Author Topic: Elecronic scale? Should I???  (Read 839 times)

Offline Alan4620

• Trade Count: (4)
Elecronic scale? Should I???
« on: January 24, 2010, 03:30:09 PM »
Guys
I think I want an electronic scale.Which one is best,and which one to stay away from?
All info is appriciated.

And i don't want to mortage the farm to buy it either.

Alan4620

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
Re: Elecronic scale? Should I???
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 04:53:32 PM »
check out the new hornady trickler or the lyman scale/dispenser. they arent cheap but once you go to it you wont ever go back to the old see-saw scale.
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline bigswede

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 05:22:58 PM »
I use an RCBS, rangemaster 750, I believe thats what I have.  Anyway, I absolutely love it.  I don't have the dispenser model, just scale.  It has cut my powder measuring time by half or better I would say.  Go get one and don't look back.
"LIVE TO HUNT, HUNT TO LIVE"

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 12:53:48 AM »
can you use a trickle charger with the 750,because i was thinking also of going electronic,thanks

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 01:17:13 AM »
ive got a pact scale and a lyman chargemaster and there both good units.
blue lives matter

Offline crawford769

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 09:17:22 AM »
the rcbs loadmaster 1500 scale dispenser is a reloading tool i would never go without again.   it doesnt wander like some scales are said to.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 10:23:53 AM »
I use a pact scale....buy one...good investment!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 10:56:40 AM »
I will never use other than a digital again unless the grid shuts down. I do still have a balance beam I could use in that situation. I have a really old RCBS branded PACT that's still going strong.

I have a Lyman DPS 1200 that some member on here burned me on badly. I sure wish I could remember who burned me on that one so I could put appropriate feedback on them. I paid not a great deal short of what Midsouth was selling them for new for it on the promise it was as new. It came with no manual so it sat quite a long time before I was able to come up with a manual. I wasn't smart enough to figure it out without a manual.

First time I used it to load a few rounds it seemed OK. The very next time it failed to work and hasn't since. I got one use from a $200+ investment. Lyman has no warranty and charges an arm and a leg to fix anything if if brand new and not working. It sits waiting to see if Matt can fix it assuming he ever gets around to trying.

I'd not buy a Lyman again if it cost only one third of what the rest cost cuz they don't stand behind their products and clearly there are problems with their unit that you might or might not see.

I really like the looks of the new Hornady scale/dispenser and hope to get one from them this year when they begin shipping them. RCBS stands behind their products as does PACT who I suspect makes a lot of them for the other folks who really aren't in the business of manufacturing them but merely sell them badged with their name.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Old English

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 02:43:59 AM »
I have had the RCBS for over a year and it is a fantastic machine. I have had zero problems with it and it makes reloading so much less of a chore, speeds things up too.
The only downside is changing powders where you have to clean it out. Buy one and load a bunch of cartridges with the same powder. Then clean it out and load another. You will not regret buying one.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 03:53:45 AM »
If your looking for just a scale, the Hornady or RCBS work just fine. There is one or 2 that sell real cheap,$30-$40. Absoulute junk. If it's just the scale you want, be prepared to spend around $100 or better. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline jlchucker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 06:27:46 AM »
If your looking for just a scale, the Hornady or RCBS work just fine. There is one or 2 that sell real cheap,$30-$40. Absoulute junk. If it's just the scale you want, be prepared to spend around $100 or better. gypsyman

That reminds me of an old saying that goes something like "I'm a working man.  I can't afford a cheap tool".   You get what you pay for, most of the time.

Offline roper

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 12:12:55 PM »
I'd got an RCBS 750 elecrontic scale when they first came out took about 11yrs before it finally quit used my back up RCBS beam scale 10-10 till I found a replacement.  Got the RCBS 1500 scale and it's a pretty nice but since I had to go back to the beam scale don't use the 1500 as much.

Offline bigswede

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 12:17:24 AM »
can you use a trickle charger with the 750,because i was thinking also of going electronic,thanks
Yes, but it takes some doing.  My trickler, wasn't tall enough and the spout doesn't stick out far enough so i had to make a little step for it. I made it out of 2" flat bar, and drilled a hole in the base so I can mount it on my little bench when I need it.  With my step, my trickler now sits right over the pan on my scale :D
"LIVE TO HUNT, HUNT TO LIVE"

Offline Dezynco

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 05:35:57 AM »
Like someone else said, if you just want a scale, get a good one.  Be prepared to spring $80 to $150 for one, otherwise just stick with the old balance beam.  Those little $30-$40 scales are usually junk.  I have a Dillon that was old when I got it, and I've been using it for 3 years now without a hitch.

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 07:47:24 AM »
Well, I tried out a friends older RCBS scale one time and it about put me away from the electronic scales for good.

However, I do think this was an issue with that scale.

It just would not hold zero, and was extremely sensitive to things like air movement.

That is probably why my friend was willing to let me take his scale home for a trial. He didn't use it.

But, after asking around here at GB, I finally did make the plunge with a PACT which works fine!

As already said, you do get what you pay for.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag