Author Topic: Reclaim your hunting spot  (Read 1757 times)

Offline jagster

• Trade Count: (0)
Reclaim your hunting spot
« on: October 14, 2003, 10:55:43 AM »
I could you use some tips/advice on things I could to deter, prohibit, and or reduce the effectivemess of inconsiderate people hunting my spot with dogs.  I have a small strip of woods that is adjacent to a hwy.  Legally you can't hunt most of it and it is pretty thick, so I decided to make this a santuary.  Unfortunately the low lifes like to drop their dogs off almost daily to flush my land.  I've tried talking to the dog owners, but they are jerks.  The warden hasn't been any help either.  It frustrating b/c there isn't alot of quality bedding land.  When they run a dozen hounds through, it messing up my hunitng for days.  

Some things I've done in the past.
- Spread fox urine across common running lanes throw off the dogs
- A simple kick in the butt, when I do get close enough

Any other things I can do to keep my land a viable hunting spot?

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2003, 11:48:21 AM »
If it is private land and you hold the hunting rights to any of it, post it as such and prosecute all offenders. If it is public land, then unfortunately it is every man's right to use within the limits of the law. As long as running dogs is legal and those "low lifes" are not breaking any other laws, they have just as much right to run their dogs through it as you do to hunt it. Not a pretty picture, and not fair from your perspective for sure, but the nature of the game as far as public land goes.

Are the dogs running on anyone's property that is private land that you might persuade to protest along with you? Sometimes several voices will get action from law enforcement when one voice alone will not, especially if it involves property owners' rights.

This sad tale is just another reason why no one can afford to buy a piece of hunting land anymore - it's all gone out of sight price-wise because of the increased demand. People are tired of dealing with all the public land crap and want a piece of their own land to hunt. Increased demand has led to increased prices. It is cheaper here in Texas to lease a quality place for 50 years than to purchase a place a third the size of the lease.

Of course we don't have much public land, and most of that is mis-managed to hell by TPWD.  In five years of trying I haven't drawn into a single public hunt. I'm not even sure I would want to given all the rules and restrictions they are dreaming up in the name of management. Some of their so-called "managed lands" are being managed to allow the harvest of one actual deer per every 2,000 acres or more. How is that management?

Anyway, as to your dog problem, I don't know of any ethical solution. Such is the case with jerks and inconsiderates. They don't respect anything, including what they themselves value. :twisted:
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline jhm

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2003, 03:44:29 AM »
Jagster :  This isnt going to be the kind of answer you will want to hear nor will anybody else, buy a couple of high dollar goats as if you are raising them, post your property no dogs allowed due to livestock, check with the law enforcement dept in that area and see if you have the right to protect your property from the dogs chasing them when you know they are out there call the law on them and make a report of it and then take care of it yourself, there is also the 3 S sulation, good luck. :D JIM          

( 1 S shoot )                                                                                        
 ( 2 S shovel )                                                                                      
 ( 3 S shutup )

Offline grouper sandwich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://members.fishingworks.com/groupersandwich/
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2003, 06:14:39 AM »
Shot the damn things.  Oops, I thought that they were coyotees.  It's amazing what 150 grains of lead moving at 3000FPS will do to a deer dog. :)

Offline willis5

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2003, 07:00:43 AM »
is it your land or not?
Cheers,
Willis5

Offline SingleShotShorty

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2003, 06:12:39 AM »
I must be a redneck because if you own the land the solution is simple tell these guy's to keep thier dogs off your land or your going to shoot them. Then if the dogs are let out on your land then shoot them and forget about the shovel coyotes need to eat same as worms. :roll:
Old Age and Treachery Will Alway's Overcome
Youth and Skill.

