Author Topic: My 38-55 Custom Target Model  (Read 623 times)

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
My 38-55 Custom Target Model
« on: January 08, 2010, 09:58:13 AM »
Hi to all. Ive been visiting for a short while and just registered up. I'll try to get pics soon.
I have messed about with H&Rs since about '04 and quite a few other single shots too. I like having a good, reliable, 'Q ship' to take to a fun shoot or match that works well but didnt cost a fortune. I really like traditional sgl. shots, and used the Target Model 'as was'' for awhile, but with it and a Handi .22Hornet, then a .22WMR Ultra Varmint I ended up doing a little stock swapping to suit 'my notions'.
At this point the .22 mag wears a short forestock (better proportions to the 22" barrel) from a 'youth' 20ga. and the Handi, plain comb/solid b-plate stock for nice handling & usability.
Prior to this I had the Target Classic wood on it. A nice traditional look but the forearm is too long (anybody know if the new 45LC model forearm has the same mounting lug position?).
And now for the 'topic' custom:
With that Ultra Varmint cinnamon stock just laying around I put it on the 38-55. What a change! the extra weight of the laminated wood and the recoil pad improved the handling and balance for me. The long heavy barrel hangs nicely 'out there' and looks great. I used an old 1" Weaver K-3 and I can now see again. Peeps look great, but if you cant see it, you cant hit it. A more 'target looking' scope would complete the 'look' but I doubt would work any better. I should really be able to wring out the accuracy of the old cartridge now.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Jon in TN

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
Re: My 38-55 Custom Target Model
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 10:29:21 AM »
WELCOME!

I can't wait to see the pics...

Offline GrampaMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 11:48:19 AM »
gcrank1: What bullets do you shoot in your 38-55?  I shoot only Beartooth 265 grain FNgc hard cast with a diameter of .380".  I tried both .379" and .380", but the .380"s shot best with every load I tried.  I think most of the H&R Target 38-55 Winchesters owned here slugged out about .379", both of mine slugged at .3795".  Have a lot of load data on this bullet, but no others.  Thanks, Mike
Grampa Mike
U.S. Army Retired

"Say what you mean, mean what you say"
Father of 2 GREAT sons, and 9 grandchildren.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 12:55:27 PM »
A nice traditional look but the forearm is too long (anybody know if the new 45LC model forearm has the same mounting lug position?).

welcome!  The BC carbine forend is available, it's listed on the retail parts page of the FAQs and Help sticky, a great resource for H&R fans. ALL H&R single shot forends and stocks are interchangeable except a few forends on shotguns.  Another option is the Topper Deluxe Classic stock and/or forend, I have it on my 405 Winchester Target, here are pics with the TDC and BC forends. Also a pic with it in a gray lam monte carlo set which I moved to my 338-06 Ultra.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 03:20:25 PM »
After some years of messing about with other single shots it is kind of a relief to be able to quickly, and reasonably, swap over wood for a different look, add a scope without sending out to D/T, etc.
The others have also become sooo expensive that a lot of regular folks just cant afford to break into the game. I sure do like the looks and handling of the longer barrels with any of the stocks, though I have heard all the stories about the short, stiffer barrels being better.

Regarding bullets, so far I have some 245gr. Alpha FN in a Lyman #2 equiv. alloy at .379 and some as cast Lee 255gr. WWt pan lubed that go about .381. The .379s load up into my fireformed 30-30 brass fine and I seat out to the rifling (ie, longer than 'book'). These eject without trouble. Not so with the Lee bullet. It can be hard to chamber and sticky to eject. I think these case necks could take a .380 sized bullet and work OK, but I have none that size to try yet. My normal methodology is to use as large a dia. bullet as comfortably fits a fully fire-formed case neck. On a previous H&R I used the WW 38-55 brass but had to neck turn all to work in the too small chamber neck. This time I decided to use the shorter 30-30 cases which do not intrude as far up the chamber taper, thus avoid some of the resulting constriction. This is looking promising but, lacking good weather for decent target trials here in WI, I have yet to prove it. At my 9" gong at 50yd, though, I have  a nice 1 1/2", 4shot casual group from a cold deck rail rest.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 06:10:48 PM »
Sounds like yours could benefit from neck reaming with a .400" neck reamer to take full benefit of longer brass. My 38-55 Target is a 2007 extractor model(last year of production) with a decent chamber and .379" bore, it shoots .379" jacketed excellent in Starline long brass loaded to 375Win velocities with Rl7, 220gr jacketed at 2385fps. The only cast bullet I've shot so far is a .380"  330gr Sheycast with gas checks at 1800fps, they weren't as accurate as the jacketed, but were still acceptable, both shot at 100yds.

Tim

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 02:00:40 AM »
I know the 'conventional wisdom' is to use brass as long as the chamber will take and seat to the rifling. Usually good advise, but in the interest of 'dancing with who ya brung' I thought I would see what could be accomplished with simple solutions (Yes, I have been known to re-invent the wheel). Acceptable accuracy is different things to different people. As a confirmed cast bullet shooter I have options that others may not, yet I do find your HV jacketed (and the GC lead) loads interesting. I did think that the rifle could handle such and you have confirmed it.
I tend to stay in the plain base camp @ subsonic (for light, cheap fun) up to about 1250fps (emulates most of the old classic cart. velo's) with a HV of maybe 1400-1450 utilizing IMR 4227 powder (because it works well for this & I have it).
If that reamer were 'close' I would be very tempted. I just cant bring myself to send off a rifle, or even barrel, with the loss/damage possibilities today. Using my telescoping guage at a 2.10 depth I get a chamber neck ID of .396". That reamer would only take out another .002 on a side, an easy hand turn job. Is it a replacable pilot type for different bore sizes? What about concentric support at the rear? Is the throat cutting area a 'cast bullet type'?
I think it was Mann, a hundred years ago (and others) who advocated using a relatively soft lead BORE size bullet. I use such in my Parker Hale .451 Volunteer muzzle loading long range rifle to good effect.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 06:21:00 AM »
4D's reamer has a solid pilot, many members here have done theirs by hand.

I've rechambered several H&Rs by hand with excellent results,  30-30AI, 270AI, 460S&W, 357Max, 445Supermag, , most reamers had solid pilots, only one that I recollect had a floating pilot, they both worked, there are many, many members here that have rechambered their 357mags to 357Max, straight wall chamberings are very easy to do, see the 357Max reamer sticky.  ;)

Tim

http://4-dproducts.com/displayitem.php?rowid=441&tname=rental