Author Topic: FL FWC Youth Hunt, East Orange County, January 22 thru 24, 2010  (Read 348 times)

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
FL FWC Youth Hunt, East Orange County, January 22 thru 24, 2010
« on: January 25, 2010, 10:29:09 AM »
I spent the weekend camping with my 14 y.o. at a FWC sponsored Youth Hunt in East Orlando.  I am gladdened by the benevolence of the 555-acre Land Owner and Land Manager for offering four (4) doe tags (one each) to the three boys and girl, for the Volunteer Guides and HuntMaster, and for the participation of the wildlife in windy conditions that I ordinarily would not hunt at my own place.  Josh had fun with the other kids.  

I was saddened a bit that Josh shot poorly at 75 yards with the 150 grain Core-Loc Remington Factory Ammo that didn't like my Model 70 Win. 270 Classic Featherweight's whippy barrel.  He gut shot a BIG doe on Saturday evening.  The Land Manager's cattle dog went in after dark and got on the still live doe, which we then had to retrieve both doe and dog from thick, thorny, wet stuff of a swamp.  

"Lacy" left her deep indent bite marks on the rear ham of the doe, which she was trying to eat alive as the doe was trying to get away.  The doe took two more 380 Auto shots to the head to subdue it from the retired Sherrif and his pistol [I liked him immeasurably].  

I won't ever forget the Land Manager's words at hearing the dog yip only once, "Go ahead in there and get your deer."  He knew EXACTLY how his dog would react at finding a wounded deer and his dog had NO PROBLEM finding that doe.  We got her out and in the cooler.  The weekend was a success.