Author Topic: Corroding problem on clean bullets.  (Read 1206 times)

Offline Donna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
Corroding problem on clean bullets.
« on: October 22, 2003, 05:38:15 PM »
Hello talon and some of you older timers, :D

I didn’t have this problem with my .45 bullets but then I wiped each bullet clean of lub with a rag. But now I’m running off so many bullets in .224 caliber that I don’t have time to wipe them each, so I decided to run them through Simple Green, a degreaser. It has only been a month and some of the bullets I have left are turning kind of like a really bad tarnish but 10 times worse.  :cry: I also did not dip these bullets either. I’ve never ran into this problem before. What would the prevention be? I’m thinking of leaving a trace amount of lub on them or dipping them in a diluted solution of acrylic floor wax and lightly buffing them on a clean rag. Any thoughts?

Donna :wink:
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline bullet maker

• A Real Regular
cleaning bullets
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2003, 12:53:29 AM »
Hi Donna :D
   I don`t know about anybody else, but I wash all my bullets, in water and spic and span liquid dish washer liquid. That gets all the grease off. Then when they are dried, I polish them in my tumbler, and get a nice shine on them.
bullet maker :D
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.

Offline Donna

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2003, 03:10:56 AM »
Hello bullet maker, :D

Ya, I tried that tumbler, really a vibrator, bit too just to see what would happen, and they sunk to the bottom. You know, they played that gold trick and I figured not much was happening, they don’t rotate like cartridge cases, besides the bullets are shinny to start with.

"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2003, 11:41:27 AM »
Corbin swage lube is water soluable. Warm water and mild soap speeds the process in cleaning it off the bullets. I also use a rotating tumbler w/corn cob media if the jackets were annealed/core bonded. They come out of the tumbler clean and dry, and that's they way they go into the box, after a light dusting down. That "Simple Green" sounds like it has ammonia in it. Doesn't that EAT brass, and a few other things?  8)

Offline Donna

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2003, 12:15:11 AM »
:D

Yes, ammonia Does EAT brass, copper, and other things but "Simple Green" does not smell like it has ammonia in it. And of course it doesn’t give the ingredients on the container. You mentioned a light dusting down, what do you use as your dusting?

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2003, 03:52:08 AM »
Donna, I went to Google and looked up the Material Data Safety Sheet for "Simple Green". I saw that it had a  PH of 9.5, and  that the test on electrical wire was made with the wire in its plastic sheeth. There was also a statement that a mild wash of plain water AFTER use would nutralize further 'degreasing action'. When you said that you did not dip your bullets did you mean that you didn't wash them afterwards? The 'tarnish' you observed could be nothing more than dried up 'Simple Green'. Does it wipe off easily?[P] As to my " dusting off", I ment that when the bullets come out of the tumbling media, they have a lot of dust on them: after a few rolls in a towel (en mass) they are clean, shiney. 8)

Offline Donna

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2003, 11:06:11 AM »
Hello talon, :D

The Material Data Safety Sheet for "Simple Green" was interesting. I wash them in the Simple Green then rinse thoroughly with plane warm water. No, that tarnish stuff does not even polish out, there’s like its part of the metal itself. Your tumbling media, does it have “Rouge”? If your not using Sinclair International tumbling media you might want to give it a try, no mess no fuss and it polishes cases better than anything I ever used.

Offline John Traveler

tarnished bullets
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2003, 12:24:20 PM »
"OLDER TIMERS"???!!!

Donna and all:

Rouge is a mild abrasive, basically a very finely powdered red iron oxide.  It should not cause tarnish like you described.  It should be just the thing for final tumble polishing your swaged jacketed bullets.

Are you using any artificial heat to dry (oven heat) the boolits?  Natural gas exhaust readily discolours polished brass and copper.

The pH 9.5 shows that Simple Green is slightly alkaline (water is a neutral 7.0).  Chemically cleaning polished (freshly swaged bullets) also leaves them open to salt air corrosion.  Since you live in the Bay area, that might be the problem.

HTH
John
John Traveler

Offline Donna

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2003, 06:44:11 PM »
Hello, :D

I remember washing my bullets with soap and water and thinking that they were still oily to the feel. But I just washed a batch of bullets with dish soap and hot water and rinsed well with hot water and dried them with a towel and no oily feel. Go figure. I guess problem is over. Thanks.

Offline russ

• http://smallcalilberbullets.com
Corroding problem on clean bullets
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2003, 06:17:49 PM »
Hello Donna, been awhile since I was here.

Saw you post on the Accurate Reloading forum and the response you got. Give them a little time, they will iron things out there. Don't think they really have a lot of swagers on there yet so they don't know what's going on anyway.

I have found that after polishing, if I am going to store bullets for any length of time, that using WD-40 keeps them from corroding.

russ

Offline Donna

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2003, 07:13:16 PM »
Hello Russ,

Please forgive me but my memory is not always very good but I cannot say that I remember you. BUT, thank you and were glad that you have showen up here again.

Donna

Offline bullet maker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2003, 05:17:09 AM »
Quote from: Donna
Hello, :D

I remember washing my bullets with soap and water and thinking that they were still oily to the feel. But I just washed a batch of bullets with dish soap and hot water and rinsed well with hot water and dried them with a towel and no oily feel. Go figure. I guess problem is over. Thanks.

Spic and Span, that`s the way to go. Like I said in an earlier post to you, I`ve tried them all and some one on this forum or maybe it was another forum, told me about it, and it is super. No greasy feel, it gets them so clean that you almost get friction burn, when you rub your fingers acros them when their dried. Just spic and span and hot water, folowed by hot water rinsing.
bullet maker :D
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.

Offline Donna

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2003, 05:34:59 AM »
Hello bullet maker, :D

I was using Spic and Span but gave it up because of the smell was just to great all at once in it’s non diluted state. But your right it does do a bang up job on them their bullets. I’m thinking that that Simple Green must react some how with the copper. The greatest amount of turning I usually got was right on the tips and then they started working their way back down the bullet. But it was that Simple Green that did it, never had that problem with the Spic and Span. But now I seem to be getting good results with dishwater soap and a nice hot water rinse. Go figure.

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2003, 06:24:44 AM »
Russ, WD-40 is a great product and I use it for many applications, but it's pure death in the field of loaded cartridges. The stuff is so good that it goes right thru the brass and contaminates the powder/primer. Using it on lead may be OK from this aspect... I've no idea if it can penetrate lead like it does brass. But, if a jacket is involved that WD-40 will get in its matrix. Again, if the bullets are wiped befor loading that would help, but I wonder if the oil can migrate thru the molecules to the critridge casing, and then on to the powder? 8)

Offline russ

• http://smallcalilberbullets.com
Guess I'm one of the "old timers"
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2003, 02:43:25 PM »
Donna

I swage 14 and 20 caliber bullets. I make the jackets for the 14 out of .460 17 cal J4's. Now there's an operation for you.

The 20's are rebated boattails, dies are from RCE.

I have 12 Jacketed dies coming! (that's .123.....) Jackets will be made from my 10 grain 14 jackets.

remember me now?

russ