Author Topic: 325gr FTX did not perform  (Read 2777 times)

Offline valvesinmyhead

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
325gr FTX did not perform
« on: November 23, 2009, 01:04:07 PM »
 Bought some factory Hornady 352gr FTX for my 450 Marlin. It was super accurate. 1 1/2" groups at 100yds. I shot a nice 10 point WT. It was a quartering towards me shot at around 125yds. The deer had seen us so I decided to shoot through the leg joint and take out both lungs. The bullet hit right were I aimed and when it hit the buck it sounded like a car wreck. Wham! He took off on a dead run up hill about 600yds into a wash out. With only three legs! Then he just stood there. We watched him for 10 min then he turned so I could see his right side and there was no blood. The bullet did not go into the chest cavity. So I decided to get above him to give him a second shot. Got within 75yds and put one through the lungs. Could see blood pumping out  this time. He still managed to go up another 50ft to the top of the hill then expired 50yrds from the crest.
In the pic you can't see where the first shot took place but it will give you an idea how far up he traveled.
My question is am I expecting to much out of this bullet?

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: 325gr FTX did not perform
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 05:25:02 AM »
You are not expecting too much.  Did you recover the bullet???
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline valvesinmyhead

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 08:55:41 AM »
No I did not. The bullet went through the joint. Then it looks like it was deflected down and to left of direction of travel. The backside of the leg was completely skinned. The only thing holding the leg on were tendons.

Offline Harry Snippe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 11:11:57 AM »
Well
I took about the same shot with my 338 Federal loaded with a 215 Gr. Serria bullet . It took out the joint through a rib mushed the lungs and top off the heart and out through the other side . Deer went about twenty feet .
The last one I shot with a 45/70/ 350 gr. bullet- was half the distance mind you , but went in through the liver into the chest, took out the lungs and out the chest , by the neck. That was about as close to killing a deer and cleaning it at the same time . 
I parted with the guide gun because of the required hold over for different shots .

I have heard from another saying his 308 ME 160 gr. FTX did not perform as expected .

Just Maybe !!!! It might now not be the shooter .

Good to hear results be it good or bad on new products .
Happy
Happy

Offline valvesinmyhead

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 11:46:07 AM »
I guess funny things happen. I seriously thought the bullet would punch through.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 12:26:58 PM »
mmmmmmmmm

And I just bought some of those same bullets for my muzzle loader. Have not tried them yet.  :-\ :(

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 12:35:12 PM »
I don't think the bullet is the problem it was strictly your shot placement. Shooting a leg with the expectation of it going into the chest cavity isn't my idea of proper shot placement and is a sure fire recipe for what you got. Reason the second shot took as long as it did and allowed deer to go that far is that's what such a shot normally does plus he was full of adrenaline by then.

had you aimed a few inches higher you'd like have needed only one shot.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 12:47:45 PM »
Cheese-
I use them in my encore on top of 120 grains blackhorn- shot was a bit forward of what i like though, took out both shoulders, he ran on his back legs about 40 yards. No worries about the bullet, it worked perfectly.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 01:16:44 PM »
Well, I think you're going to have to go up in caliber and velocity.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Varmint Hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 01:43:15 PM »
I took two animals with the 325 Flex bullet launched at 1,800 ft/sec from my T/C ProHunter. The first was a 250lb boar which didn't like all that lead flying through his chest. He did a death run of about 30yds before flopping over. The second was a small buck which was angling away from me at the shot. The fat Flex tip bullet entered just behind the shoulder on the near side and exited just forward of the shoulder on the off side. The buck was slammed to the ground. His tail flipped up and down like a mortally hit groundhog and it was over.

If I was you I'd give the bullet a second chance. However, there are many other good .458 bullets out there. Try a few and see how they shoot in your rifle. I've always like the 350gr Hornady FN bullets and there is something nostalgic about the traditional 405gr FN bullets from Remington. Both shoot pretty good in my rifle.

Offline valvesinmyhead

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 03:39:07 PM »
Thanks Graybeard. Lesson learned.

Varmint hunter  I orginally wanted to use the 350gr FP but they did not shoot worth a darn for me.
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,184766.0.html

Offline JimP.

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 08:26:02 AM »
Barnes makes a semi spitzer bullet for the 45/70 which weighs 300 grs, i have used it in my 45/70 at 2200 fps and it works fine on whitetails, it is one of the original bullets that they still make which has a lead core and a jacket, the bullet comes in a couple of more weights, 350 and 400 gr. I am now using the bullet in my 458 SOCOM and it really works well.  Take a look at this bullet, it will work for you...JimP.

Offline Thebear_78

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 09:17:20 PM »
Barnes makes a 300gr tipped TSX for the 458 designed for the 458 Socom but should work very well in the 450 malin.   I shoot mainly 350gr speer Hot cores out of my 458x2", great bullet and tougher than the hornady 350s.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 01:40:13 AM »
thats why i prefer cast in a big bore. they will go to the boiler room at about any angle and through about any bone without deflection.
blue lives matter

Offline Tonk

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 07:45:24 PM »
I shot a mulie buck with my .338 once using a 225 grn Nosler Partition bullet. The bullet struck the front shoulder knocking him sideways, it channeled its was through the lungs and turned them to jello before breaking the offside shoulder and exiting the animal. The buck went 20 yards plowing up the dirt with his nose.  :)

Offline doeroller

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 05:11:31 AM »
  Like GB said, your shot was a little low. I have shot several deer this year with my Win 1885 in 45-70 loaded with the FTX bullet and have had no trouble. They penetrate to the point that I have not caught one. I assure you, the FTX 325 will break any bone on a deer sized animal and penetrate enough to reach and most likely exit from any angle if it does not deflect. I can say this based on field experience not theory.

Offline jro45

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 02:30:28 AM »
I would say that there is nothing wrong with the bullet. If I where you I would have shot higher the first time around but sh**  happens.

Offline jro45

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 10:51:52 PM »
I don't think you should be conserned about where the bullet went you got your deer had alot of walking to get it.

Offline fatercat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 12:29:09 AM »
come on guys. fell your arm bone, thats about the size of a deers leg bone. if a 325 gn bullet won't go through that and futher its got to be the bullet. there is nothing wrong with the shot. a 30-30 will go through a deer long ways. change bullets .

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 05:01:37 AM »
I'm with Lloyd, HC out of a big bore spells big trouble for whatever it hits. I shot a 5 pt. last weekend with my 500 S&W (410 gr. HC LFN) deer ran 20 yds and piled up. You should have the internal damage, it was awesome.