Author Topic: Replacement screw to secure Burris Signature Rings to Weaver-Style Base  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Retsof

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Hello. I've looked on Burris' and Brownell's web site, as well as looking through Brownell's catalog and doing a search on this web site. However, I still can't find the answer to my question. Maybe someone here can help or at least point me in the right direction.

I have a set of the Burris Signature Rings with the synthetic inserts, so the scope does not get marked up or scratched. I attach these rings to a weaver-style base. However, I really don't like the single screw that secures the rings to the base, since this screw has a small flat head that is somewhat difficult to tighten. I would like to find replacement screws that are either Allen-head or torx style (or for that matter any style but what I've got). Does anyone know the specs (screw length, size and pitch thread) of the original Burris screws? Thanks for any help you're able to give.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Replacement screw to secure Burris Signature Rings to Weaver-Style Base
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 01:39:22 PM »
They're 6-40x1", I bought a box of 100 socket head cuz they're one of my favorite rings, but I don't care for the factory screws either, if you just want a couple and can't find them locally, I'll send a couple to you if you PM me your mailing address.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Retsof

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 01:44:25 PM »
Tim,

Thanks for the reply. I shouldn't have a problem finding them but, if I do, I'll be sure to get back with you. You never know, when you'll need those extra screws. Anytime I get extra screws, they seem to grow legs.

BTW I don't know that I've ever correspnded with a more knowledgeable, courteous and helpful person as you. If the world were full of folks like you, it'd be a vastly better place.

Take care and thanks again.

Offline Retsof

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 03:49:41 AM »
Tim,

Since you obviously have a lot of experience with the Burris Signature Zee rings (based on your response to my previous question), I do have two other questions about these rings:

1) When you detach and then reattach these rings (assuming the same set of rings on the same scope), do they return reasonably close to zero? I don't often do this but there are times, when this may be necessary (as in having to put an already sighted-in back-up scope on).
2) According to the instructions, the inserts are to be used in like increments to move the point of aim, when first installing a scope (ie, a +/- 10 combo, etc.) The instructions (if I'm reading them correctly) state that you can do this either on the front ring or the rear ring. If the situation requires (and I do not yet know if it will), can you do this with both the front and rear ring?

That's it. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 05:04:26 AM »
I've removed the cross bolts and removed the scope and rings as a unit several times, but I've only checked the zero one time and is was off by a couple inches at 100yds, not what I'd call repeatable like you'd expect with good quick detach rings, but serviceable.

I've only had to use the offset inserts once on a 30mm scope several years ago, seems to me I just used them in the rear ring but I don't remember for sure, I centered the scope reticle using the Leupold mirror method, then with a laser bore sighter in the muzzle used different combinations of inserts to get the scope bore sighted, it took several attempts to get it right, but it worked fine.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Retsof

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 05:39:42 AM »
Thanks.