Author Topic: Customize, or start from scratch?  (Read 769 times)

Offline IATRKYHNTR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Customize, or start from scratch?
« on: December 19, 2009, 09:23:59 AM »
I’ve been kicking around the idea of customizing my 870 Express magnum 20ga for a few deer seasons now, But I also am a very sentimental sort. My father got me this gun  for my first deer season, and it is the only gun I have ever used (in the Iowa shotgun season) I’ve had the gun for 17 years, it still works great, and is in great condition. It’s just a smooth bore, rifle sights, no frills gun. All of my bests have been with this gun., best hunt, best buck, best shots, and best-WORST misses.

I’m wanting to get a set of laminated thumbhole stock and fore end, fully rifled barrel, and a Bushnell HALO sight (or similar) or Scope. I’m looking to get a lil more accuracy, and range, WITH OUT going to a 12ga. (I’m a 20ga guy) But the idea of a scope doesn’t set the best with me, cause I do not care for them in tight, brushy shots. So that made me think heck, keep this gun as is, use it in the tight spots, and build my custom slugger for the open shots?

This season was going to be the last season I hunted with this gun as is. But all season all I could think about was all the memories I have with this gun, and that puts me in a heck of a bind, do I customize my good ol gun, and still keep the tradition of using the same gun going. OR do I keep my gun as is, not lose any of it’s romance, and start over with a used gun to start my custom project?

Any advice? ???

Thanks,
IATRKYHNTR
Nathan
The west wasn't won with a registered gun!!

Offline jjas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Customize, or start from scratch?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 10:19:29 AM »
FWIW, by the time you purchase a new rifled barrel and stocks you could have purchased a dedicated slug gun that would be more accurate than a switch barrel gun could be, especially @ distances over 100 yards.

You could purchase an USH in 20 gauge for $250.00 new or purchase a Savage 220  20 gauge for around $450.00-$500.00.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily give up on a scope.  A 1.5-6 powered scope would give you a wide field of view on the low end and enough magnification @ the high end for longer shots.

Best of luck to you,

Jim

Offline spruce

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 01:06:22 PM »
After that many seasons, and especially considering who gave it to you, I don't think I could do anything to it.

I would buy another gun set up the way you want it and keep the old one in the safe and oiled up.  No matter how good your new one works I'll bet someday you'll want to take the old 870 out again.

I have an old Iver Johnson 20 ga that was my father's.  It seldom gets used anymore, but when it does it makes for a special day.

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 11:20:29 AM »
I would buy a new USH 20ga. and keep your old gun as is. My bet is that no matter how accurate the new gun is you will find yourself going back to the old for certain hunts.

Offline FredWT

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 04:23:48 PM »
Since we are spending your money, get the Savage 210!

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 08:27:28 AM »

You won't be happy customizing your existing gun.  Once you get finished, it will look atrocious, and all you would think about is how you screwed up a gun you love.

Save up and buy a different gun, and keep the great old one for 100 yard hunts.

Mannyrock

Offline Bucker

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 02:44:03 AM »
I went threw a similar situation. For our 1st anniversary my wife bouyght me a 44mag Super redhawk.  I quit pistol hunting about 6 years ago and have become avid in BP shooting/hunting.  She told me trade it for a Pro Hunter as it is sitting in the case anyhow. She felt as long as I was using the gift for something i love doing she wasn't upset that I traded the pistol away.  Finally broke down and did it.  I thank her all the time for my Pro Hunter. It is the love of the sport, not the weapon that I carry over in the field from my father and the weapon is just an added tool to pursue the outdoors.
Please be sure to check your gun at the door.  WHAT!

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 09:42:55 AM »
That gun means alot to you by all means update it and keep using it. IMO glue a rifled slug barrel in it and drill & tap the reciever for a red dot sight. For your type of hunting you will have the perfect slug gun.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte