Author Topic: boresighter  (Read 290 times)

Offline teddybaham

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
boresighter
« on: January 06, 2010, 02:59:46 PM »
well i see all these things about not cleaning your barrel from the muzzle youll screw the crown, then dont clean it from the breach it youll destroy the lands, what i dont understand is how softbrass will damage steel anyways. copper and brass are about the same why dont the bullet jumping to the lands @50,000 psi destroy it? any way my qustion is, will a boresighter do any damage to the rifleing, or bore thanks
what part of "shall not be infringed" dont you understand???

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
Re: boresighter
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 03:35:35 PM »
I've got a simple answer......don't clean it.....really.  At least not very often.  If accuracy goes down hill, clean, but not too seriously.  My criteria is pop it open, look down the bore.....can ya see daylight.....shoot.  I'm 68 and haven't had the opportunity to wear out a barrel either cleaning or shooting.  Of course, ya gotta remember I'm lazy and would never wear it out cleaning.  Most rifles seem to shoot best with at least a somewhat fouled bore.  Look at it this way....the first shot'll take out most of the crud, the second'll take out some more.  Don't let it lay around and get pitted, but don't wear it out cleaning.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: boresighter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 03:45:02 PM »
well i see all these things about not cleaning your barrel from the muzzle youll screw the crown, then dont clean it from the breach it youll destroy the lands, what i dont understand is how softbrass will damage steel anyways. copper and brass are about the same why dont the bullet jumping to the lands @50,000 psi destroy it? any way my qustion is, will a boresighter do any damage to the rifleing, or bore thanks

It's not the rod itself that causes the most damage, it's the carbon in the bore that gets on rod, use of the bore sighter will be done in a clean bore and with care.

Concerning use of a rod in the muzzle, I've seen all of the rifling removed from the muzzle of a TC Hawken just from the use of a fiberglass ramrod, the muzzle looked like a smoothbore! So just because brass is softer than steel doesn't mean it won't cause wear. Just  use a muzzleguard on the rod or a bore guide to clean from the chamber end of a Handi.  ;)

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain