Author Topic: Turkey Load for the 30-06  (Read 1474 times)

Offline john singleton mosby

• Trade Count: (0)
Turkey Load for the 30-06
« on: December 17, 2009, 08:58:30 AM »
 I know that the 30-06 is way too much cartridge normally for hunting wild turkeys but does anyone have a reduced load they recommend for the 30-06 that will not blow them to smithereens?

I know there are 100 grain .308 bullets out there in FMJ type but I am not so sure they would be considered adequate to properly anchor a turkey and prevent their flying off and dying later.

Offline SHOOTALL

Re: Turkey Load for the 30-06
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 10:01:47 AM »
Any ball ammo will work but could be dangerous if the back stop is not good . I have shot several turkeys with rifles the 3006 being one i know i have shot 2 with . By accident early on i hit one in the rear end . The shot took off part of the rear end and seemed to pull out most of the innerns ( helped clean the bird ) . I have used that shot ever since with same result - no wasted meat . Turkeys can take alot of abuse if the wings are folded its like armor plate so reduce your load to much and you might not have enough.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline mcgrow

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 12:32:02 PM »
In my country we have no turkeys but I do a lot of fun hunting hares with a  180 gr cast bullet and 10 grains of Unique (expect 1100 fps). You need to adjust the scope a little but is a very nice, low noise, 100 yds range small game shot
Gus

Offline Autorim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 03:26:21 PM »
Is the '06 your only rifle?

Offline chutesnreloads

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 04:52:43 PM »
Use the load you're useing now and shoot 'em in the base of the neck just where it starts to widen

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 07:17:12 AM »
"Beware the man with one gun.  He likely knows how to shoot it!"

Use your existing load.  Practice Practice Practice.

Shoot the turkey's head off.

Dinner!

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline goodconcretecolor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 05:38:47 PM »
110 gr RN FMJ, 19 grains  SR 4759. 1900fps Hits point of aim at 100yds where my deer load hits 3 inches high at that range. I use this a lot as a pracrice load. Very fun to shoot.

Offline kyhareraiser

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 07:59:14 AM »
can'y shoot turkeys with a rifle here in ky ,,must use a shot gun..how ever..i'd say practice shootin' too..head shot on a turkey even with a 12 guage i've missed a couple ..be sure to watch the background for other hunters and open areas leading to civilation ;D
i wish i was just half the man,that my dog thinks i am

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 08:19:44 AM »
 ;) I haven't shot a gobble with the 06, but have killed a bunch with the .222, 223, and .22-250..Now I use either 63 or 64 grain bullets in these calibers, mostly the first 2, and try and shoot for the wing butts..The head is always in motion so almost a luck shot at best...The wing butts hold takes out the heart lungs, etc. The breat seems to lie pretty low on the turkey so a center hold on a broadside turkey will take out the spine...Forget the reduced load stuff...from what I have seen and the turkey hunters I have visited with...Old gobblers are tough...I suppose if I were going to use and 06, I would develop a very accurate load with something like 180 grain Rem. CL...Something that would expand and shock with out blowing up...This is the toughest thing with rifles, some expansion with out too much...

Offline Jay, Tx

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 05:15:32 PM »
I agree. Use what you use all the time. Shoot them at the base of the neck. If you must body shoot them, we have one rule we always try to follow. "Shoot'em high, watch'em die. Shoot'em low, watch'em go."

When spring Turkey hunting, I carry my 222 with Vmax varmint loads (legal in the part of Tx we spring turkey hunt). I'm the primary caller most of the time since everyone else carries shotguns. I get dibs on the last bird unless they circle us and come in from behind. Luckily, so far every turkey I killed spring hunting was within 30yds. So I don't really feel I'm cheating since we're callin'em into shotgun range anyway.

But I've taken many during the fall too, and always with a deer rifle then.

Jay
Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions.

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 10:27:29 PM »
 ;) As far as calling in turkey and shooting them with a rifle at less than 50 yards, that is real skill..Shooting them with a shotgun on the ground is one of the most un sporting things I have ever heard of but for some reason the wild turkey federation thinks it is an honorable thing to do...It is the only bird hunters kill this way...Look back, the old time hunters Askins and Davis, both felt the real sport called them in and hunted with a rifle...What skill does it take to shoot a beer can off a fence post with a 3 inch mag. 12 ga.....   >:(

Offline chutesnreloads

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 05:08:08 PM »
Think the shot gun requirement is a safety issue but I agree it takes more skill with a  rifle.I use a rifle because I can shoot them even when they don't come in close.

Offline 41 mag

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
    • My Pictures
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 01:41:19 PM »
Old neighbor of mine used his '06, and got several every year for as long as he was around. He shot Hornady 180gr spire points, same as he shot his deer with. He waited till he got a head on shot and and aimed right for the base of the neck like has been suggested, said he didn't like eating the back anyway.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 02:00:47 PM »
The shotgun requirement is so you have to call them in close. Calling a turkey in close is tougher than popping ol' Tom at 100yards or more with a rifle.

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 03:55:36 AM »
 ;D Trying to kill one less than 50 yards with a rifle is real skill....

Offline 243dave

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 06:59:51 AM »
If you're like me you use a shotgun woods hunting and a rifle when hunting the fields.  That said, don't download your 06 and use the most accurate load for it.  Out to around 200yds I aim for the base of the neck like the others have said.  At longer range I hold for the center of bird for a bigger target to ensure a good hit.  I generally try not to blow the breast up(thats the good eat'n) so I make sure the bullet doesn't exit out the front.  Make sure you practice and know your limitations,  mine is 400yds with a rangefinder in field positions.  Use the rifle to extend your range and don't worry about people saying rifle hunting turkey is unethical, wild turkey just taste to good!!     Dave 

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 02:41:15 PM »
In my state, hunting turkey with a rifle is illegal to the tune of 4 figure fines.

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 03:50:15 PM »
 >:( :-\ I feel sorry for you and the state....

Offline mbopp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 04:22:42 PM »
"The Constitution is not an instrument for government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government, lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." -- Patrick Henry, American Patriot