Author Topic: How many inch pounds for scope ring screws?  (Read 2711 times)

Offline wallacem

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
How many inch pounds for scope ring screws?
« on: January 09, 2010, 08:40:27 AM »
Does anyone know how many inch pounds of torque needed for scope ring screws?  Thanks,  Wallacem

Offline mattmillerrx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: How many inch pounds for scope ring screws?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 10:45:32 AM »
I have been doing 10 on aluminum.  Much more than that I have stripped them.  On steel I have been doing 15 with no problems.  I have not had anything come loose since I got the little fat driver.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 11:02:51 AM »
25 in/pounds. Warne makes a torque wrench sold at a very reasonable price to tighten to this spec. I have one and use it on all scope ring screws.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline wallacem

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 11:10:48 AM »
Thanks, I have an adjustable one, just bought it, have just tightened them as tight as possible for 40 years, trying to change.  Wallacem

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 11:35:28 AM »
Yup I kinda sorta did that too until buying the Warne wrench. Yeah I broke a few and stripped few in my day.  :-\

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 12:40:11 PM »
From Leupold...

http://www2.leupold.com/resources/MyInfo81/Answerbook/AnswerbookPage.aspx?AnswerbookPageId=6afe62f0-e18d-46fd-a1ac-403bcd15d9ff

What amount of toque do I use on the ring screws?

We recommend that you use 29 inch pounds maximum on the Ring screws to properly secure the scope in the rings.

http://www2.leupold.com/resources/MyInfo81/Answerbook/AnswerbookPage.aspx?AnswerbookPageId=580b77e3-ee48-4e74-873a-d9222cbd9c12

What is the torque spec for the Rifleman ring keeper screw?

The torque specification for the Rifleman ring keeper screw is 14 inch pounds ( ± 2 in. lb. ).

http://www2.leupold.com/resources/MyInfo81/Answerbook/AnswerbookPage.aspx?AnswerbookPageId=55e3aa84-e1da-4853-a889-a9a75d66b278

What is the Proper Amount of Torque for Torx Screws?

The tightening of Torx screws on Leupold products is not best explained in terms of inch pounds or any other torque measurement. Specific torque measurements are generally only found on items that are both under the control of the same manufacturer, as in the case of the Leupold Mark 4 ring cross bolt, for which 65 inch pounds are recommended for proper installation. In cases where Leupold screws are being installed into other manufacturers products, as is the case with all firearms, we advise that screws be tightened until secure. This is always best done by feel; if the screw feels securely snug, it generally is.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 04:59:23 AM »
Can a base be over tightened against a receiver?  I'm in the habit of tightening them as tight as possible.  I now have a torque wrench.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 05:57:07 AM »
I use 24 in/lbs for 6-48 screws and have never had a problem, using a thread locker like purple Loctite is likely the most important thing to do on base screws.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline john keyes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 06:36:15 AM »
a noob question if you don't mind guys... the big windage screws on the rear base:
are they just used to align the scope parallel to the axis of the barrel and stock so it is straight or do some people actually use those for windage adjustments...
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline wallacem

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 06:54:00 AM »
My thought is that it is designed to get as close to centered as possible with the eye, and if the scope does not have enough adjustment, change the base to give more.  My opinion,  Wallacem

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 11:29:03 AM »
I absolutely REFUSE to use such windage adjustable bases on my firearms unless that is the ONLY type base available. It is the weakest possible configuration you can use and those screws do come loose and do change POI when they do. I lost a nice buck that way ONCE. It will never happen to me again cuz I refuse to use those silly bases. If you need help with adjustment beyond what the scope gives you use Burris Signature Rings and offset inserts.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125