Author Topic: I hit him so hard.....  (Read 1398 times)

Offline Cajun Gal

• Trade Count: (0)
I hit him so hard.....
« on: January 21, 2010, 04:34:44 AM »
Marsh Man and I hunted yesterday. We went to a place we haven't got to hunt all year due to the water being too high. Yesterday we got a boat and got across a bar bit and got to our stand.

I shot at a really nice 10 point. I was shooting my 30.06 because we were in Madison parish and gun season is still open. We couldn't find him, no blood, no nothing! I'm beginning to think my gun is off because I've done some pretty good shooting this year. The best I've ever shot in my life.

A few hours later a fairly nice 8 point came out. I shot him and he didn't drop but I heard him fall not far in the woods. Right at dark when we went to go and hunt the 8 point, we saw the white belly first. The closer we get to him I am getting a little concerned because I DON'T SEE NO HORNS! All these thoughts kept running through my mind. Had somebody been back there with a bow and shot a doe? What in the world????

We finally get to him and low and behold he's got bloody spots where his horns should be. We found both horns. They must have come off when he went down because they were maybe 5 to 10 steps from him. This is way too early for deer to be shedding horns. It's unheard of.

The sheriff of East Carroll Parish was hunting with my husband's brother and we met them on top of the levee. The Sheriff had shot a nice 10 point and they took pictures of the Sheriff with the deer and then when they grabbed a horn to load the buck, one of his horns fell off.

I had my camera with me but didn't have an SB card in it. I thought I could download picutres anyway by hooking the SB cord to the camera and the computer this morning but that didn't work.

I wonder if all the high water had something to do with it. Did they not get enough nutrients that they needed?

A fellow that Teddy and I talk to on another hunting board said I hit that buck so hard his horns popped off.  HHHHAAA!
NRA Lifer, Sec/Treas Northeast Louisiana Friends of NRA Committee, Board of Directors for Louisiana Wildlife Federation.  My two favorite things.......guns and jewlery.

Offline Cajun Gal

Re: I hit him so hard.....
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 04:35:50 AM »
BTW, Marsh Man is my darling husband. We are still newlywed.  Forgot y'all didn't know that.  He makes hunting a whole lot more fun than before I met him. 
NRA Lifer, Sec/Treas Northeast Louisiana Friends of NRA Committee, Board of Directors for Louisiana Wildlife Federation.  My two favorite things.......guns and jewlery.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 07:38:10 AM »
Hummm :-\   Your rut is pretty late over there isn't it?  Around December/January?  Seems like it would be a little early for them to be shedding...

Be about right for most of Jawja though.  I wanna do some shed hunting this year.   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline skyhigh_seller

• Trade Count: (57)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 08:33:36 AM »
Blame global warming.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 08:43:18 AM »
Same in Va. this year several bucks lost rack early . They got shot as does , a shame really .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Halwg

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 09:54:57 AM »
About 20 years ago, 1989 to be exact, I shot a buck during the WV gun season which is the week of Thanksgiving.  I had the same thing happen, one antler fell off when I shot the deer.  It was laying right beside where the deer fell.  I have never had that happen again, and the guys I was hunting with couldn't explain it, either.
The older I get...The better I was.

Offline Hunter Fishman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 11:01:40 AM »
REALLY? ??? what state & area are you in? south east Louisiana?
 I have been hearing people say they have already found sheds. One guy found a naturally shed fresh set on Christmas morning. Hes a guy I met on you tube. He might have a video of it posted already.
I don't know weather to congratulate you or say that I'm sorry to hear that. :-\

I am an avid shed hunter & I like to gather all info I can across the U.S about deer hunting but specifically antler growth & times they shed.

The deer I hunt are shedding as we speak. we are in the middle of a pretty bad storm & I'm wondering if this will drive the deer out of where they have been shedding for the past few years where I have been finding them. I hope they already dropped. That would mean they are buried under a few feet of snow.
I dont like to wait till the snow melts. I like finding em fresh off the head with blood still on em.

Most people dont know how much you can learn from shed hunting.

Offline Hunter Fishman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 11:05:29 AM »
now, when you look at the pedicle of the antler, Is it cleanly removed like when they shed naturally or is it uneven with part of the pedestal still attached?

Offline kansasj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 11:39:45 AM »
Marsh Man and I hunted yesterday. We went to a place we haven't got to hunt all year due to the water being too high. Yesterday we got a boat and got across a bar bit and got to our stand.

I shot at a really nice 10 point. I was shooting my 30.06 because we were in Madison parish and gun season is still open. We couldn't find him, no blood, no nothing! I'm beginning to think my gun is off because I've done some pretty good shooting this year. The best I've ever shot in my life.

A few hours later a fairly nice 8 point came out. I shot him and he didn't drop but I heard him fall not far in the woods. Right at dark when we went to go and hunt the 8 point, we saw the white belly first. The closer we get to him I am getting a little concerned because I DON'T SEE NO HORNS! All these thoughts kept running through my mind. Had somebody been back there with a bow and shot a doe? What in the world????