Offline hunt4570

• Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
    • Harley FLT?FLH bikes and Rides
dogs
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2003, 04:39:16 AM »
If its your land go dog hunting and have fun.Trespass hunters make nice targets also.SGB
PETA.....P eople  E ating  T asty  A nimals

Come visit my forum  http://forums.delphiforums.com/anyride/start

Offline Lee D.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2003, 06:01:43 AM »
Still no answer on whether he actually owns the land.
somewhere betwixt a baulk and a breakdown

Offline willis5

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2003, 06:15:14 AM »
that is the key.
Cheers,
Willis5

Offline jagster

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2003, 10:26:51 AM »
For clarification I do own the land and I have it posted.  Additionally I have run no hunting notices in the paper and had the warden visit.  I'm not faulting the warden for no success here.  I've had them booked before only to have a judge throw out the case.  I would rather not send the dogs to their maker...I'd still have to deal with a few jerks.

Offline bullet maker

• A Real Regular
tresspassing dogs.
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2003, 06:58:50 PM »
I know this solution is not going to be easy for most of the poster`s out there, but when the law  and courts fail you, you have to protect yourself, and property. I know the experience your going through, cause I had the same problem and continue once in a while but not as much as in the past. Your at your wit`s end and you just what to be left alone to hunt your own property.
   The solution is Gopher poison. You can get it at hardware stores or feed stores, just make sure it is the rounded seeds. It has the highest consentration of strychnine you can get without a perscription. Mix it up throughly in meat and dump it at the site where you see the dogs. It will kill them in 30 minutues. What I mean by rounded seeds, is thats what it looks like. Not the poison peanuts. they advertise.
   There will be alot of do-gooders that will blast me for this, but you know what? I got my deer population back.
bullet maker :twisted:
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.

Offline jhm

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2003, 12:56:08 AM »
bullet maker :  I have to agree with you have always said you land as long as you own it is yours and any one who turns their dogs loose on anothers land to run the game out without permission is a theif and a trasspasser, we had a bunch about 15 miles from here who had some high dollar dogs with tracking collars that went thru this same issue after a while their were fewer and fewer dogs running across the mans property, BTW thats where I got the goat theory. :D    JIM

Offline bullet maker

• A Real Regular
reclaim your hunting spot
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2003, 05:13:06 AM »
Quote from: jagster
For clarification I do own the land and I have it posted.  Additionally I have run no hunting notices in the paper and had the warden visit.  I'm not faulting the warden for no success here.  I've had them booked before only to have a judge throw out the case.  I would rather not send the dogs to their maker...I'd still have to deal with a few jerks.

Hi jagster :D
   You said you had not rather send the dogs to their maker. Well if you want the hunting spot back, that`s what your going to have to do, my recomendation that I posted earlier. You can`t deal with these type of people, I know, I had the same problem. The law out here where I live, will not respond to trespassing issues anymore, they recommend gettiing hold of the game ranger. :roll:  Fat chance, during hunting season, these guys are busy up to their eye`s just trying to catch the poachers, at that time of year. It all fall`s back to us, the landowners, good luck to you, and remember its your land, your the one paying taxes on it, it will be handed down (I assume) to your grandchildren, so take care of the problem now.
bullet maker :D
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.

Offline Woodchuk

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2003, 06:13:55 AM »
Any chance a town DOG warden might be able to help.  In addition to trespassing the dogs owners may be violating lease laws.  And the Dog warden may not be as busy this time of year as the game wardens.  Might be happy to have something to do...

If that doesn't work I'd post signs threatening the shooting of the dogs.  I know you'd rather not kill the dogs but sometimes the threat might be enough to make some people think twice.

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
get my hunting area back
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2003, 02:06:20 PM »
I can't believe the answers to this post. Some of you people would shoot the dog for doing what it's master is letting it do? My dogs sometimes get off of my property. If you shot one of them you damn well better be prepared to dodge flying lead.

bobg :evil:

Offline Lee D.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2003, 03:08:26 PM »
Bob G
 What do you suggest he do?
I don't like the idea of shooting the dogs either but, if I wanted my land back I would do something.
somewhere betwixt a baulk and a breakdown

Offline hunt4570

• Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
    • Harley FLT?FLH bikes and Rides
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2003, 04:32:40 PM »
BobG  occaisionaly getting loose is different than the problem seems to be here.And as a landowner I say if you can't control your dogs toooooo bad don't cry to me.And if I have to dodge lead on my property you'ld better be ready for WWIII. SGB :toast:
PETA.....P eople  E ating  T asty  A nimals

