Author Topic: I can not make up my mind????  (Read 2102 times)

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: I can not make up my mind????
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2010, 12:37:01 PM »
That's not too bad then assuming it's mostly thickly wooded. I've hunted a few times on similar size properties and if they are thick it's as close to fair chase as you'll get with a fence. One place in FL was 1100 acres of mostly swamp. I guess they'd have let you roam around out there had ya wanted to so long as no other hunters were there but if ya had ya might not have gotten out before dark. It was seriously thick.

I recall a 1500 acre range in TX where I shot an axis. Early we saw a HUGE racked monster I wanted badly. He was to my estimation well over 400 yards and moving with a stiff wind. No shot for me in my opinion. We hunted most of the rest of the day and never again spotted him even tho there were fair size open areas on the ranch. While resting watching an opening the one I shot came out following a line of does and I dropped him with a single shot from my .270 at a bit over 100 yards. I don't think he even knew we were there as all he had on his mind were those does he was trailing.

You should have an enjoyable hunt on that size property east of the MS river.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2010, 12:58:14 PM »
Yep...Tioga is an old standby...please let us know how the trip goes and post pics!!!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2010, 02:43:44 PM »
  Have you ever hunted Tioga Doug? If so what did you think of it? I have run across a couple strange so called hunters there. Like the guy that showed up and said he was from a slug only state and all he owned was a shotgun. Little did his guide know but he loaded it up with birdshot. He shot a boar and the guide had to run it down and slit its throat. Then there was the guy that everytime his guide turned around he was looking down his gun barrel. He was finally told they would carry his gun for him.
              bobg

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2010, 04:29:51 PM »
Hi Bobg,

Nope...never hunted Tioga.  I have had a number of relatives who have, an Uncle of mine shot a 365lb boar with a bow and had a good trip.  Another relative goes every 3-4 years on the way home from his almost annual Pennsi deer hunt.  I suspect it's put and take, so I'm not at all interested in driving from MASS. 

My experience to date on preserve and wilderness hunts is that you meet all kinds of characters.  "Farkels" I call'm...y'know the type...all the newest gear, at least 2 guns, 50-60 rounds of ammo for each and a BIG knife....and they never seem to lose sight of the road.......

I don't expect TIOGA is on my list of places to hunt.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!