Author Topic: dented cases  (Read 305 times)

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
dented cases
« on: January 14, 2010, 03:34:00 AM »
Ok I admit I seldom load lead rifle bullets . Due to cost I have decided to try them in a 30-30 . A few years back I tried a few and it worked well but thing got busy and that was it for some time as I had less time to shoot .
 Well i got some pre lubed bullets , settled on a load and got to work . They looked good if i do say so myself. Being as this was the first batch and my expander plug has not arrived , standard 30-30 dies were used and that ever so slight sliver of lead was pealed off with a fingernail .
 Well they shot good but i noticed a dent running around the empty case as i ejected a case. I checked and all four that were fired were the same . So i fired a factory load and the case had a - yep a sliver of lead embeded in the case that looked like all the rest . The next shot had no dent in the fired case . Yep will wait until expander gets here to finish out the loading .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
Re: dented cases
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 07:46:17 AM »
WOW, that's a new one on me! Thanks for sharing. Is you new expander plug tapered, say like the 357Mag expander? I'm not familiar with those in the rifle dies.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 08:13:32 AM »
It is explained as a 2 stage expander to bell mouth for easy loading of lead bullets . Which sounds like what you said on the second stage . It will be the first time i have used one .
 As a side i get 500 165 gr lead bullets lubed and sized for around $60.00 shipped to my door . I have 2 bags of a 100 each i got several years ago for $4.99 each . i pay $22.00 for 100 -125 gr sierra FPHP for the 30-30 and they are the least expensive around here others are hard to get and cost more . So to shoot with out breaking the bank i am trying the lead bullets . Thinking about small game with the 30-30 loaded down a wee bit. I am trying 17 gr. of IMR 4227 . I have heard 6-7 grs. of unique is a good load for small stuff .
 Will post how it all works out if anyone is interested .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 08:37:33 AM »
Looking forward to your reports!

A bunch of years ago I was in between wives and out of work, living in a camper on the desert. I had a 100 yard target set up in a canyon that I could shoot out the door of the camper, keeping me out of that Wyoming wind. I went through a lot of powders (Bullseye, Green Dot, PB, Unique, 2400, 4227, 4198, H335) in my 94Winchester 32Spl and cast bullets I made from wheelweights. I could shoot them without gas checks up to around 1300fps(book velocity) with accuracy approaching 2MOA, and some close to MOA. It was a blast!

With gaschecks? I shot a cow elk with a bunch of H335 pushing that 183gr FPGC at something over 2300fps. It worked. I also shot some mule deer and antelope with the same load. The 2nd shot was never needed, and no tracking.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater