Author Topic: Loading for My Model 94, 30-30  (Read 338 times)

Offline Mckie Hollow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Loading for My Model 94, 30-30
« on: January 10, 2010, 04:13:54 AM »
I'm looking to reload for this rifle/cartridge. Most of my reloading equip. is RCBS. I'm looking for advise on dies,powder,bullets. The use will be some open sight shooting @ paper and a backup deer load. I want to keep this simple.
For powder, I have RL10X & 15, H335, IMR 3031 & 4320. I'm thinking of using the Horn. 150gr. RN.. I need dies, so I'm thinking RCBS full length & seater and the Lee crimp, or just the Lee Pacesetter set?? Never used Lee dies. Are they a good die?  I will also go with the Lee trimmer gauge.

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
Re: Loading for My Model 94, 30-30
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 04:53:36 AM »
Lee dies are good.  I've got a set of them, as well as a set of RCBS that I load 30-30 ammo with.  The Pacesetter set is pretty complete, including a shell holder and the factory crimp die. As for powder, you may want to check the loading manuals for data.  If you've not yet bought a loading manual, the Lyman reloading handbook is a good one to start with.  Lots of 30-30 ammo has been loaded with 3031 powder by lots of people over the years. 

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 07:25:12 PM »
I use RCBS dies for 30-30 and the Lee Factory Crimp die. REALLY like the lee crimp die. Got my RCBS dies back before Lee made them. I have Lee dies in 7.62x39 and 40 S&W and they work fine. You might just want to get the complete Lee die set. I tend to switch dies in and out a lot and for that I don't like the Lee lock rings with the rubber O ring for dies other than the crimp die (its handy on the crimp die). They work fine if you leave them set in a press or die plate. I usually buy some other brand of lock ring and replace the ones that come on the Lee dies - might be one reason to get some other brand. Oh I have a Hornady sizer stem in those RCBS dies. I really like the elliptical neck button Hornady uses. This is what happens when one loads for a long time - you might start tweaking things. I think Hornady dies are good too.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline shot1

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 02:04:16 AM »
I worked up an accurate load for my cousin's 30-30 that is very accurate and he has killed deer with it and says it does great. Rem. case, Rem 9 1/2 primers, 150 gr Hornady RNSP, 31.8 grs. Accurate Arms 2230 . This powder load comes from the 4th ed. Sierra loading manual as their suggested hunting load.

Lee dies will do you fine. I have used about every make die in the 30+ years that I have been loading. I can load just as accurate ammo with Lee dies as I can with any of the others.