Author Topic: How close  (Read 411 times)

Offline possum6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
How close
« on: January 01, 2010, 07:26:45 PM »
How close can you have the objective bell to the barrel? If it does not touch will it be okay? I have a 50mm bell on a .243 that is awful close with medium ring's.
I believe everything that happen's, or will happen,was created, or created in the future, GOD knew and created from the very beginning of the foundation of the universe.       Dale

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Re: How close
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 10:03:11 PM »
I have always heard as long as it does not touch the barrel it is fine. I have alway also heard the closer to the barrel the better. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 04:00:56 AM »
You do not want your scope to touch the barrel.  Can you run a dollar bill betwen them ot something thicker like a dime?
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 04:05:03 AM »
I've wondered the same thing, but I've never gotten a better answer than "as long as it's not touching".  I figure that can't be all there is to it, since both the scope and barrel will flex when a shot is fired.  But, it seems to me there are too many factors for a single answer to apply to all situations, so I just make sure I'm comfortable with the amount of separation.  That usually means that if the gap isn't at least a credit card thickness then I'm getting a higher set of rings.

I've also heard that the closer the scope is to the barrel the better, but I think that has more to do with not having to raise your hold to get the correct view through the scope.  

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline possum6

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 12:45:45 PM »
Credit card will just clear the space, measure's .030. Alway's wondered about barrel and action flex.
I believe everything that happen's, or will happen,was created, or created in the future, GOD knew and created from the very beginning of the foundation of the universe.       Dale