Author Topic: actual content of inner case neck lube ?  (Read 645 times)

Offline preventec47

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
actual content of inner case neck lube ?
« on: January 06, 2010, 03:03:00 AM »
                                                                                                                               yyyyyyvvvvvactual content of inner case neck lube  ?

Other than the dry powder lube, has anyone
figured out what the lube is that goes
on wet and then dries so as to not contaminate
the powder in the cartridge ?

I was thinking maybe a wax disolved in a solvent that evaporates ?

If I knew the names of several I would try to look them up in the
federal MSDS database ( Material Safety Data Sheet ?)

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Re: actual content of inner case neck lube ?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 05:28:52 AM »
 Just a note for ya on msds, I use those all the time at my job, I'm a process chemical engineer, it's a big word that means I mix stuff. We make plastic, medical supply's.
 If a product is paten, or prioritized, they don't have to tell you what's init. They can say "11 secret herbs and spices".
 They just need to list reactivity, time weighted averages, recomended personal protection, disposal, clean-up an such. They can put it in language the average feller would need a lawyer to interpret.
 That said, Lee says their case lube won't harm powder. I use RCBS Case Lube-2 with their pad then wash and dry my cases before loading, I guess waiting isn't a big deal for me, kinda getting older and not so much in a hurry ya know?
found elsewhere

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 06:37:30 AM »
I think most of the inside neck lubes use Mica for the lube.  Probably also a carrier that evaporates off like the way graphite lock lube works.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 11:00:50 AM »
Do you have something against mica?  I have been using it for years and years, works very well. Simple to use and it works.

The Dillon case lube is alcohol based carrier with lanolin. Alcohol evaporates off leaving a coating of lanolin... Much like other companies products.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 11:49:27 AM »
Used that powdery stuff one day.  Stuck in a case neck then spilled all over my reloading bench.  Threw it away. 

Tried the imperial sizing die wax or other lubes on a Q-tip.  Worked good when I was loading 50-100 loads at a sitting. 

Now too many loads to load to too little time.  Cases get dumped 100-200 at a time into my little 9x13 baking pan, head down, neck up, get three or four spritzes of the Dillon case lube, cases get knocked over, couple more spritzes and wait 5 minutes.  Alcohol evaporates and cases have nice lube of lanolin over outside of the case and inside the case necks.  After sizing all cases, they go back to the tumbler for cleaning. 

I have three progressive presses and only use them for start to finish reloading for pistol cartridges or neck sized only (with carbide die or button) rifle cases.  Full length sized bottle neck cases and all of my rifle hunting cases are lubed, sized, cleaned before reloading. 

If you use that powdery stuff for your neck lube........don't sneeze!!

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline scratcherky

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 06:14:54 AM »
I use RCBS case lube on the pad and use it with a brush to lube inside the neck. I do not worry about cleaning it out the neck and never have had any problems.
Don & man's best friend
Still looking at the green side of sod

Offline MildBill

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 04:05:01 AM »
I'm new to reloading and being mentored by a 30 yr+ reloader. He taught me to use a lead pencil #2 lead. I apply the pencil lead to the neck as a roll lube the cases. Works well on the 22-250s and 7 mm RemMags I've reloaded.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 11:28:53 AM »
  Imperial sizing wax.

I lightly touch the wax with my finger, wipe my finger on the case, and then lightly pull my finger across the neck, leaving an ever so light film of wax/lube.  This is the way i've been doing it since the 70's...

DM