Author Topic: Nipple removal  (Read 2203 times)

Offline pittbull46

• Trade Count: (4)
Nipple removal
« on: January 16, 2010, 07:57:45 AM »
I bought a used san marco 1858 I am trying to take the old nipples out I just broke a new nillpe wrench an they did not budge  can anybody  help? thanks

Offline Fingers McGee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Re: Nipple removal
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 05:11:09 PM »
A variety of solutions.  some work better than others depending on how bad the nipple is siezed:

Better nipple wrench - Possibles shop has a ratcheting wrench with a hardened bit
soak nipples with KROIL
soak nipples with ATF
heat the cylinder
PB blaster
liquid wrench

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee
Man of many Colt's and alter ego of Diabolical Ken
SASS Regulator 28654-L-TG, Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire
Pistoleer/Frontiersman, Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers; Moniteau Creek River Raiders, The Ozark's Posse, Butterfield Trail Cowboys
NRA Endowment Life: NMLRA, GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-115; STORM 327, LASOOS 144, SBSS735

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be."  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Flint

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 09:03:40 PM »
Most of the nipple wrenches on the market are way too soft.  Many shooters are forced to make their own from better steel.

After trying Fingers McGee's suggestions, and if after all that the nipples still won't budge, you will be forced to drill them out.  Don't do that with a standard drill and drill press, if you are at that last resort, after finding the thread involved, use an endmill or carbide drill with the cylinder locked in a mill vise or index head to assure you don't damage the threads.

Do note, however, that a "58" Remington nipple is mounted at an angle, unlike the Colt which is parallel to the bore.  If you are forced to machine it out, you will have to match the angle.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline pittbull46

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 04:41:29 AM »
Thanks for the info I found a site that has a wrench that he said he made and it should work if I can get it made I will let you know

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 05:27:57 AM »
Often just a soak in hot water will loosen up the fouling and they then come out easily. I have found that most of the nipple wrenches on the market are quite soft but they should be adequate if nipples are removed every time after shooting and the threads are greased when reinstalled. I've made better nipple wrenches by just using the cut-off wheel of a dremel tool to cut slots in a small 1/4" drive socket.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline El Gringo

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 08:33:29 AM »
I had 3 of the 6 nipples frozen on my new Pietta Remmy and took a propane torch to them.
Wearing a leather glove in my left hand I hit each nipple (one at a time) for about 4 seconds with the torch and was able to get them freed with the wrench.
After cleaning they got a coat of antisieze on the threads.

My wrench did suffer some and I'll be getting a new one sometime soon. A couple of those nipples were real buggers I tell ya!

Offline bedbugbilly

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 10:13:11 AM »
Sometimes swearing a lot helps - might not get 'em out but you feel a heck of a lot better.   ;D

In addition to some of the penetrating oils, etc. that have been mentioned - I usually keep a small oil bottle full of brake fluid on the bench.  We used to use it on the farm quite a bit to loosen stubborn and rusted threads.  Be careful with what you use though if you decide to follow up with a propane torch and use a little heat - brake fluid and some of the others have a low flash point - you may end up "aging" your revolver a little more than you want to.

Has anyone used the L shaped original type nipple wrenches that some of the dealers carry?  Are they any better than a conventional T type?

If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single one on my right hip is good enough for me.  Besides, I'm probably only half as good as he was anyway . . . . now . . . how do I load this confounded contraption?

Hiram's Rangers - Badge #63

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 02:38:39 AM »
I have used an easy out to remove nipples from my muzzleloader's.

First I put a tooth pick in the hole of the nipple, and pour break free in the cylinder or barrel of a muzzleloader.
Let it soak over night.
Second,  I drain out the break free, then use the appropriate drill bit and then use the easy out, the one that is just a little biggest than the hole in the nipple. I don't go to big so I don't mess up the threads in the cylinder.

If all else fails take it to a gunsmith and let him do it, should not cost much.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 04:07:56 AM »
Now y'all got me worried!   :(  I'm gonna go down and pull the nipples off my revolvers just to make sure I can!   ::)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 09:26:47 AM »
Now y'all got me worried!   :(  I'm gonna go down and pull the nipples off my revolvers just to make sure I can!   ::)

I did it too all mine today also...ha ha... :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Fingers McGee

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 07:17:59 AM »
I have had problems in the past removing nipples from new-in-the-box revolvers.  Whether they were installed by a gorilla; or just froze over time, I can't say.  Once removed, they were cleaned and lubed before reinstalling.  I also remove and clean nipples after every match or shooting session.  Lube the threads with balistol prior to reinstalling and never have any trouble removing them.

FM
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers; Moniteau Creek River Raiders, The Ozark's Posse, Butterfield Trail Cowboys
NRA Endowment Life: NMLRA, GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-115; STORM 327, LASOOS 144, SBSS735

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be."  Ambrose Bierce

Offline pittbull46

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 05:08:41 AM »
Hello Thanks for the help I found a web site with a home made nipple wrench and had my brother make it worked alot better than the store bought ones and the instructions are great here is the site for anybody who can get a lathe deansphotographica.com

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 06:45:36 AM »
Well, I grabbed the nipple wrench I've used on my rifles for years and tried to remove the nipples from my revolvers.  The wrench, one of the T handle types, was to large diameter wise to fit over the nipple in the limited space available on my Navy.   :(

So now I got to get me another wrench.  What's the best one out there?  Or should I just get some round stock and hacksaw a notch in it?   :-\   Now where did I put that book on heat treating...  :P
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline FourBee

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 12:04:08 PM »
Well; I don't know which is the best one AtlLaw, but of the 4 wrenches I got, 2 of 'em broke, and one was too big, the last one came in a package with 6 nipples from Cabelas.  It did the job on those stubborn Pietta Nipples that had been neglected for several years.   After learning that lesson, I remove the nipples after each shooting, and clean'em up.  No more problems.
If you have both a Pietta and Uberti, you may need a wrench for each gun.  ???

4B 
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 06:29:33 AM »
The Ted Cash ratcheting nipple wrench with removable tip is a marked improvement over anything that came before.  They're available from Cabelas now, as well as from The Possibles Shop and other suttlers.  The bit also works it in your mag-tipped screwdriver.

http://www.possibleshop.com/s-s-nipple-wrench.html

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0076777217375a&navCount=3&podId=0076777&parentId=cat20819&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20712-cat20819&catalogCode=IA&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20819&hasJS=true

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 08:12:27 AM »
Looks perfect!   ;D
Uh, which size should I get?  the 10 or 11?   ???  Or do I need both?  Seems strange, one for each cap size...   :-\
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Fingers McGee

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 06:07:46 PM »
I got the 10.  Works on all my Colt style revolvers from Uberti, Pietta, Euroarms.  Of course, most all of them have Treso nipples.  I believe the sizing is #10 for revolvers; #11 for rifles/single shot pistols.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 02:14:45 AM »
I got the one from Cabelas for the Pistol, works great.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline RB1235

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 02:41:43 AM »
I broke mine while trying to get one out of a friend's rifle. We used 1/2 atf and 1/2 acetone for the lube. I got a big vice grip and got it out while locked in a vise. Then touched the flash hole with a torch. Loaded up with a small charge of powder then toughed the hole again. That burnt the oil out.

The next wrench I bought I ran a bead of 6011 around it right when I got it out of the package. I have had to get a  set of channel locks on the wrench and it has held up.

Offline ezwider85

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »
I bought a used san marco 1858 I am trying to take the old nipples out I just broke a new nillpe wrench an they did not budge  can anybody  help? thanks
i would soak it in some pb blaster my buddy unlocked a chain saw by soaking the cylinder for a full day. its pretty good stuff. though a cant say wether it will do any thing to the bluing.