Author Topic: red dot parallax?  (Read 1231 times)

Offline mtbugle

• Trade Count: (32)
  • Contributor
red dot parallax?
« on: January 05, 2010, 10:03:13 AM »
I left this question on scope sight for a day and didn't get any responces. I remember some here have mentioned using them and I spend most of my time in handi area anyway.
I just got a tasco red dot 1x scope to put on my 357 handi. I was looking through it and at about 40 feet the dot moved about 6 inches depending on if in center of lense or at extremes of sides. Is this normal? I thought I had heard before that as long as the dot is visible it is suppose to be on target. Looking forward to info as this is my first reddot.
thanks Don.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
Re: red dot parallax?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 10:26:55 AM »
Thats my understanding of red dots, but I try to center it anyway. I have a BSA 1X red dot on my mossy 835 for turkey hunting and a Tru Glo 2X on my 20ga Tracker II
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline mtbugle

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 10:32:02 AM »
spikehorn. Youre understanding is that the dot should not move? Perhaps you could see if your red dot does this when seen other than from straight on? I knew this was a better site to get a fast answer.
Thanks Don.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 11:33:20 AM »
I had one once and had to quit using it for just this problem.  Paralax error was 3 feet at 100 yards.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 11:37:38 AM »
I shoot NRA bullseye competition. Red Dot scopes are status quoe. I have had them all, all have paralax. The best quailty (little paralax) I have seen is from AIMPOINT. But they $$$$, the COMP C on my Walther OSP was $400!!

I have had VERY good luck with ULTRA DOT scopes. They run about $150+-

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline mtbugle

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 11:57:56 AM »
I guess if I mount far as can forward then any checkweld at all should minimize this effect since it seems to have infinite eye relief.
thanks don.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 12:09:47 PM »
Quote from: mtbugle link=topic=194670.msg 1098987830#msg 1098987830 date=1262732276
I guess if I mount far as can forward then any check weld at all should minimize this effect since it seems to have infinite eye relief.
thanks don.

You will still get the negative effects of parallax. it doesn't come form you, its the relationship of the dot to the target looking thru the scope...  As long as you shoot with the dot in EXACTLY the same position in the scope, your shots will hit on target where you aimed them. (So I guess you correct, it will minimize the neg effects.) If you get "lazy" and fire with the dot a bit, up, down, left or right than the bullet will not hit where you intended. This is parallax in a red dot scope....

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 02:04:44 PM »
shoot with both eyes open with an unmagnified red dot...
i'm an old timer and can't see no gud either....but i can hit what i point at
wif both eyes open. some folks like the largest dot. that makes a difference
in poi.. i ain't got nar prollum with my bush trophy red-dot.
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline mtbugle

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 02:35:56 PM »
Thanks
I just figured the farther forward the scope, for a given change in eye position the smaller angular displacement, and angular displacement from center of lense is the cause of the parallax.
guess on a 357 I shouldn't be shooting far enough to miss the target or game for this reason. Will have to experiment. BTW I got the one with the solar panel on top, so should not have to use up batteries except in very low light times.
thanks Don

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 02:41:52 PM »
With the tru glo 2X on my Tracker II 20ga I put three shots into two holes touching at 65 yards, and I shoot that one with both eyes open also.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline shvlhead.45

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 03:50:34 PM »
While red dots are suppose to be parallax free, I've noted that some do exhibit signs of parallax inside of 50m.  When zeroing the M68 CCO (Aimpoint M2) we always treated them as though they had parallax inside of 50m.  When shooting a firearm with a red dot I like to keep a good check to stock weld if shooting a rifle.

I use the EOTECH on my M Forgery and don't notice the parallax like I do on my red dots.  Holographics seem to be more parallax free than the red dot scopes.  My next "dot" will be a Burris Fastfire or the JP Enterprises J Point reflex sight (that looks like the Burris Fastfire). 

Shoot both types with both eyes open. 

For me, I zero with a 6 O'Clock hold or as was discribed to me as a crazy 8 hold.  I want bullet impact to sit directly on top of my red dot.  I don't cover my traget that way.

Regards
Shvlhead.45

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 03:35:15 AM »
I have several red dots with zero magnification and I have never experienced a paralax problem.  Does it only occur in magnified scopes?  With mine, the bullet goes where the dot is.

Pete

Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 03:44:14 AM »
Hold the gun or red dot in a vice, pick a far spot and then move your head right and left.
On some red dots the "dot" will move off your target.

Some do, some don't....
Got:
Handi VP 22/410, 410, 20, 17M2, .223, 357MAX, 50cal ML SS w/MU plug

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 12:37:05 PM »
i guess its just me, but i only pull the trigger when the dot is in the center... i think !!!!
but the target most of the time goes... FLOP (DRT) or it might go a lil ways sumtimes  ;D

pete,  i have not experianced that problem either.
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.