Author Topic: So what did I end up with????  (Read 583 times)

Offline bagdadjoe

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Contributor
So what did I end up with????
« on: January 09, 2010, 09:38:41 AM »
I just picked up a Handi rifle at the Lex, Ky gunshow earlier today.....22 Hornet heavy barrel SB2(looks like a bull to me) and the receiver serial starts with NJ and is made in Gardner.  It's either satin nickel or stainless, with synthetic stocks and a p.o.s. Tasco 3x9.  It looks like it's been gunrack carried, but not too bad.
I paid $200 for the whole thing.  Will this take, for instance, a 30-30 barrel?  I'm not up on these, but I had to have me one.  Gotta start somewhere.  My neighbor has started a "cat rescue" project, apparently. Which I take to mean...bring 15-20 strays home and unleash them on the neighborhood.
Today I'm starting my own quail, rabbit and squirrel rescue ;D, if you get my meaning.
So, all that to say this....what barrels will this receiver take, do they make a stainless (if so, I'll bead-blast it new again) and is this in the right $ range?  I found out immediately you can shoot your eye out....ejector's a strong little critter!!!!
thanks
"By all means, make friends with the dog...but do not set aside the stick".

Offline chevyone

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
Re: So what did I end up with????
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 09:44:21 AM »
I found it's best to call customer service and give them the serial nunber, they will tell you what barrels will fit.
Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens!!

You can't fix stupid!!!!!!

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 10:16:54 AM »
Fair price for a used handi. If you had wanted the scope, would have been a better deal. First thing to figure out if the 3 digits electropenciled on the barrel (remove it by undoing the forend screw and pulling the forend) match the last 3 digits of the receiver. That implies that the barrel was factory fitted and thgat the receiver is right for other centerfire barrels. At the same time look in the receiver. There are pics in the FAQ, but an SB1 (non-centerfire rifle) receiver looks like a cast iron skillet with a seam down the middle. An SB2 (what you want) is somewhat smoother and has a step. Picture tells a thousand words. SB2 on the barrel means little.

Offline lee1954

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 10:36:33 AM »
   Wish that I could find a deal like that... and reloading with cast bullets, you can get a 22 hornet to be very quite, short range loads - still  have good power in full loads
   You got a deal
       Now just watch for other barrels in classifide            Dan 

Offline bagdadjoe

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 10:52:56 AM »
Thanks to all!  I took the barrel off..no penciled #'s but, it is an SB2 frame according to the photos in the FAQ area.  Probably the only barrels I would consider off hand would be a 30-30 or 38-55 just because I have a lot of reloading stuff for both.  Already sold all my 300 Weatherby stuff  ;)
The lockup is tight and without any wiggle, vertical or horizontal.  I've had oodles of TC's over the years but no Handi's.  Already I like the way the barrel change-out works.  No pesky pin to drive in and out.
And....TC's can have barrel fitting issues as well.  I've had more than a couple that were a bear to open on a certain frame whereas another barrel would be silky smooth.
I'm going to love this gun when I get a proper scope.  Not that I couldn't live with this one....except the eye relief is way short.
thanks again, guys!

Offline wreckhog

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 11:34:02 AM »
If eye relief is short, can't you move the rings, assuming that you have an H&R base with a lot of slots? Fitting a scope in low rings on a Handi without touching the hammer is a bit of trial and error, but generally, you can make it work as long as you have a hammer extension. Med and high rings are a piece of cake.

Offline bagdadjoe

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 01:28:45 PM »
The power adjust ring is a bit too bulky to move it back at it's present height.  I'm going to dig through my cave tomorrow and see if I don't have some higher rings. As it sits now, I could move the scope back a bit if it were an 1/8" higher.  Can't be too much of a prob.  Thanks!

Offline wreckhog

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 01:54:52 PM »
cwlongshot has posted pics of his setups many times. Often a scope needs to sit is a particular spot and clears the hammer by less than 0.1" Doesn't have to clear the entire bell, just has to ying to the yang.  Seeing is believing.

This thread has quick's setup.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,178019.0.html