Author Topic: 20 guage smooth bore  (Read 876 times)

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
20 guage smooth bore
« on: January 19, 2010, 06:30:07 AM »
Guys

I dug out my first turkey gun yesterday. It is an old!!!!!! single shot 20 ga. It has the slide type break on it (the one that you push over instead of down). I went squirrel hunting with it yesterday and it was kinda like deja vu! Only problem is that I crossed some deer and only had one 3 in #2 buckshot with me. I remember this gun shooting slugs well, but there are so many new kinds out there now. Are buckhammers the best cheap slug? or what?

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: 20 guage smooth bore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 06:36:27 AM »
Buckhammers are very good but before you spend the extra money try some Remington standard velocity 2 3/4" sluggers, if they are not accurate in your gun try some of the same in Winchester and Federal. One of them should shoot well for you for about $3 or less on sale for 5 slugs....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Daman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 06:39:14 AM »
Thanks

I am not looking for 2" @ 100 yds. I am looking for minute of deer shoulder at 35 yards!!!! So cheap is good.

I have 300 yd rifles for tack drivers.

Daman

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 08:14:25 AM »
Daman,

My rabbit hunting buddy, Sayes we have come full circle, because we're using the Single Shot Shotguns we started out with! I have some nice O/U in the safe, but the Pardner Shorty is the one I use all the time now. The TDC hasn't been out in two years!

Froghunter
"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 08:18:37 AM »
The cheap fosters slugs work great at the ranges you are talking about.The deer in my avatar was taken with a Remington slugger at about 15 yds. Never took another step.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline Daman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 08:43:45 AM »
FLNT4EVR

That is what I am looking for. I love the single shot action (rifle or shotgun)! I just need the versatility to be able to take a hog or deer at a minimal distance when squirrel hunting. I do most of my squirrel hunting from a sitting and waiting point of view. I hunker down in a bush in an oak bottom and wait for them to come my way. But when I hunt with someone else we generally are going to tell hunting stories and laugh and joke anyway so we walk around and sometimes stumble up on a deer or hog bedded down hoping we will pass them by (No way that is happening now!)

Daman

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 09:03:40 AM »
your 20 gauge with the forster slug it likes best is well up to minute of paper plate (deer kill zone) at 50-60 yards with just the bead. You have what you need, have fun....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline gwhilikerz

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 10:24:02 AM »
I have been using my 20 ga. shorty for several deer seasons now. I have lost count but I think it is either 10 or 12 deer, all one shot, all under 50 yds, and no misses. It may be the least expensive gun I own but it is definitely the most fun. I have found Remington Sluggers shoot very well for me. My Grandson uses a Handi 243 but he wants me to "build
 him a shorty like mine.

Offline Daman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 11:35:22 AM »
I am seriously considering the Winchester Power Points that are designed for smooth bores. I think they are like $4 for 5 or something like that.

Daman

Offline matthew_h

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 12:51:34 PM »
the power points shot well in my 12 gauge cylinder bore maverick 88 . when i had a set of irons on the cut down 20 inch barrel 50 yard groups were impressive with 3 shots touching and only requiring 2 sight in shots . i have moved on to a muzzle loader but slugs work just fine .

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 12:26:31 PM »
Years back I disected the Win, Fed and Rem foster slug loads and found the Win. (which shot best in mine, 3"@ 50yd, point of aim) were also the biggest dia. slug. Dont know if that is still so, but it worked then.
I'd try those offerings first and see what I got for 1st shot hits from a cold barrel before buying the higher priced fancy stuff.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Daman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 12:29:16 PM »
gcrank1

Thanks I will get a five box of each and try them out.

Daman