Author Topic: Opinions of RamShot Powder  (Read 1638 times)

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
Opinions of RamShot Powder
« on: December 26, 2009, 06:46:46 PM »
Anyone have anything good to say about them other than they are avalilable?  Any in general or more specific, 204, 223, 243, 270, 280, 30-30, 308, 30-06, 45-70, 20 and 12 guage.  I think I'd like to try Tac and Big Game for starters in the 30 cal's.  Someone with experience with either?
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: Opinions of RamShot Powder
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 07:47:41 PM »
SUPER stuff.  It burns clean, and the TAC is a fantastic performer in the 223.  I love it.  I also like the Big Game in both my 7 08, and especially my 30 30 contender Super 14 (couldn't get a can of 748 that I wanted to hoard).  I tried the stuff (TAC) for my 223 when I couldn't get other powders after the Obamanation, and I was, and am, very happy.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 11:14:13 PM »
 Ramshot fan here too. I've used lots of TAC, mostly 223 & some 204. I have also used Big Game in the 22-250 & some Exterminator with lighter bullets in the 223. If your a blackpowder shooter & your gun meets the specifics, their Blackhorn 209 is just the ticket. I use enough TAC that I get the 8lb jug now.
NRA, Veteran

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 12:39:39 AM »
ive used a bunch of it mostly exterminator in the .223 and tac in the 308 but have some big game too but to be honest havent even tried it yet. Its good powder. What it mostly is is the same thing as accurate arms powders. Surplus that was bought up and repackaged. I would guess that exterminator is nothing but a lot of wc844 and tac is nothing but wc846. Bottom line is there great powders at a great price and the best thing is there available.
blue lives matter

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 02:54:58 AM »
I've never used any of Western's line of powders. They are not readily available locally so even tho I've been tempted I've not yet tried them. On the good side they are all ball powders which I really do like and all are temperature insensitive unlike most other brands of ball powders.

They now own the Accurate line of powders which I do use and love. I'm hoping in time they will add the temperature insensitivity to the Accurate line as well but that might just be wishful thinking on my part.

I have heard a lot of good comments on them which is one reason I've been tempted but really I have a solid supply of the powders I've been using for years and so hate to add new stuff that is untried by me.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 03:33:39 AM »
Quote from: Graybeard link=topic=193439.msg 1098978194#msg 1098978194 date=1261922098
I've never used any of Westerns line of powders. They are not readily available locally so even tho I've been tempted I've not yet tried them. On the good side they are all ball powders which I really do like and all are temperature insensitive unlike most other brands of ball powders.

They now own the Accurate line of powders which I do use and love. I'm hoping in time they will add the temperature insensitivity to the Accurate line as well but that might just be wishful thinking on my part.

I have heard a lot of good comments on them which is one reason I've been tempted but really I have a solid supply of the powders I've been using for years and so hate to add new stuff that is untried by me.

Very well said, Bill. it mirrors my own opinions as well. I will add it also applies to Vitouvoi <SP>powders as well...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 06:28:54 AM »
I was never a big fan of Ball powders till I got my first pound of TAC , after that I was hooked , now I have TAC , Exterminator , BLC-2 on the shelf with my go-to powders .

Its less costly than some of the Hodgdons & IMR powders yet does a very good job if not better than some .

Try it , you will like the way it works --- Trust Me !  ;D

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline woodchuckssuck

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 06:24:59 PM »
I use Ramshot ZIP for 9mm loading. 3.9gr under a 115gr winchester FMJ functions my Kel-Tec P-11 wonderfully :) Very clean burning, and drops through my Lee Perfect Powder Measure like it was designed for it! never more than .1gr difference.

I have been thinking of TAC for .223, but H335 is more commonly available around me, and I already use it in .35 remington, keeping less different types of powders around is sure a good idea in my mind.

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 03:27:03 AM »
Thanks Folks!  Looks like I'm in for a new powder or two after the first of the year.

....solid supply of the powders I've been using for years and so hate to add new stuff that is untried by me
I understand but I'm reloading just to see what happens not the finished ammo.  I guess for me, the thrill is in the chase.

BF
Butler Ford

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 12:26:00 AM »
I have been using TAC in one of my 223's shooting 40 grain bullets. I have connected on PDs out to 500+ yards with it. Great accuracy and decent velocity too. Priced pretty well too. I bought 8# at under $120, not too bad now days. I cannot say any thing about the rest of the line, but have recently bought a 30-06 and have been thinking of trying some Big Game or Hunter with it. On the subject of different powders; the VihtaVouri line is good too, but one of the more expensive powders :( I really like VV N133 in my 223's shooting 50 grain bullets. I am about to try it in a 22 BR as soon as I get it together. It is very consistent from lot to lot. A lot of the benchrest boys have been using it in their 6mm PPC's with very god results.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 01:31:34 AM »
do a little test. Word is that tac is the same thing as wc846 which is basicaly the military version of blc2, blc2 was the original powder  the military loaded 308s with for many years before it became a commercial powder.
I was never a big fan of Ball powders till I got my first pound of TAC , after that I was hooked , now I have TAC , Exterminator , BLC-2 on the shelf with my go-to powders .

