Author Topic: LFN vs. WFN for 50 AE  (Read 885 times)

Offline HHI 812

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
LFN vs. WFN for 50 AE
« on: January 23, 2010, 11:50:58 PM »
Veral,

Just got a Freedom Arms in 50 AE, and considering getting one of your molds in either LFN vs. WFN, weighing between 300 and 325 grains plain base, because I'll be pushing it if at most, 1200 fps, although I know it can do a lot more. Wondering what advantages either the LFN or WFN has? Would like to use the bullet to shoot long range playing, as well as for hunting. Wondering if I would be losing killing/stopping power if I went with a LFN @ 1150 fps? I'm sure using your DV formula that the WFN @ 1150 FPS will have a higher DV, but wondering if there is that much difference between the 2 designs? Any advantage with 300 grain vs. 325 grains? Thanks for your advise.

Dennis

Offline Veral

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Lead Bullet Technology
Re: LFN vs. WFN for 50 AE
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 08:08:25 PM »
  If you want to keep the weight low, definately go with the WFN to get max bearing length, which is mandatory for accuracy.  I wouldn't recommend the LFN in weights under 350 gr, as bearing length suffers.
Both will kill very well with 1150 fps velocity, but of coarse the WFN will hammer things a bit harder, yet not be over the maximum optimum DV of 135, where kill speed begins to increase.
Veral Smith

Offline HHI 812

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 09:49:22 PM »
What is a good light weight WFN for the .500"? A 350 grain would be the lightest for the LFN then? How would the OWC work, and what weight? Again I'm looking at 1150 fps max, and a plinker load in the 900-1000? Would these still be good plinkers at long range?

Offline Veral

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Lead Bullet Technology
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 06:48:11 PM »
  I believe 300 gr would be about the minimum weight that would give excellent accuracy with the WFN.
I have to look at my cut charts to see what I've cut that works well. (I remove them if I ever get a bad report.)  Maybe the best option for you would be to just send in an order for the minimum weight that I know would work, using the WFN profile.  When I see the pattern set up on the mold lathe, I'm looking at a 10X profile and can see whether the bullet is a good design or not.  30 years of experiance lets me see things that others wouldn't!  If any customer sends in an order for any off the chart bullet, and gives his weight parimeters, I'll call and discuss it if I see a problem, and return the order and payment if we don't come up with a solution that will give us both happy faces.

The concept behind the OWC is to make near as possible to a full wadcutter and be able to drive it at higher velocities than full WC's will handle.  (They go wild with supersonic flight.)  But the OWC still isn't a long range bullet.  I gives good accuracy to 100 yards when driven fast, but not as good as bullets with better form stability, which simply means a nice ogive to make it slip through the air.

Veral Smith