Author Topic: Mounting a Scope Rail on a 12 Ga barrel ???  (Read 493 times)

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
Mounting a Scope Rail on a 12 Ga barrel ???
« on: January 20, 2010, 12:50:42 PM »
I am thinking about mounting a Weaver scope rail on a 12 ga Pardner barrel, so I can put a red dot on it.

I think I have read around here that the 12 ga is too thin to drill and tap. Correct?

What if, I made a jig to hold it straight and then took some acraglass and bedded it to the barrel, would it stick?
If it won’t, what if I bedded it with release agent on the barrel to create a large contact patch that some good glue might stick to. What would be the name of that good glue?

What if one of yall just told me how you already did it and it worked perfectly?

Then, what if I get bored with that in a few months and want to undo it, will it come off?
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: Mounting a Scope Rail on a 12 Ga barrel ???
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 05:10:31 PM »
Get a steel mount and silver solder it.

Spanky

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 01:18:41 PM »
Who makes steel rails?
Weaver and NEF feel like aluminum.
I guess if I do not use not the screws holes, the only concerns are that its round on the bottom and long enough, right?
Does the soldering mess up the bluing?
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 01:23:57 PM »
All scope rails for H&Rs are listed in the FAQs and Help sticky, Warne makes two steel rails that would work. Personally, I'd consider drilling and tapping one 8-40 hole for a recoil stop and use good epoxy and prep to further mount it. But silver solder is a better idea, that's how H&R attaches them to the standard 12ga barrels.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain