Author Topic: case chamfer  (Read 488 times)

Offline possum6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
case chamfer
« on: December 31, 2009, 09:53:12 AM »
I'm using a lee chamfer tool now and not satisfied. what would be the best up-grade?
I believe everything that happen's, or will happen,was created, or created in the future, GOD knew and created from the very beginning of the foundation of the universe.       Dale

Offline Czech_too

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Contributor
Re: case chamfer
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 10:41:23 AM »
I use the chamfering tool by CH and I'm happy with it.  If the Lee is the one I think it is, and by that I mean small, then I can see why you're not satisfied.  I believe that the RCBS and the CH are about the same in both size and design.
NRA Life Member
Cruffler
INOA

genealogy, another area of interest

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 10:42:14 AM »
RCBS and Redding make them.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 12:21:52 PM »
I've been completely satisfied with my Forster Case Trimmer for the past 50 years.  It's simple to use, very high quality and does an excellent job of case trimming with ease. 

I've also found it comes with accessories that other manufacturers only offer at an extra charge.   :)

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 12:23:08 PM »
RCBS makes 2 sizes, the small is fine unless you are loading 50 and 60 cal.  though, I have no complaints with the Lee either.
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 07:25:29 PM »
I have used the RCBS "spaceship" chamfering tool for many years with nothing but favorable results. A couple years ago, I picked up a LYMAN tool. I like it too, but you need to adjust it for every different diameter...

I recommend the RCBS tool.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 10:05:46 PM »
I have 2 RCBS  years ago I found a co. that made a case to fit over them that had a post on one end that you could put in a drill or drill press. I have one put on each tool. One for doing the inside and one for doing the outside. Works great when you have several hundred cases to do.

Gun Runner

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 02:42:21 AM »
For chafering the inside of the case mouth I like my Lyman VLD chamfering tool. VLD chamfering tools came out to help eliminate disturbing the base of boat tail butllets. I don't load boat tails but it sure makes seating flat base bullets better. I use a Lee tool to deburr the outside of the case mouth.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 11:47:19 AM »
I have a Lyman product.  Don't know the number.  One end works the outside of the case neck and I turn the tool around and bevel the inside.  Seems to work.  Sure is simple to use.

Offline Doug B.

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
  • Still A Kid At Heart - 1971 Honda CT70H
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 12:07:33 PM »
I have a Lyman tool that does both the inside and outside at the same time. Like CW said, you do have to adjust it for different calibers, but I don't find it too much of a hassle. I inserted a machine screw in the end, cut off the pan head and chuck it into my cordless drill. Makes pretty quick work of a bunch of brass.
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI