I've never lost a friend to a wild animal who was carrying a 45-70.

I ain't gonna hunt an animal that carries a rifle - any rifle.

Ooops.  Looks like my BS was more BS than I thought!