Author Topic: scope damage from lead sled  (Read 1689 times)

Offline billd

• Trade Count: (0)
scope damage from lead sled
« on: January 10, 2010, 11:09:52 AM »
went to gun show today, guy at one of the tables says that i could ruin a nikon scope by using it to sight in my 20g slug gun. he said it could because the gun scope was taking all the recoil. has anyone had this problem?   thanks billd

Offline zackyholdem

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
Re: scope damage from lead sled
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 06:05:09 PM »
never heard about it on a 20 gauge, but i have heard about it happening with 12 gauge magnum loads, the scopes dont have any room to move back or forward so they have to abosrb 100% of the recoil.
When freedom shivers in the cold shadow of true peril, Its always the patriots who first hear the call. - Charlton Heston

Handi's -30-06, 223 Ultra, 7mm-08, 44 mag, 45-70, 17hmr, Tracker II 12ga, Pardner 10ga (2)12ga's and .410

Offline mbopp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 04:40:09 AM »
I've heard of scope and stock damage from shooting magnum rifles with the sled loaded with 100# of shot. Again, the gun takes all the recoil.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government, lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." -- Patrick Henry, American Patriot

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 04:55:50 AM »
I've heard of stocks often cracking from using the lead sled.  I've talked to a gunsmith that told me that it happens quite often.  It only makes sense.  Without a soft shoulder there, something has to give.

I've never understood the use of one of those anyway.  I can understand the use of a bench rest for temporary sighting in but when it comes down to it, you don't have one of these things in the field so why even bother?  Just rest the front and back on a bag, shoulder it up and shoot like a shooter, not a machine!  ...but that's just me I guess. 
I so often see guys at the range shooting over and over and over in one of these "carriages".  It makes me wonder if they're using it to eliminate the felt recoil altogether from the rifle they're using as opposed to sighting it in.  I mean, c'mon, it can't take THAT long to get zeroed in!  (unless one doesn't know how to mount a scope...but that's another subject)