Author Topic: Stupid remark. I think  (Read 799 times)

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Stupid remark. I think
« on: January 26, 2010, 05:47:27 AM »
   A friend of mine was telling me that the 270 Win. takes a different case for a pump gun than it does for a bolt action.  ???. He said he loaded some ammo for a guy that were shot in a bolt action and they wouldn't chamber in the guys pump gun. I told him i didn't care much for his reloading practices and he sure as heck did something wrong. Please tell me i am right.
                   bobg

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Re: Stupid remark. I think
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 05:55:29 AM »
Your Right he either did not resize them or needs a small base die.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline Varmintnut260

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 05:56:18 AM »
Agreed! More than likely he didn't full length size the brass for the pump. You can get away with neck sizing brass in a bolt gun, but not in a pump/ semi auto. I would have to agree about his reloading practices, sounds like he did something wrong.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 08:19:54 AM »
Yep you are right. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 09:39:12 AM »
  Thanks folks. Now i feel better. He is loading for a 223 he recently bought. He picked a close to top end load out of his manual and that is what he went with. I ask him to bring the gun and reloading stuff to the house and we would try some different powder charges and see if we could get it to shoot better yet. His answer was. Never done that before in my life and i am not going to start now.  :(.

Offline Dill45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 10:14:10 AM »
Why are some people so stubborn about silly things?

Either way to your original question, you would have to FL re-size them before it would shoot in another gun.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 10:18:21 AM »
bobg

Do yourself a favor , don't set next to him at the range .  :o

Its that kind of thinking that will get someone else hurt , 9 times out of 10 !  >:(

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 10:52:11 AM »
  I hunted with this guy for 4 or 5 years. He is very safe to hunt with. stimpy you are right. I had a range set up in my back yard. When he shot there i stayed 20 feet behind him. Being the nice guy i am. ;D. i use to tell him my 14 year old granddaughter knew more about shooting off the bench with sand bags than he did.

Offline possum6

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 11:05:35 AM »
It amazes me how many fools, I'm not going to call them hand loaders, think they can stick primer, pour powder, and shove a bullet, then go shoot  ::)
I believe everything that happen's, or will happen,was created, or created in the future, GOD knew and created from the very beginning of the foundation of the universe.       Dale

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 12:27:40 PM »
I Always Liked    . A Full case of powder with XX gr Bullet Shoots great .    The Full case Is the killer!  :o   Never will tell ya what powder either.  ;)
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 03:00:10 PM »
In my experience with 760 & 7600 rifles it seems to me they have tighter chambers on the average. Properly full length resizied brass fired in another rifle may have a feed problem.  I never used a small base die for my 760 30-06 or 7600 7mm-08. That doesn't mean it's a bad idea to use one.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 03:47:37 PM »
I use the same dies to load for a Remington 760, Rem 700, and a Savage 110 all in .270 Winchester.   No problems but let me step back to when I was a kid with my Remington 760 in 270 Winchester. When I had a hundred pieces of brass in 270 I went to the guy who ran a local gunshop and reloaded for customers.  He asked that I bring my rifle in with me.  He adjusted the sizing die to make sure the case functioned in my rifle.  I had no problem with the loads, and was pleased that I paid for them with my haying money.

I spent a summer on a fire crew away from home.  Dad bought a younger brother a M760 and he helped himself to my ammunition.  The ammunition was returned because it would not function correctly in his rifle.  There was a slight difference in the chambers and mine was larger than his.

Once I was on my own and purchased a press, and reading on the subject a lot I started measuring cases for length.  I found those original cases had grown after a couple of loadings.  I bought a Forester case trimmer and that was a good fix.

But there was more to be learned.  The 270 Winchester case length shown in my manuals is 2.540.  But I found that new unloaded brass that I purchased was longer than that.  Next I put my calipers up against factory loaded ammunition and found out the case length exceeded 2.540.

While I load to each rifle, the M760 is the dedicated 150-grain rifle.  The Savage 110CL was the 130-grain rifle, but once the 140-grain bullets came out that was the bullet of choice. 

The last buck I took with the Remington 700 was with 150-grain Hornady SP that I had loaded for the Remington 760, no functioning problem.  When I was at the range I tried a few of that batch in the Savage 110CL and there was no problem.

I think the problem was the long case neck between my brother’s rifle and my 760.  One of the clues was when I started having problems chambering a round, which lead to trimming the case neck.  My rifle was manufactured in the early 1950’s; his rifle was purchased in 1964.  Most likely a different reamer cut his chamber.  I trim to 2.540.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 02:26:42 AM »
Redding is the only die set (to my knowledge) that explains how to set the resizing die for a single rifle, or multiple rifles of the same caliber.

You can also find this in your favorite reloading manual.

Offline 223fan

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 12:05:39 PM »
Maybe the guy just neck sizes.
XLI the one to go with.