Its less costly than some of the Hodgdons & IMR powders yet does a very good job if not better than some .

stimpy
blue lives matter

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 02:15:42 AM »
do a little test. Word is that tac is the same thing as wc846 which is basicaly the military version of blc2, blc2 was the original powder  the military loaded 308s with for many years before it became a commercial powder.

stimpy

From Wolfe Publishing's Rifle Magazine
Ramshot Powders (restricted can't ship out side of U.S.)
Ramshot
Ramshot Powders are all double-based, spherical shaped smokeless powders. The line is comprised of one shotshell powder, four handgun powders and five rifle powders. All of the powders comprising the Ramshot line are newly manufactured (no military surplus or pull-down powders) and feature excellent lot-to-lot consistencies

Offline High Brass

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 07:49:18 AM »
I've used Ramshot Big Game in 243 Win (70 and 80gr bullets) with great results in accuracy.  Extreme spread in velocities however were quite high in my experience but I didn't worry about it because, well the loads were very accurate.

I've also used TAC in 223/50gr bullets with great accuracy and good velocity (22" bbl) and in 300 Savage with 150gr bullets.  Again accuracy and velocity was great.  I'll likely try it in 30-30 with 150gr bullets soon.

Offline MZ5

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 07:56:20 AM »
For a slightly different set of powders than you're proposing to try:
I've had excellent results from Hunter under 180s in my '06, and excellent results from Magnum in a semi-wildcat 264WSM (270 WSM case necked to .264).  The Ramshot powders won't replace the Winchester Ball rifle powders (748 & 760) for me, but they're an excellent compliment to them and work very well for me where I use them.

Offline Bob A

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 09:27:45 AM »
I've been using Tac in my 30-30 for a few months now and I am very happy with it. Meters very well and performance is comparable to H335 or H4895. I tried Tac because it was the only powder available. Hodgdon is available now but I won't go back. Tac is doing the job and there is no reason to change.
Ramshot got me as a long term customer. Good product and good availability when everyone else was out of business.

Bob A

Offline MZ5

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 05:19:47 PM »
They now own the Accurate line of powders which I do use and love.

Bill and CW:

Have the changing sources of Accurate powders over the (relatively recent) years caused you any troubles?  Will you still be Accurate rifle powder buyers now that they're coming out of the same General Dynamics factory that the IMR rifle powders come from (the plant in Canada)?

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 04:37:03 AM »
They now own the Accurate line of powders which I do use and love.

Bill and CW:

Have the changing sources of Accurate powders over the (relatively recent) years caused you any troubles?  Will you still be Accurate rifle powder buyers now that they're coming out of the same General Dynamics factory that the IMR rifle powders come from (the plant in Canada)?

I have made a point of buying in 8lb increments just because of the reason you mentioned. I keep WC846, Win 748 and now WC680 for all my rifle loading. I use AA#2 for all my 9mm and buying in bulk is the way to go. I can't remember the last time I bought in 1 lb. containers. Now if one has different or more calibers than I do, you can't pull that off. Right now I load for 30-30, 7.62x39mm, 9mm and some .223. These 4 propellants work well for me.

With all the consolidation in the shooting industry, if needed, I would purchase what is available and make it work. That goes for all components, not just propellants. Buy it while it's cheap and stack it deep.

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 03:10:14 PM »
I have several pounds of The Ramshot line and haven't tryed any yet.  Everyone that I have talked to has nothing but good to say.  Western Powder is in Miles City, MT and I live in Billings, so it's a local thing and need to support local business.  My main problem is I have loads worked up for all the older calibers and have laid in good stocks of powder for those loads and would have to do the work-up all over again.  Soooo, my solution is to buy new guns in different calibers so I don't have loads worked up ;D ;).  Hope to try some out this summer.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 03:38:49 PM »
I have several pounds of The Ramshot line and haven't tryed any yet.  Everyone that I have talked to has nothing but good to say.  Western Powder is in Miles City, MT and I live in Billings, so it's a local thing and need to support local business.  My main problem is I have loads worked up for all the older calibers and have laid in good stocks of powder for those loads and would have to do the work-up all over again.  Soooo, my solution is to buy new guns in different calibers so I don't have loads worked up ;D ;).  Hope to try some out this summer.  DP

What a philosopher!  Best plan I've heard in a while.  Don't forget to post your progress.
Butler Ford

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2010, 02:31:20 AM »
just a heads up midway has exterminator on sale for 13 bucks a lb.
blue lives matter