Come visit my forum  http://forums.delphiforums.com/anyride/start

Offline bullet maker

• A Real Regular
Re: get my hunting area back
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2003, 06:25:44 PM »
Quote from: bobg
I can't believe the answers to this post. Some of you people would shoot the dog for doing what it's master is letting it do? My dogs sometimes get off of my property. If you shot one of them you damn well better be prepared to dodge flying lead.

bobg :evil:

How much land do you own, bobg? Have you ever had the problem that the other gentleman is having? What did you do with the problem, if you had one? :twisted:
   If you study his statement, he has done all that is necessary.  He posted it, had trespassing dogs in the past with owners, prosecuted, only to be kicked out of court :twisted:
   There are no good for nothing tresspassers that know the law also, and they know he don`t stand a chance in court. So they will keep kicking the sand in his face till he gives up. I`ve dwelt with these type of people before. :lol: See what you people that don`t agree with shooting the dogs don`t understand, is these dog people don`t really care about there dog`s anyhow, and there are people in the midst of us, that will run our deer hunting in the ground if they have a chance, they are called game hogs.
  My two cents worth.
bullet maker

Offline Myk

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2003, 08:10:15 PM »
Here's my 2ยข, killing someone's dog without their permission when it isn't a threat to you or your livestock is against the law. Killing a dog for no good reason is against the law. Poisoning a dog is against the law. This is along the lines of every state's cruelty laws.

VA laws say those dogs can enter his property, posted or not. The owners of the dogs can enter his property to get the dogs, posted or not. If he doesn't like it he needs to lobby to have that law changed. Didn't anyone wonder why the judge threw out the case? It's because while deer hunting right now with the dogs may be illegal, the dogs hunting his ground isn't. So it would be up to him to prove they were there with the intent to hunt the deer and not some other animal. Innocent until proven guilty, remember?

But some here with no idea of what the law is in VA are offering what amounts to illegal advice. Advice that if any animal rights activists would happen upon would be more fuel for their fire. Just what we need.
Is it any wonder hunters get painted as drunken hicks when that's what they act like, both the trespassers and those trying to fight the trespassers?

I'd buy it that the dogs are there to hunt deer. So you train them not to. Instead of using fox scent, use deer scent and run it into a pile of fine ground hot pepper powder. Use the fox scent and run that to a pile of food. You've just trained those dogs not to chase deer and to chase fox.

Trap the dogs and send them to the pound. Dogs aren't free to get out and they aren't easy to train. The owners may not care about them but they will get tired of having to either bail them out or retrain new ones.

But kill the dogs. Just because he's already said he doesn't want to do that, who cares about the dang ol' dogs or what he's said he doesn't want to do. And just because he's already gone to court about it and the dogs are legally there, when the dogs turn up dead he won't be suspect at all.  :roll:

Offline bullet maker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2003, 12:45:13 AM »
Hey Myk :shock:
   Chill out dude, who pulled your chain anyhow? :twisted: You make the statement about VA laws, O.K. site some of them. I`ll ask you the same question as an earlier poster, you got any land? You had such problem before ? Who gave you the gift, as to what the judge meant when he kicked the case out? By the way if you read the post, you would have noticed that he said he had talked to the trouble makers to no avail. And would`nt trapping the offenders dogs be illegal also? So chill out and dont have that third cup of coffee. :shock:
bullet maker

Offline jhm

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2003, 04:53:49 AM »
I had a neighbor at one time who had a dog that we caught chasing the ducks we had purchased for one of the front pasture ponds ( kinda looked real nice with the ducks there) well I caught the dog chasing a duck after he killed one of the ducks, I went to the neighbor and told him his dog had just killed one of my ducks and was chasing another, his responce was that the dog had turned up as a stray at his house and it was just as much as my dog as his, I said ok and left one shot later and I had shot MY HALF of the dog I went back to neighbor and told him that I shot my half of the dog and the problem was solved, you should have seen the look on his face, and yes all of this took place on my property not his and he no longer lives in this area either, sometime you have to do what ever it takes to protect your property, if you let people walk on you they will and they will cut fences, leave gates open, throw trash on the ground, etc, etc,  look into the law a little closer I cant believe you dont have a legal right to have your property as your own and if were not talking a vary large piece of property run a electric fence close to the ground that will invite the dogs to go else where. :D    JIM

