Author Topic: Finally Shot My Mod 88 12ga  (Read 592 times)

Offline SM Bob

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Finally Shot My Mod 88 12ga
« on: December 30, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »
I finally shot my H&R Mod 88 12ga full choke shotgun. I picked it up almost a year ago.
It shot great! I was especially happy since I only paid $75 for it. It's the first single shot
shotgun I have ever owned. My daughter fired it once and it was a bit too much for her.
I'm going to look for a 20ga or maybe a .410 youth model for her soon if I can find a used
one for a decent price. These old school H&R shotguns are awesome! I blasted some
plastic 12oz water bottles and some potatoes into next week! It was too much fun! ;D

Robert

Offline WyoStillhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Finally Shot My Mod 88 12ga
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 05:49:45 PM »
I bought an 088 on a whim at K-Mart (IIRC) in the 1980s.  It is a 3", 12 ga. modified with a 28" bbl. from breech face to muzzle.  I spray painted it and carried it on a turkey hunt and a few times for squirrel, etc. when I lived in Missouri.  But it never really go used too much.  Since moving to Wyoming I have taken it on one pheasant hunt instead of using one of my pump guns.  A year or two ago I added swivel studs and a simple sling.

Last Saturday I put on my snowshoes and tromped around the base of the mountain at our cabin in the Snowy Range, Albany County, Wyoming.  The H&R 088 was the perfect gun for the day: light, simple, safe, effective.  I fell once and the shotgun was completely buried in the snow.  I shook it off, broke the action, checked the barrel, and was good to go.  I carried it unloaded as there was lots of snow.  I checked the barrel often.  When I finally spotted a cottontail I checked the barrel and loaded it.

An old ranch place sits on state land bordering our cabin property.

It was quiet with no wind to speak of.

I spotted three different groups of deer but all were too distant for photos.  Here is a view back toward the cabin from about ½ mile away.  The cabin sits in the aspen grove in the center of the picture above the big open sagebrush prairie.

After three hours of slogging around in the snow I spotted a cottontail in the willow bottom, back down by the ranch site.  Another ran off and I failed to track it up but the first one stayed put just a second too long.

The 7/8 oz. of #6 did the job.  (If I were having a youngster shoot this gun 7/8 oz. is the load I would use.) I am not a fan of butt cuffs for ammo but they make sense on a single shot like the Model 088.

Hunt close, then get closer.

Offline SM Bob

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 07:01:30 PM »
WyoStillhunter,
Nice job on the rabbit! I agree with you. That Mod 88 is so light and simple. That's what makes it
so fun to carry and shoot. Thanks for the pics too! Looks like some beautiful country!

Robert

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 11:09:04 AM »
Beautiful country!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.