Author Topic: moly coating  (Read 280 times)

Offline damascus-doug

• Trade Count: (3)
moly coating
« on: January 17, 2010, 04:55:56 PM »
Anybody molykote their own bullets?

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: moly coating
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 05:26:30 AM »
  I USED to do this . I found I am to lazy to put the effort into it. I did NOT find any of the claimed benefits of molying MY bullets. It took several hours to moly/wax coat the bullets. Then there was the cleaning problems getting the layers of moly, powder residue and bullet fouling out of the bore. I had to ADD some powder to regain the lost FPS and rework the loads to refine the accuracy. I even tried moly on cast bullets. I did NOT try MS MOLY spray though. I can't see how spraying the nose of a bullet could be of ANY use when the base ( that part INSIDE the case) is where the bullet rides in the grooves. Seating and pulling several bullets showed that little of the moly stayed on the bullet  BUT HEY< don't let my findings prevent YOU from trying. I'd just use the $$ for molying to buy additional components.!

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: moly coating
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 07:30:07 AM »
I used to do it for a .17 Rem. not hard to do. The thing is I got molly build up in the barrel and the only way I was able to get it out was to fire lap the barrel. I`ll never shoot molly coated bullets in any of my guns again.