Author Topic: Fore end question  (Read 421 times)

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
Fore end question
« on: January 07, 2010, 02:07:02 AM »
On my new 7mm-08, I noticed the right side of the fore end if you are looking from the butt stock down onto the top of the gun has more space than the left side of the fore end does. Should I sand the left side down to match or is this normal. I have not pulled the trigger on this gun yet so I have no idea about how it shoots. I also am going to pick up the stuff to float the barrel this weekend so the difference in the sides of the fore end may not matter.

Thanks
Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
Re: Fore end question
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 02:47:47 AM »
With all the recent problems with sight/scope rail alignment, and now a poorly fitted forend, it seems, for now, they're turning out some pretty shabby work.  They need to kick QC into high gear.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 03:00:26 AM »
My scope rail is centered beautifully, but I have heard others here talking of problems. I don't mind having to sand the forearm a little on a $220 dollar rifle (picked NIB @ pawn shop). I just wanted to know if once I floated the forearm if I needed to getting the spacing the same on both sides of the forearm.
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 03:50:43 AM »
Shoot it first. If you see a problem in the way the rifle groups, then start working on the little things...unless the look of it just bothers you. If it does, go for it.
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline zackyholdem

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 09:37:28 AM »
i had the same exact problem with a new 30-06 last november, i sent it back because of short-striking and i also asked them so give me a new forend. They wouldn't give me a new forend but they "adjusted" the one that was on the gun. the best i could tell was that they moved it back towards center maybe 1/16th of an inch, but it was still off center, but the gun shot well even with the forend off center, so shoot it and see first and then try some sanding
When freedom shivers in the cold shadow of true peril, Its always the patriots who first hear the call. - Charlton Heston

Handi's -30-06, 223 Ultra, 7mm-08, 44 mag, 45-70, 17hmr, Tracker II 12ga, Pardner 10ga (2)12ga's and .410