We finally get to him and low and behold he's got bloody spots where his horns should be. We found both horns. They must have come off when he went down because they were maybe 5 to 10 steps from him. This is way too early for deer to be shedding horns. It's unheard of.

The sheriff of East Carroll Parish was hunting with my husband's brother and we met them on top of the levee. The Sheriff had shot a nice 10 point and they took pictures of the Sheriff with the deer and then when they grabbed a horn to load the buck, one of his horns fell off.

I had my camera with me but didn't have an SB card in it. I thought I could download picutres anyway by hooking the SB cord to the camera and the computer this morning but that didn't work.

I wonder if all the high water had something to do with it. Did they not get enough nutrients that they needed?

A fellow that Teddy and I talk to on another hunting board said I hit that buck so hard his horns popped off.  HHHHAAA!

In Kansas most of the bucks shed their antlers in March.  It is now unsuual however to see some shed them this time of year as in our January 1-9 special doe season many times hunters shoot what they think is a big doe and it is a buck that has already dropped
Yesterday is history--tomorrow is a mystery--today is a gift!---That is why they call it the present!

Offline pozoutdoors

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 11:55:04 AM »
Here in Iowa I have shot a couple in past years in january during our doe season. This past Dec. the second weekend during shotgun season, I know of two guys who shot shed horn bucks!!! It seems to be a bit early here too. We did have cold weather a bit earlier than normal too!!!!

Offline HogFan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 05:34:25 PM »
The deer in AR usually shed early Jan-Feb. I have found sheds the first week in Dec. in SE AR before. Heck, I have only seen one deer since New Years that had antlers.

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 09:49:18 PM »
 I hunt in Grant County, Arkansas.  Our biggest rut was over by the first week in November, Bucks started losing their antlers in the middle of December.  I can't recall ever seeing this in the 38 years I've hunted.  No one has any idea, Game and Fish biologists included.  My theory is the early rut was the root cause, why it came so early, weeks before cold weather, I have no idea.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 12:53:19 AM »
As stated, lots depends on this happening. Mostly the nutrients that deer is able to get and his body's condition.

I had the same thing happen some years ago in New York State about mid November!!! I brought a good friend who was a newer hunter. He hadn't shot a buck yet but had a number of does under his belt. I had been watching a small buck and knew his haunts. I posted my friend on the fringe of one of these spots and left him to stand a couple hundred yards away watching the other direction. Couple hours later here comes that buck. he finds a sunny spot and plops down to lay up for the day. I wait and let him settle and ease out to get my friend. We get back, I show him the deer but he can not see horns. I tell him, don't worry, he has them, go ahead and shoot the deer. He does and he rolls in his bed and passes. We get up there and my friend proclaims its another doe!! he grabs the head and lo and behold, two bloody sockets. We roll the deer over and there is his little 6pt rack. That was the Saturday after Thanksgiving!!!

Congrats on the deer and STILL being able to hunt!!  Our season ended with the new year.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Dakota30.06

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 01:47:35 PM »
a few years back a buddy of mine shot a little 8 point...the deer went down but hadnt died...he walked up to him, fired a shot into the bucks neck. When the bucks head hit the ground the horns fell right off. This would have been either the last week in november or the 1st week of december. Turns out the buck had been hit in the front shoulder in archery season and he was all infected...pretty bad shape overall.

we assumed the infection was directly related to the buck losing his horns so early ???

Offline Hunter Fishman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 02:04:50 PM »
Turns out the buck had been hit in the front shoulder in archery season and he was all infected...pretty bad shape overall.

we assumed the infection was directly related to the buck losing his horns so early ???

That very well could be... :-\ 

And people wonder why some areas & states have such an early season. I did at one time.
The more I learn why the more I understand.

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 02:18:52 PM »

In Kansas most of the bucks shed their antlers in March.  It is now unsuual however to see some shed them this time of year as in our January 1-9 special doe season many times hunters shoot what they think is a big doe and it is a buck that has already dropped
I would say that at least in eastern and central Kansas most have shed by mid February.  I can't recall ever seeing a buck in March and it's not at all uncommon to see bucks with solid growth during April's turkey season.

Offline highwayman

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 04:33:37 PM »
was he wounded in any way?????

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 03:22:59 AM »
Some of the bucks is central Missouri Ozarks were evidently dropping their antlers by the end of December during black powder season.  A friend of mine trailed a buck, in the snow, and found both of them.

RJ

Offline Hunter Fishman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 12:51:47 PM »
One guy found a naturally shed fresh set on Christmas morning. Hes a guy I met on you tube. He might have a video of it posted already.

heres a link to the video he posted for me if you want to see it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTXJrKyg810

Matched set... not bad. :-\

Offline ttank0789

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 11:47:49 AM »
Last December (2008) some buddies and I were hunting in southern Ohio for the muzzleloader season and when we were dragging the small 6 point my buddy shot one of its antlers popped off. We were really surprised by it. When we got to the check station someone had a buck in their truck and is was clearly obvious that it had very recently shed both its antlers.
"The most dangerous moment comes with victory."  
                                       -Napoleon Bonaparte-

"Have I not commanded you? Be Strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."
                                       -Joshua 1:9-