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2003, 11:36:24 AM »
state law hell, killing a domestic animal without the permission of the owner is a felony (class c i believe).    
one option i liked was to trap them and then take to the pound.  
   as far as killing them;   if you do dont get caught.  
 if you believe the dogs to be  threat to you or your family, you are within your rights to shoot them.  
  if it were me, i would sit down with local law enforment and express your concerns over tht safety of your family.  be geniune, and serious; and calm.  file a few formal complaints so if it ever comes to it you have documentation of your concerns.  and then if it persists (sounds like you have done 2/3 s of this) defend yours.   and it dont hurt not to advertise incidents.   hell, wolves kill a bunch of dogs around here every years, and bears take some too.   who is to say what happened to them?  
i hope you find a good resolution to your problem.  and i admire you not wanting to start killing right out of the gate.

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
reclaim your hunting land
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2003, 01:20:35 PM »
Yes bullet maker i do own some property.  A 17 acre patch of woods behind my house. Yes there are deer living in the woods. Yes there are 2 dogs that sometimes run in the woods. If i'm in a bad mood and they come in the field behind the house i shoot off a couple rounds. If i'm in a good mood i tell my wife those darn dogs are out there again. I guess i should have just kept quiet. I own 8 dogs and i like them more than i do most people.

bobg

Offline Myk

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2003, 12:21:27 AM »
http://www.dgif.state.va.us/hunting/regs/section6.html

"Following & Retrieving Hunting Dogs:

When the chase begins on other lands, fox hunters and coon hunters may follow their dogs on prohibited lands, and hunters of all other game, when the chase begins on other lands, may go upon prohibited lands to retrieve their dogs, but may not carry firearms or bows and arrows on their persons or hunt any game while thereon. The use of vehicles to retrieve dogs on prohibited lands shall be allowed only with the permission of the landowner or his agent."

Offline willis5

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2003, 02:48:31 AM »
nowadays I would shoot a dog as a last resort only. you don't  want to be shooting Billy Bobs favorite deer dog cause he might seek some compensation... Lawsuit may make him feel better, but vandalizing your property or shooting your animals might make him feel better, too.

Make a bigger stink at the local office of athority... make a little donation... only shoot if the dog poses a "threat".
Cheers,
Willis5

Offline Chuck from arkansaw

• Avid Poster
Become an animal rights activist and stray rescuer...
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2003, 06:27:53 PM »
Place an editorial letter in the local paper about bad people who dump strays in the country and about how you are trying to find them good homes.  This sets you up as the good guy.

Electrified fence is very cheap.  Fence the whole area. Turn the fence on AFTER the dogs are inside the fence. You have now trapped the lot.  Haul them to the pound.  This could be very costly to the owner, and perfectly legal, as you are only rescuing LOST dogs.

As an alternative, pen them up and place a HUNTING DOGS FOUND add in the paper.  INVITE folks to come by claim their lost pet or adopt an abandoned doggie.  Lots of folks will show up to claim FREE deer dogs.  It could scatter the pack to the winds.

If the dogs have collars and owners name, call owner and tell him his dogs strayed onto your property and you will only charge a nominal fee for boarding them till he comes to get them (Make the call about 3:00 A.M.)  You could raise your price each time it happened, and he will go nuts trying to figure out how you are catching all of these dogs.

I if you are of a more vindictive nature tell him they killed a litter of your prize blue ribbon jackalope pups, or pea hens, or roller penguins, whatever, and if he wants them back he will have to pay damages. Have a pile of road kill handy and sob over your poor murdered pets.  

In other words, he is making you miserable without even thinking about it, just imagine how miserable you can make him if you really try.

Chuck (don't piss me off) from arkansaw